Old 09-15-2005, 04:25 PM   #41
xxhiyanxx
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7520
Carrier: nextel

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14pups

"We expect and EDGE-based BlackBerry 8700 "Electron" full keyboard smartphone using an Intel XScale processor, and CDMA 1xEV-DO-based and IDEN-based half=keyboard smartphones with SureType predictive text. ."
you dont see IDEN-based half keyboard smartphone in that part of the thread dawg?

or are you expecting the 7100 to be released in ever iden market except for nextel in north america

Last edited by xxhiyanxx; 09-15-2005 at 04:28 PM..
Old 09-15-2005, 04:32 PM   #42
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

yes i see iden but that doesnt mean that nextel will buy it now does it? southern link doesnt offer half the phones that nextel does and its iden based as well. Boost Mobile has phones that nextel doesnt and vice versa
Old 09-15-2005, 04:36 PM   #43
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Nextel will get it. Keep in mind that there's another thread about it, already - the 7100i.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:38 PM   #44
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

i know jibi but I wanted to make my point that you cant assume anything if it isnt specific you dont know for sure
Old 09-15-2005, 05:17 PM   #45
mrogers

Model: 8100

Bigger pics are now on hofo. You can see on the keyboard there's a new key next to the M key, where the sym key is on the 72xx.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:44 PM   #46
Mr Pink57
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrogers
Bigger pics are now on hofo. You can see on the keyboard there's a new key next to the M key, where the sym key is on the 72xx.
And it is one ugly mother trucker!!!

pink
Old 09-16-2005, 06:44 AM   #47
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink57
And it is one ugly mother trucker!!!

pink
Ya got that right, why didn't they just stick a collapsable attenna on the thing?
Old 09-16-2005, 08:58 AM   #48
tomh009
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
i'd say that be a violation of their NDA, unless they came from RIM, so you may not want to tread down those waters and get someone in trouble...
There are enough RIM employees walking out and about with Electrons on hip that it's not hard to see one even without NDA (if you live in Waterloo, that is).
Old 09-16-2005, 09:06 AM   #49
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

...but this isn't a RIM employee, most likely. it appears to be a Cingular employee, which I will assume is under an NDA. perhaps not. we've had reps show us equipment during meetings, but thats a lot different than taking pictures and posting them on the internet.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:23 AM   #50
ajg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: M600i
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
I haven't had time to read all the other posts yet so forgive me if this is not new info.

Source: Andrew Lee of TD Newcrest 14 Sep. 2005
(excerpt)

"We expect and EDGE-based BlackBerry 8700 "Electron" full keyboard smartphone using an Intel XScale processor, and CDMA 1xEV-DO-based and IDEN-based half=keyboard smartphones with SureType predictive text. RIM's product transition strategy is to have its next-generation smartphones commercially available shortly after being announced, so as to avoid stalling the channel. Last year the BB 7100g (t?) smartphone was announced on Sept. 08/04 and began shipping exclusively with T-Mobile in the US in early Oct/04. We suspect T-Mobile USA may have a similiar exclusive window with the Electron this fall, likely lasting 60 days, and note that the carrier plans to launch an EDGE service across its network by the end of Sept/05. In terms of Europe, our checks lead us to believe that Electron will launch towards the Nov/Dec/05 timeframe."
Good quote. I did hear one deviation to the processor. My understanding is that it is using a special IBM processor that will be running approx. 300MHz at 1.5v. I can't remember the link nor can I substantiate it, but I just wanted to though it out there for you guys to pick appart.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:59 AM   #51
14pups

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajg
Good quote. I did hear one deviation to the processor. My understanding is that it is using a special IBM processor that will be running approx. 300MHz at 1.5v. I can't remember the link nor can I substantiate it, but I just wanted to though it out there for you guys to pick appart.
Not sure about the processor but I heard from a major BB VAR here in the states yesterday that Cingular will be the first carrier to offer the 8700.

This would mean that the info quoted in my first post from the TD Newcrest analyst could be suspect. Also T-Mobile has been cutting back on staff and some key people have left.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:25 PM   #52
Soapm

Model: 9900

Quote:
Also T-Mobile has been cutting back on staff and some key people have left.
I was wondering when this would happen, TMO has the cheapest rates yet 24X7 customer service. Now i'm no business expert but ?????
Old 09-17-2005, 01:59 PM   #53
MobileRC

Model: 8300
Carrier: Rogers

the one I saw was cingular branded
Old 09-17-2005, 05:18 PM   #54
14pups

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm
I was wondering when this would happen, TMO has the cheapest rates yet 24X7 customer service. Now i'm no business expert but ?????
Well so much for my theory that T-Mobile was getting lean and mean because they were going to be sold by their parent company;

Deutsche Telekom Confirms Keeping T-Mobile USA Unit

DOW JONES NEWSWIRES
September 16, 2005 5:36 a.m.

--

FRANKFURT (Dow Jones)--Deutsche Telekom AG (DT) Friday confirmed it has decided to keep its U.S. wireless arm, T-Mobile USA Inc.

The Wall Street Journal earlier Friday reported that the German telecoms company decided to keep the unit, quelling rumors that the fourth-biggest U.S. cellular carrier is up for sale. It cited people familiar with the situation.

Deutsche Telekom management has long debated whether to sell T-Mobile USA, merge it with another U.S. wireless operator or keep it and continue to invest billions of dollars in its network.

As recently as May, Deutsche Telekom Chief Executive Kai-Uwe Ricke was floating the idea to investors of selling the U.S. operation, but he decided against it, partly because the response was negative.

Deutsche Telekom spokesman Andreas Leigers confirmed remarks made by Ricke in an interview with Frankfurter Allgemeinen Zeitung.

Ricke told the paper he sees no reason to dispose of the U.S. unit. Instead, he said, Deutsche Telekom aims to expand the unit and participate in the sale of new wireless network spectrum next year. "The U.S. is and will continue to be a growth engine for us," he added.

Some top Deutsche Telekom executives have argued the company should sell T-Mobile USA and use the proceeds to make acquisitions in Europe instead of spending as much as $10 billion during the next few years to build a faster network in the U.S.

Growth at T-Mobile USA has helped Deutsche Telekom to generate more overall sales growth than some European peers, such as Dutch incumbent Royal KPN NV (KPN) and Switzerland's Swisscom AG (SCM).

Deutsche Telekom's unit T-Mobile, which operates its wireless networks in Europe and the U.S., posted a 17% rise in second-quarter EBITDA adjusted for special items, to EUR2.5 billion. It gained 1.9 million more customers during the quarter.

T-Mobile USA was again the strongest growth engine with 972,000 subscriber additions, lifting its tally to 19.2 million and boosting its net income 61% to $387 million.

Analysts at Independent Research Friday said that Deutsche Telekom's decision to retain its U.S. unit should moderately help the shares as the unit is the group's most important growth generator.

But the brokerage, that has an accumulate rating on Deutsche Telekom stock, warns that the decision will limit the company's financial means for necessary strategic investments in important European markets, possible limiting long-term growth perspectives.

At 0951 GMT, Deutsche Telekom stock were up EUR0.15, or 1% at EUR15.30, while the DAX benchmark index was 1.3% higher.

-By Joon Knapen, Dow Jones Newswires; +49-69-29725509; [email address]
Old 09-18-2005, 10:17 PM   #55
paulmorley
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Default Electron Repost

Doesn't look too much better but I did a bit of level adjustments in Photoshop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front2.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	388  
Old 09-19-2005, 07:38 AM   #56
spblat

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileRC
mp3 and polyphonic
16 mb ram
64 flash
Why do I need MP3 on a device with such scarce memory? Just for ringtones? Or can I start fantasizing about using edge to stream music directly to my phone from the server in my garage?
Old 09-19-2005, 02:56 PM   #57
T-Roy
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Darth Vader

Quote:
Originally Posted by spblat
Why do I need MP3 on a device with such scarce memory? Just for ringtones? Or can I start fantasizing about using edge to stream music directly to my phone from the server in my garage?
I think its just ringtones... I don't see streaming media being a big take off on any edge equipment because of speed/cost. but maybe im wrong
Old 09-19-2005, 09:59 PM   #58
RMBlackBerry
No longer Registered.

Model: 7520

does anyone have any good pics of this new bb?
Old 09-19-2005, 10:32 PM   #59
whsbuss

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMBlackBerry
does anyone have any good pics of this new bb?
Just the rumored ones floating around the net. No one has seen the real deal yet.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:04 AM   #60
idealist

PIN: 240F8BEC

If I post this on the wrong thread forgive me, but I have a question about the new "Electron". If cingular has it first will it be unlocked like I hear their phones are? I use TMO data plan and I would really like to try it out since it is already EDGE enabled. Or would I be better off waiting till the TMO cows come home?
Closed Thread