Old 03-16-2010, 07:53 AM   #1
avdlaan

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Set Lock button to Password Lock

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,

I'm curious, before upgrading to the latest OS (v5.0.0.509) my lock button on the top left used to use the password lock. Ever since upgrading, now when I press the lock button, it uses the keyboard lock. I want to set it back to what it was, I prefer it to use the password lock rather than the keyboard lock.

Any way to change this back? I have it set for password lock when I holster it, but would like the lock button to do the same (as it used to).

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2010, 08:36 AM   #2
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

Wirelessly posted (White and Nerdy)

What's the difference? I thought they were the same thing
Old 03-16-2010, 08:43 AM   #3
avdlaan

A password lock forces the user to enter a password the next time they wish to use the BB. A keyboard lock locks the keyboard and the user has to actually hit the lock button on the top left to unlock the keyboard first before entering the password.

I use the password lock to ensure no one can pick up my phone and start reading what's on it. I hate, however, having to hit the unlock button first before being able to type in my password.

It didn't work this way before upgrading to OS 5.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:22 PM   #4
Smacca
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Q10
Carrier: O2 Ireland

I have to say this is driving me crazy! Tomorrow is Saint Patrick's Day -- suppose I am taking the traditional tiny sip of an alcoholic beverage in a bar with my friends, and I step away from the table or counter, whether to go outside for a cigarette or to the bathroom, leaving my Blackberry on the table top behind me. And supposing my friends became curious, and wanted to scroll down through my messages...under the old OS they couldn't because I would swiftly press the top left 'lock' button and they would need the password -- but now they can, because I have no effective way to password lock it!

Any and all solutions gratefully received...and Happy Saint Patrick's Day to all on BlackBerry Forums!
Old 03-16-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
cameron.personal
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: T-Mobile

I am running 5.0.0.0.411 and pressing the top lock button simply locks the keyboard if you don't have a security password enabled. If you do have a password enabled then the lock button will lock the device and a password will need to be input to unlock.

Obviously this may have changed with .509 and that is why I downgraded back to .411.

Cameron
Old 03-19-2010, 09:32 PM   #6
SgtRick
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smacca View Post
I have to say this is driving me crazy! Tomorrow is Saint Patrick's Day -- suppose I am taking the traditional tiny sip of an alcoholic beverage in a bar with my friends, and I step away from the table or counter, whether to go outside for a cigarette or to the bathroom, leaving my Blackberry on the table top behind me. And supposing my friends became curious, and wanted to scroll down through my messages...under the old OS they couldn't because I would swiftly press the top left 'lock' button and they would need the password -- but now they can, because I have no effective way to password lock it!

Any and all solutions gratefully received...and Happy Saint Patrick's Day to all on BlackBerry Forums!
Solution....Keep your BB with you. I never lay mine down anywhere. If its not in my hand its in its holster. Safe from prying eyes and curious minds. Works every time.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
bb10

Carrier: ..
Default downgrading back to .411

excuse me peeps, i upgraded to the latest software which has the whole annoying lock button problem were it locks ur keyboard and not password lock when u press the lock button on top. Now i just dont know how to downgrade back to the old software .411

do i just re-install the file for .411 and then delete vendor then plug in my bb??
i did that and it never worked :s

it will be appreciated if sumone could let me know

cheers
Old 04-19-2010, 03:34 AM   #8
ixlwqwmqtx
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: Vodafone UK

I am using 5.0.0.586 and the "Lock" button performs a "keyboard lock" and not a "password lock". Is there a third-party app with might allow the user to re-assign the button to "password lock"?
Old 04-19-2010, 11:56 AM   #9
kolev
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: TMobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb10 View Post
excuse me peeps, i upgraded to the latest software which has the whole annoying lock button problem were it locks ur keyboard and not password lock when u press the lock button on top. Now i just dont know how to downgrade back to the old software .411

do i just re-install the file for .411 and then delete vendor then plug in my bb??
i did that and it never worked :s

it will be appreciated if sumone could let me know

cheers
You can install the BEIKS Keyboard Locker 2 (not the old version!) and it will take care of locking the keyboard without password requirement:

BEIKS' new Keyboard Locker 2 for BlackBerry puts a stop to random calls in latest BlackBerry OS version
"A pocket full of knowledge"
Old 04-19-2010, 12:17 PM   #10
avdlaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolev View Post
You can install the BEIKS Keyboard Locker 2 (not the old version!) and it will take care of locking the keyboard without password requirement
I think you missed the point of this thread, the lock button with the new OS already locks the keyboard without a password. The purpose of this thread is that guys like myself hate it! I want it set back to the old way where the lock button activates the password lock, NOT the keyboard lock.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:29 PM   #11
kolev
Thumbs Must Hurt

I am sorry if I had missed it, yes...probably because most of the people that call me want the simple lock without the password.

And their claims - and my own experience, actually - is that you can't lock the keyboard without having a password.

Unless you have an already newer OS version...have to double-check that too
Old 04-19-2010, 01:53 PM   #12
gzashew

Model: 9000
Carrier: MTel
Exclamation

What would happen if you enable the "Password" opion available under the "Options" icon on your BlackBerry? Would that help?
Old 04-19-2010, 06:51 PM   #13
sugar
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Same issue here. Pressing the button triggers a keyboard lock and no longer a password lock.
It strated after I upgraded to the latest OS from 4.6.x

From what I read on other forums, looks like it might be an OS bug unless it is a deliberate choice given that most users do not password protect their BBs.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:27 PM   #14
kolev
Thumbs Must Hurt

And again, did you check if a password is enabled and specified in the configuration?
"A pocket full of knowledge"
Old 04-19-2010, 11:58 PM   #15
hokie123

Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (8900)

The latest versions of OS 5 have reinstated the K key as a shortcut for password lock (as long as you turn off dial from home screen option).
No, it's still not using the shoulder key, but it does provide a one key method.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:29 AM   #16
gzashew

Model: 9000
Carrier: MTel

Could you confirm that the password option is enabled, please? I believe that this is the problem, because after OS upgrade this option automatically gets disabled and the user should re-enable it manually. If the password option is enabled, the device should ask for a password each time it gets unlocked.

Regards,

George.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:19 PM   #17
kiggs1881

Model: tour
Carrier: veriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzashew View Post
Could you confirm that the password option is enabled, please? I believe that this is the problem, because after OS upgrade this option automatically gets disabled and the user should re-enable it manually. If the password option is enabled, the device should ask for a password each time it gets unlocked.

Regards,

George.
My password is enabled and still, when i press the lock key on top of the bb or the A button, there is still no request for a password on unlock. However, after an hour it will timeout and then ask for a password- still want an answer for how I can manually lock it and enter a password on unlock.

thx
Old 04-24-2010, 07:25 AM   #18
sugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolev View Post
And again, did you check if a password is enabled and specified in the configuration?
Yes. After 5 min.
K short dial does not work.

Last edited by sugar; 04-24-2010 at 07:27 AM..
Old 04-24-2010, 05:19 PM   #19
Smacca
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Q10
Carrier: O2 Ireland

Even more infuriating is that when you go into Options --> Screen/Keyboard --> Left Side Convenience Key Opens: and choose Password Lock...it does NOT work!

I wonder does RIM even know that this is a problem, and that it is annoying at least three loyal customers on this thread alone?

Oh well...
Old 04-24-2010, 06:10 PM   #20
E-Phone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smacca View Post
Even more infuriating is that when you go into Options --> Screen/Keyboard --> Left Side Convenience Key Opens: and choose Password Lock...it does NOT work!

I wonder does RIM even know that this is a problem, and that it is annoying at least three loyal customers on this thread alone?

Oh well...
Setting the Left Side Convenience Key to Password Lock does actually work. Something should be wrong with your device. Another option is to use the Lock symbol that is available on one of the folders in your BB. Presing "K" also works. All theree options will paswword lock the devise.
Closed Thread