BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 04:37 PM   #1
tmass
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: VZW
Question Browser Configuration choice which to use?

Please Login to Remove!

I have an 8830 under options and configurations, I have a choice to choose between internet and blackberry browser. Is the intenet configuration mean the data is access via VZW and then BB configuration means it accesses data thru the company enterprise server. Is this correct??
Old 10-22-2007, 04:42 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

it only determines the "emulation" of the browser, not from wher it draws data.
I keep mine set to Internet Explorer. There may times or websites that are hard to load in which you may need to change the setting to another choice.

Roll Tide!
Old 10-23-2007, 08:59 AM   #3
tmass
Thumbs Must Hurt

Then how do i know where it draws data from? Enterprise server or VZW access?
Old 10-23-2007, 10:18 AM   #4
vongillern
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmass View Post
Then how do i know where it draws data from? Enterprise server or VZW access?
I was told by my company's messaging group that the Blackberry browser accesses the Enterprise server to gain access to the Internet. This gives the company the ability to track your usage. If you don't want your usage tracked, use the other browser.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:20 AM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

They can track it either way, either browser.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:01 PM   #6
tmass
Thumbs Must Hurt

Arrow

I was told before when I had a BB with two browsers that the BB browser went thru the Co. Internet connection and the Internet Browser went thru the service providers(VZW) internet connection. Short of confiscating the phone(which I own) I don't see how they can tell where I've been if I use the internet browser. But I'm hearing thats not so?
Old 10-24-2007, 05:47 AM   #7
brittonx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

In your Bookmarks, you can set which "Browser" to use for each separate bookmark. the "Internet Browser" goes through your carrier directly. The "BlackBerry Browser" goes through your company BES.

I agree with the earlier poster that if your company wants to they can see where you have gone with either browser.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:51 AM   #8
tmass
Thumbs Must Hurt

So basically, for the 8830, if under Options/advanced Options/browser I set the "Default Browser Configuration to Internet then I will access the internet thru my carrier whenever i open the browser. I'm still not sure if I can understand how the company can see where I go if i use the carrier connection...but i don't know everything.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:01 AM   #9
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

I don't know everything either, but I do know that if you are on a BES system, using their BlackBerry (or even your BB connected to their BES system) they can track your browser usage from either browser, it does not matter where the "connection" or data flows from.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:10 AM   #10
Chichum
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

As a BES admin, you can find anything you want. If you were on my BES, I can even track all your calls, Text messages, internet browsing, and well everything you do that uses the VZW network. So if you are that worried about your company tracking you, you shouldn't be doing that kind of stuff on your company provided phone (or even your company provided BES services)
Old 10-24-2007, 01:29 PM   #11
tmass
Thumbs Must Hurt

I've got more than one email account on my phone. My personal email. Can they read that too?
Old 10-24-2007, 01:39 PM   #12
Perfect Storm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
it only determines the "emulation" of the browser, not from wher it draws data.
I keep mine set to Internet Explorer. There may times or websites that are hard to load in which you may need to change the setting to another choice.

Roll Tide!
Holy crap, I'm going to correct you on something!

Emulation mode determines emulation. The browser configuration is another story:

Internet Browser Pulls data through RIM's BIS servers. It doesn't touch your company's network and they cannot see stuff as it comes through. It's possible they can pull it off your device after the fact though.

BlackBerry Browser pulls data through your BES and allows you to access intranet resources. It is a different browser configuration and in some cases the BES MDS renders data differently than the BIS MDS. Think of it as using your company's network as a proxy server.

While both browsers are part of the same application, they can be considered 2 different applications.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:59 AM   #13
rji2goleez

Default Can't get to google calendar sync

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Storm View Post
Holy crap, I'm going to correct you on something!

Emulation mode determines emulation. The browser configuration is another story:

Internet Browser Pulls data through RIM's BIS servers. It doesn't touch your company's network and they cannot see stuff as it comes through. It's possible they can pull it off your device after the fact though.

BlackBerry Browser pulls data through your BES and allows you to access intranet resources. It is a different browser configuration and in some cases the BES MDS renders data differently than the BIS MDS. Think of it as using your company's network as a proxy server.

While both browsers are part of the same application, they can be considered 2 different applications.

I'm reading this with interest. First, I'm admitted newbie but have used treo and windows mobile devices in the past.

OK, this discussion is of interest to me because Google announced blackberry calendar sync software for Google Calendar. I go to the link on my 8830 and I get a message saying that calendar sync is only for BB users using the BB browser. I've played with various settings on BB 8830, either changing the default browser to the BB browser and/or specifying the BB browser for the intended link but still get the same message.

So . . . I'm puzzled on how to know, when I'm using one browser versus the other. I would like to try Google's Calendar snc but this is important from the aspect of BES traffic versus BIS. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by rji2goleez; 12-13-2007 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: add't info
Old 12-13-2007, 11:08 AM   #14
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Carrier: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by rji2goleez View Post
I'm reading this with interest. First, I'm admitted newbie but have used treo and windows mobile devices in the past.

OK, this discussion is of interest to me because Google announced blackberry calendar sync software for Google Calendar. I go to the link on my 8830 and I get a message saying that calendar sync is only for BB users using the BB browser. I've played with various settings on BB 8830, either changing the default browser to the BB browser and/or specifying the BB browser for the intended link but still get the same message.

So . . . I'm puzzled on how to know, when I'm using one browser versus the other. I would like to try Google's Calendar snc but this is important from the aspect of BES traffic versus BIS. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
If you're on BES use the Internet Browser and set the emulation to Blackberry. Any time you want to hit a site that needs to detect your phone as a Blackberry you need to have the emulation to to Blackberry in the browser.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:23 AM   #15
rji2goleez

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98 View Post
If you're on BES use the Internet Browser and set the emulation to Blackberry. Any time you want to hit a site that needs to detect your phone as a Blackberry you need to have the emulation to to Blackberry in the browser.
Let apologize by reminding you of my BB newbie status. How do I know if I'm BES? I get my email from both BES and BIS but I don't know what that means when I open my browser regardless of emulation setting. Right now, Google apparently thinks I'm on Internet Browser even if I set emulation to BB Browser . . .

Thanks!
Old 12-18-2007, 03:51 PM   #16
slate

Model: 8310
Carrier: Rogers

Does anyone know whether or not the default browser configuration can be set as a Global policy from the BES? That is, can I, as the BES admin set an IT policy that makes all connected devices use internet browser as the default setting. Thanks very much for any help you can offer.
Closed Thread