Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 10:24 AM   #1
graystrickland
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: ATT (formerly Cingular)
Default Tethering Vista PC to Bold on ATT using BLUETOOTH

Please Login to Remove!

I am already tethering successfully using a USB cable on a Bold on the ATT network using these instructions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shock8401 View Post
I used some information out of this thread in this forum and some from another forum but finally got my Blackberry Bold to work as a modem using AT&T as my service provider on Windows Vista platform.

I'm a first time forum writer but I wouldn't have been able to get mine to work w/o insight from people on these forums so I am detailing how I got mine to work. Hope it helps!

1.If you have not already, download and install the Blackberry Desktop Software.
2.Go to the Windows Device manager. Quickest way: Start > Run > devmgmt.msc
3.Click + button next to Modems, double click “Standard Modem”
4.Click the Advanced tab
5.Enter this into the empty box (no leading space):
AT+CGDCONT=1,”IP”,”wap.cingular”
6.Hit Okay, and close device manager.

Also, then
1 From your computer, click Start, Control Panel, then Network and Sharing Center.
2 Set up a connection or a net work then Next.
3 Select Set up dial up connection.
4 Select the Standard Modem, then Next.
5 Enter this as the phone number: *99# –> Next
6 Enter user name (ALL CAPS): ISP@CINGULARGPRS (after GPRS, put .COM) forum wouldn't let me post a website address
7 Enter and confirm password (ALL CAPS): CINGULAR1 –> Next/Finish
8 Open the desktop manager and plug in your Blackberry via the USB cable. Make sure it detects the Blackberry as connected.
9 Go back to your network connections window (step 7), and double click the new ATT Dialup icon.
10 Your password, username, and dialup number should already be saved. If it’s not, just follow lines 6 and 7 above again. Then just click “Dial”

This worked for me.. hope it works for you!
Link to thread where above appears.

The problem is I can't tether using Bluetooth to my Sony Vaio VGN-P530H netbook.

I have Blackberry Desktop Manager 4.7 installed and running on the Vaio. Everytime I boot the Vaio, Vista tells me that it can't find the drivers for the "bluetooth peripheral device." Sony Support says that the driver it needs should come from Blackberry.

This document at Blackberry.com says:

To set up a Bluetooth connection, you must meet the following system requirements:

* Your computer must be running the Bluetooth software that comes with Windows XP or Windows Vista (see Task 2).
* Your computer must be running BlackBerry Desktop Manager 4.1 or later.
* Your BlackBerry smartphone must be running BlackBerry Device Software 4.1 or later.
* If you have an account on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server, it must be running BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.0.3 or later, and the following IT policies must be set to FALSE:
o Disable Desktop Connectivity
o Disable Wireless Bypass

Note: These two policies are located in the Bluetooth Policy Group. The default setting for these policies is TRUE.
* If your computer does not support Bluetooth wireless technology, a supported Bluetooth adapter can be used (DLink is not supported). For a complete list of supported Bluetooth transceivers, go to the Microsoft Support Knowledge Base and search for article 841803.
* On the BlackBerry smartphone, the Bluetooth Options screen must display Desktop Connectivity and Wireless Bypass in the Services list.
* Your Bluetooth device must be paired with your computer.

When I look at Bluetooth Options on the Bold (running OS 4.7) it shows my bluetooth headsets I use while driving and the Sony. For the Sony, it shows:

Device Name: SONY
Trusted: Yes
Device Address: [omitted here]
Services:
* Audio Gateway
* Headset
* Audio Gateway (yes, twice)
* Handsfree
* PIM Item Transfer
* A/V Remote Control Target
* [blank line]
* Stereo Audio

Note: the services shown are not always consistent. Perhaps it shows differently when it is connected or not. For example, yesterday, the services were listed as:

* Headset
* Handsfree
* Serial Port Profile
*** Desktop Connectivity
*** Wireless Bypass
*** Data Transfer
*** SIM Access Profile
* Dial Up Networking
* Audio Source
* A/V Remote Control

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
graystrickland
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: ATT (formerly Cingular)

I am now able to tether using Bluetooth, but the speed is so slow that I can't get pages to load. I can ping sites, but it takes >3000ms to return a packet. Something is still wrong.

I need to tether over b/t (1) for convenience and (2) so I can charge the Bold while tethering. I can tether at great speed over usb -- even fast enough to use Windows Remote Desktop to control my office workstation at a decent speed -- but it will kill the battery on my Bold if I do for very long.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
arabcamel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

I did exactly what you said but I get a message saying "The Internet connectivity test was unsuccessful.

When I go to the phone and modem options and open standard modem, i run a query in diagnostic and that is normal too.

Please help
Old 04-05-2009, 09:22 PM   #4
winstontj
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by graystrickland View Post
I am now able to tether using Bluetooth, but the speed is so slow that I can't get pages to load. I can ping sites, but it takes >3000ms to return a packet. Something is still wrong.

I need to tether over b/t (1) for convenience and (2) so I can charge the Bold while tethering. I can tether at great speed over usb -- even fast enough to use Windows Remote Desktop to control my office workstation at a decent speed -- but it will kill the battery on my Bold if I do for very long.
I'd love to know how you tethered using Bluetooth - I can PAIR my 8820 to my laptop but not TETHER and connect to the internet either generally or through ATT Connection Manager.

Would love to be able to do the same as you are looking to do.
Closed Thread