BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 09:30 AM   #1
Gornemant

Model: 8700V
Carrier: Swisscom
Default BB connection methods / services

Please Login to Remove!

I'm pretty surprised that this isn't in the BBFaq yet, I've wasted hours searching through the forum to get the right answer but I just can't find anything detailed and/or useful so here goes for a new topic

I'm actually using a BB (8700V) from work which is using a BES, I got myself some time toying around with it and also tried some third party applications, including opera mini and Google Talk, though none work (I tried calling my carrier for the GT service books but according to him it's not up to them to provide the service books, which seems to be wrong if I read this thread but that's another question). So I just thought it might be the policies applied by the BES and didn't look further, until I tried to use a brand new BB (fresh out of the box no policies or anything else) and again not a single application works, except for the build-in web browser, I also didn't get any APN options.
I've also read about a good dozen of thread concerning data plans but I still don't really have a clue on what those are and the various service they provide :P

So long text short: what are the various connection methods / services for the BlackBerry provided by the carrier and what are they for?
(we already got the gsm grps and so on so that's done :P )
phone services: phone (duh) sms mms wap (am I forgetting something? )
BES service: I know the carrier has to enable that so that you can redirect emails from the BES server to the BB, it also provides internet access for the build-in web browser if I'm not mistaking.
Bis service: question: does this provide further internet access or not? (as in do some third party apps need this to work?)
Data plan: honestly... ?

in extreme short: I'm confused
Old 01-18-2007, 08:15 AM   #2
Gornemant

Model: 8700V
Carrier: Swisscom

crud, I guess I'm not the only one confused
(well the other option would be a "LawL n00b!1" comment but since there is none )
Closed Thread