Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 12:13 AM   #1
genearch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon
Default VZNavigator... not bad at all

Please Login to Remove!

Using VZNavigator on my 8130, not a bad app at all. Over the last few days I've tried several including:

amAzeGps: download problem and too slow
Mapquest Navigator: Nice but not integrated with address book and the UI is terrible to enter an address
MS Live Search: No directions to an address?

VZ navigator is pretty darned nice. Voices plenty loud, directions clear and the UI is actually pretty good. For now, this is my app of choice.

Oh, it works fine with the GPSlim 240
Old 11-17-2007, 01:20 AM   #2
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (9900: BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

WLS allows you to put addresses in the search box and get directions to them. It is equal to GMM but not as good as 3D moving maps like Telenav.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:53 AM   #3
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by genearch View Post
VZ navigator is pretty darned nice. Voices plenty loud, directions clear and the UI is actually pretty good. For now, this is my app of choice.

Oh, it works fine with the GPSlim 240
Just out of curiosity... why are you using a Bluetooth GPS puck with VZnav and the 8130. You do know that the 8130 has a built-in GPS receiver which is active for VZnavigator, right?
Old 11-17-2007, 08:27 AM   #4
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
Just out of curiosity... why are you using a Bluetooth GPS puck with VZnav and the 8130. You do know that the 8130 has a built-in GPS receiver which is active for VZnavigator, right?
Classic... :lol:

He might have used the puck to test the other apps in his post, but realized that VZNav also worked with the puck as well. Also, rumor has it that if you go into VZNav and set it to the follow-me map and then ALT-ESC to the Home screen and start up another GPS aware app that it'll work with that app as well. It would be good if others would test this. Supposedly this was tested on an 8830 with .176 and VZNav on it.

BTW, to the original poster.... by using/paying VZNav you're not fighting the cause. :thumbsdown:

Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 11-17-2007 at 08:30 AM..
Old 11-17-2007, 12:20 PM   #5
genearch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
It's active if you pay $10 per month. I bought the puck for other uses and tested it in the Navigator, I removed the $10 service from my account.

Last edited by genearch; 11-17-2007 at 12:25 PM..
Old 11-17-2007, 12:22 PM   #6
genearch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog View Post
Wirelessly posted (9900: BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

WLS allows you to put addresses in the search box and get directions to them. It is equal to GMM but not as good as 3D moving maps like Telenav.
I wasn't too clear... I meant to say that it doesn't use the built in address book. No fun typing addresses,street,zip in there.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:12 PM   #7
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Quote:
It's active if you pay $10 per month. I bought the puck for other uses and tested it in the Navigator, I removed the $10 service from my account.
Wait, you're telling me that you kept VZNav and are using it with a GPS puck without having to pay $10 a month? Please clarify this, but that's interesting info.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:42 AM   #8
genearch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98 View Post
Wait, you're telling me that you kept VZNav and are using it with a GPS puck without having to pay $10 a month? Please clarify this, but that's interesting info.
Correct...
Old 11-18-2007, 07:19 AM   #9
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Correct...
Hang on a sec... VZnavigator, and the 8130, have not yet been out for 1 month.
What's probably happening here is that you've paid your $10 per month... for the first month (or will pay the $10 for the first month on your next bill.) ... and they can't stop service until that full month is completed at the end of your billing cycle.

I would imagine that after your 1 month, VNnavigator will stop working entirely. Verizon hasn't cancelled your VZnav subscription yet.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:52 AM   #10
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

^^^ I dunno about that. I'm willing to wait and see, but the last time I canceled an "Option Service" it's "off" almost immediately. What's interesting here is that apperently if the above is correct then the GPS capabilities are somewhat "carrier controlled". At least at the GPS gateway levels anyway. Others have also mentioned that if you leave VZNav working in the background on the "Follow Me Map", that other apps can access the GPS as well.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:46 PM   #11
genearch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Hang on a sec... VZnavigator, and the 8130, have not yet been out for 1 month.
What's probably happening here is that you've paid your $10 per month... for the first month (or will pay the $10 for the first month on your next bill.) ... and they can't stop service until that full month is completed at the end of your billing cycle.

I would imagine that after your 1 month, VNnavigator will stop working entirely. Verizon hasn't cancelled your VZnav subscription yet.
No it was canceled immediately. How do I know? Because I tried it 5 minutes before I called VZW. Then, 5 minutes after the call I tried again and it failed to find the GPS. At that point I powered on my puck, gave it a minute to lock into a satellite and tested VZ Navigator again and it worked fine. I specifically wanted to test it with a puck, that's why I did the before/after tests.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:58 PM   #12
knipknup
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
No it was canceled immediately. How do I know? Because I tried it 5 minutes before I called VZW. Then, 5 minutes after the call I tried again and it failed to find the GPS. At that point I powered on my puck, gave it a minute to lock into a satellite and tested VZ Navigator again and it worked fine. I specifically wanted to test it with a puck, that's why I did the before/after tests.
Dude, you ROCK!!! Hopefully VZ won't catch up with that in less that 5 years...
Old 11-20-2007, 11:46 AM   #13
gaijindragonslayer
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130

Does anyone know how to use the VZnav option of sending a "place message" to other verizon phones? Meant to be an option in the "message" center but no go on my 8130. A rep claims it's inside the VZnav but still no go. Am I missing something?

Also does the puck provide a stronger signal? My 8130 can do "follow me" well but not find me outside or inside. Follow me is razor sharp even in NYC but try and get a snap shot and it's often round the bend or that's me
Old 11-20-2007, 02:00 PM   #14
Mortgage_It
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Is there a way to keep the back light on the entire time while using Navigator? I have the 8830 and the highest setting I see is 2 minutes.
8130 (current)
Old 11-20-2007, 06:59 PM   #15
Mortgage_It
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijindragonslayer View Post
Does anyone know how to use the VZnav option of sending a "place message" to other verizon phones? Meant to be an option in the "message" center but no go on my 8130. A rep claims it's inside the VZnav but still no go. Am I missing something?

Also does the puck provide a stronger signal? My 8130 can do "follow me" well but not find me outside or inside. Follow me is razor sharp even in NYC but try and get a snap shot and it's often round the bend or that's me
I experimented with VZNav a little this early afternoon while it was running, I did not see this option. Could you explain further what you are looking for? I'm not sure I understand.
8130 (current)
Old 12-19-2007, 08:32 PM   #16
bhw
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Default VZNav and Puck

First:
I tried doing alt-cancel while VZNav was running in follow-me mode. I then started up AMaze, and it worked from the GPS! So that does work on the 8130 from Verizon.

Second:
Now, I'd like to know if, using a puck, the VZNav program still works in December for genearch. I'm wondering about this because my understanding is that VZNav downloads maps from a server and I'm wondering if the downloads are still active even though the subscription was cancelled and a puck is now being used as the GPS location source. THat would mean that the maps are always available and the way Verizon controls the product is through turning the GPS in the device off and on and perhaps turning off or on the access to tower triangulation if that is also a part of their GPS services as the GPS source.

Finally,
Is voice direction still active without the subscription?

Thanks very much,
Bruce

Last edited by bhw; 12-19-2007 at 08:33 PM..
Old 12-19-2007, 08:47 PM   #17
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98 View Post
Classic... :lol:
BTW, to the original poster.... by using/paying VZNav you're not fighting the cause. :thumbsdown:
I am gonna go buy an 8130 tomorrow just so i can pay for vz nav just to piss civic off lol

Last edited by Dawg; 12-19-2007 at 08:48 PM..
Old 12-19-2007, 08:49 PM   #18
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
I am gonna go buy an 8130 tomorrow just so i can pay for vz nav just to piss civic off lol
Bout time you upgraded that old pos 87xx.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:56 PM   #19
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhw View Post
First:
I tried doing alt-cancel while VZNav was running in follow-me mode. I then started up AMaze, and it worked from the GPS! So that does work on the 8130 from Verizon.

Second:
Now, I'd like to know if, using a puck, the VZNav program still works in December for genearch. I'm wondering about this because my understanding is that VZNav downloads maps from a server and I'm wondering if the downloads are still active even though the subscription was cancelled and a puck is now being used as the GPS location source. THat would mean that the maps are always available and the way Verizon controls the product is through turning the GPS in the device off and on and perhaps turning off or on the access to tower triangulation if that is also a part of their GPS services as the GPS source.

Finally,
Is voice direction still active without the subscription?

Thanks very much,
Bruce
The $64 question, IMHO...

I would be very interested to see someone corroborate this...amounts to free voice nav w/an external puck...
Old 12-19-2007, 09:20 PM   #20
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
You funny Ha Ha like Lunkhead.