BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 10:03 PM   #161
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Ani--

Some feedback on v1.0...

1) It appears that contacts are automatically loaded into the personal dictionary during installation, but the words are not checked against the default dictionary, resulting in many duplications. Simple words such as "and" were added to the personal list, resulting in about 400 extraneous entries in my case (I cleared the list, and I re-added contacts -- the dupes did not occur the second time).

2) The red highlighting for e-mail bodies is awesome! Consider making this the default for all misspelled words in all fields/applications.

3) Consider adding an additional menu item to ignore spelling suggestions (keep as is, but do not add to personal dictionary).

I will provide more feedback as I use it more. Thanks again for continuing to improve an excellent application!
Old 08-11-2007, 02:22 AM   #162
ani
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Airtel

Quote:
Originally Posted by visortgw View Post
Ani--

Some feedback on v1.0...

1) It appears that contacts are automatically loaded into the personal dictionary during installation, but the words are not checked against the default dictionary, resulting in many duplications. Simple words such as "and" were added to the personal list, resulting in about 400 extraneous entries in my case (I cleared the list, and I re-added contacts -- the dupes did not occur the second time).
Thanks. Will be fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by visortgw
2) The red highlighting for e-mail bodies is awesome! Consider making this the default for all misspelled words in all fields/applications.
We would love to have that. But the reason you don't see it in other apps is because of technical issues - there is a possibility of stuff breaking if highlighting is done in other apps. That is why its there in Email composer, which happens to be most frequently used for instaspell. We are looking for a more universal way to do the highlighting.

Quote:
3) Consider adding an additional menu item to ignore spelling suggestions (keep as is, but do not add to personal dictionary).

I will provide more feedback as I use it more. Thanks again for continuing to improve an excellent application!
sorry, I couldn't understand this. If you mean an option to Skip a work, then when the suggestion come in the drop down, the first option is the same word that was marked misspelled, so just hit enter or cancel - this effectively means Skip the word (leave at it is). If you meant something else, let me know in a bit detail, will try to get it done.

Thanks again for your feedback!
Ani.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:34 AM   #163
ani

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayzac View Post
I've installed 1.0 on my Curve and after installing both the application and dictionary and then expanding the dictionary, the app seems to take up around 4mg of memory. Does this sound correct? If so, does anyone know how much memory the English dictionary that come installed on the Curve takes up? I could delete it since I don't need 2 dictionaries but I wasn't sure. Thanks!
cayzac - InstaSpell dictionary is about 2 MB and can be lessened to 1.5 MB if you delete the Dictionary module after you have installed and indexed it.
Btw, did the 50% issue you were getting earlier got resolved in v1.0 ?

Thanks.
Ani.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:39 AM   #164
cayzac

Model: Curve
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani View Post
cayzac - InstaSpell dictionary is about 2 MB and can be lessened to 1.5 MB if you delete the Dictionary module after you have installed and indexed it.
Btw, did the 50% issue you were getting earlier got resolved in v1.0 ?

Thanks.
Ani.
Yes! No more 50% issue! Great job!
As far as the memory issue, I did a little test. I uninstalled InstaSpell and rebooted. Checked my memory and it was 14.2 meg. I installed InstaSpell and Dictionary, checked and I was at 12.7 meg (1.5 just installing). I then indexed the dictionary and I was at 10.5. I rebooted to clear up any stray memory issues and now I'm at 10.9, so the total space InstaSpell is taking up seems to be 3.3 meg. Does this sound correct?
Old 08-11-2007, 07:10 AM   #165
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani
Quote:
Originally Posted by visortgw View Post
Ani--

Some feedback on v1.0...

Thanks. Will be fixed.

Quote:
We would love to have that. But the reason you don't see it in other apps is because of technical issues - there is a possibility of stuff breaking if highlighting is done in other apps. That is why its there in Email composer, which happens to be most frequently used for instaspell. We are looking for a more universal way to do the highlighting.

Quote:

sorry, I couldn't understand this. If you mean an option to Skip a work, then when the suggestion come in the drop down, the first option is the same word that was marked misspelled, so just hit enter or cancel - this effectively means Skip the word (leave at it is). If you meant something else, let me know in a bit detail, will try to get it done.

Thanks again for your feedback!
Ani.
Ani--

On 3) above, I am referring to check on-the-fly mode, when a word is highlighted in red in the e-mail body (or underlined in other apps). If I back up to the highlighted word and click, I am presented with a drop-down menu which includes spelling suggestions (if any) as well as "Add Word". There is no way to Ignore (or skip) to accept the spelling as is without adding the word to the personal dictionary -- there are times that I don't necessarily want to add one-time use (i.e., obscure) words to the personal dictionary, but it would be nice to be able to acknowledge them to remove the highlighting for the session. It is common practice for spell checkers in general. Hopefully, this clears up my earlier feedback.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:47 PM   #166
Hidea
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

I think there should be a separate list between contacts, and users words. it will avoid confusion in the long run. There should also be a special algorithm for the contacts, they're not really really 'words' per-say.

The main screen for the app. needs a little more refining. Making things a little more obvious for the users who aren't so avid with the BB. I'm all about user friendliness! There should be buttons that indicates users can add words to the dictionary, as well as add contacts.

Will there ever be JiveTalk support?
Old 08-12-2007, 07:08 AM   #167
ani

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayzac View Post
Yes! No more 50% issue! Great job!
As far as the memory issue, I did a little test. I uninstalled InstaSpell and rebooted. Checked my memory and it was 14.2 meg. I installed InstaSpell and Dictionary, checked and I was at 12.7 meg (1.5 just installing). I then indexed the dictionary and I was at 10.5. I rebooted to clear up any stray memory issues and now I'm at 10.9, so the total space InstaSpell is taking up seems to be 3.3 meg. Does this sound correct?
Once you have indexed the dictionary, you can uninstall the dictionary module, it will free up quite a lot of space.

I believe 8300 (the 4.2.2 OS) has some different way of using memory. The 50% issue had happened because the the object sizes on 4.2.2 OS were bigger than that on the older OS.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:14 AM   #168
ani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidea View Post
I think there should be a separate list between contacts, and users words. it will avoid confusion in the long run. There should also be a special algorithm for the contacts, they're not really really 'words' per-say.

The main screen for the app. needs a little more refining. Making things a little more obvious for the users who aren't so avid with the BB. I'm all about user friendliness! There should be buttons that indicates users can add words to the dictionary, as well as add contacts.

Will there ever be JiveTalk support?
Thanks for the suggestions. Separate list for contacts may be a good idea, we have to see if it does not affect the performance.

Yes, we need to make the screen more user friendly. Thanks for pointing that out too.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:53 AM   #169
don.new

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

Would be great if it worked in IM+ Messenger and IM+ Skype. Thanks
Old 08-12-2007, 06:21 PM   #170
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Ani--

A couple more suggestions:

1) Words in the personal dictionary should be case sensitive when capitalized. For example, the word "Alexa" is a person's first name in my personal dictionary that was imported from my Contacts. If "alexa" is typed into an e-mail, it should be flagged as misspelled with "Alexa" offered as one of the spelling suggestions.

2) Words from the personal dictionary should not be flagged as misspelled when apostrophe plus "s" is added to make it possessive. From the previous example, "Alexa's" should not be flagged as misspelled.

3) I agree with the suggestin to separate the personal dictionary from the contact list from the personal dictionary if at all possible (you were going to look into performance). This makes even more sense for backup purposes as the contact list personal dictionary can be easily regenerated.

Thanks.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:00 AM   #171
Hidea
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

I agree with everything visortgw just said. Contractions after a contact's name shouldn't be treated as a mispelled word.

Again, visortgw's #1 point, there should be a special algorithm just for names. Uhh.. I wish the BB has a more powerful processor.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:06 AM   #172
bjchantry

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjchantry View Post
Never had a problem here.

Ani,

what are the plans with this, something similar to Empower Mail viewer? Free licenses for xx users up to as point or will it stay free? 0.99 looking really good, like the idea of highlighting the word better and some method to have the proposed word list pop up. What about having it as an option, that if a word is mis-spelled and you press the space bar, i.e. you are finished with the word, that the suggested words automatically pop-up ? don't know if it could be done, just a thought to save having to go back, click the trackwheel, and then select the word.
Ani,

any thought about having the possible correct words pop up after the space bar is hit as an option? Is it possible, would save quite a few key strokes. Also, is this only going to go commercial or will there be beta licenses issued, just wondering? Thanks
Old 08-14-2007, 08:31 PM   #173
Tennvol

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMobile

I recently upgraded my 8700 to T-Mobile's 4.2 and I can't install the software. I tried deleting it, restarting my BB, then downloading it again. I can see the "abc" icon and I have the dictonary installed but nothing happens when I click on the abc icon. Same result for loading the alx/cod files vice the OTA.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:43 PM   #174
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennvol View Post
I recently upgraded my 8700 to T-Mobile's 4.2 and I can't install the software. I tried deleting it, restarting my BB, then downloading it again. I can see the "abc" icon and I have the dictonary installed but nothing happens when I click on the abc icon. Same result for loading the alx/cod files vice the OTA.
Please verify that you are using v1.0 and not the expired v0.99. The links for installation have changed -- see Ani's earlier post:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/afte...tml#post629742
Old 08-14-2007, 09:00 PM   #175
Tennvol

That would be why. I uninstalled the .99 files and installed 1.0 via the alx/cod file. When I click on the ABC to index my dictionary it reads 0% and appears stuck. It's been going on 10 minutes now with no action.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:05 PM   #176
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennvol View Post
That would be why. I uninstalled the .99 files and installed 1.0 via the alx/cod file. When I click on the ABC to index my dictionary it reads 0% and appears stuck. It's been going on 10 minutes now with no action.
How many contacts are in your Address Book? v1.0 added the feature whereby all of the names in your Address Book are automatically added to the personal dictionary. There is no way to disable this on initial installation of the dictionary, which could explain why it appears to be going so slowly. Just a thought...

Last edited by visortgw; 08-14-2007 at 09:09 PM..
Old 08-14-2007, 09:17 PM   #177
Tennvol

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Tried a battery pull and it fixed the problem
Old 08-15-2007, 09:03 AM   #178
holden
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: TOFJAGER
Carrier: Cingular-AT&T-Verizon-Nextel
Default I heard that the 8830 now has spell check from Verizon -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffeingol View Post
rockbottom8,

I've run into the exact same problem and I'm also on an 8830. You can simply leave it "forever" and I never get past 50%. Then all spell checking is messed up as 1/2 of the dictionary is not there.

It would be nice to see if anyone else with an 8830 or 88xx is having the issue to know if it's device specific.

Frank
I heard that the 8830 Verizon new software has spell check already! Is this true?? I am on AT&T 8800 Model...
Old 08-15-2007, 10:28 AM   #179
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

all the sudden it quit working on my 7130e I cant get it to delete either it gives me a java error.

I deleted it through the app loader and reloaded but It wont do anything I click on the icon and it does nothing so not sure whats happening.

Last edited by Dawg; 08-15-2007 at 11:02 AM..
Old 08-15-2007, 11:58 AM   #180
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

I've been getting numerous errors too, especially with long email. I had to delete the software.

Regards-Michael G.
Closed Thread