rileyrg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
PIN: 20cbbd8e
Carrier: Vodafone Germany

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmith3530 View Post
So, if we install Windows inside of Linux as a virtual machine, we can sync a BlackBerry using the BlackBerry Desktop Manager software.

It's a cute parlor trick, but I don't think this is what the OP, or myself, are looking for. While it is "technically" using BBDM on Linux, it is not, in the real sense.

As I stated previously, I would love to see RIM create a sync solution for BlackBerry phones DIRECTLY on the Linux platform, but I highly doubt that this will happen until Linux sees much broader acceptance on the desktop.
There is little if any chance of a Linux client imo. The markets of Linux and BB are polar opposites and hardly anyone uses Linux on the Desktop.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:28 AM   #22
rileyrg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I stand corrected. Have you seen any updates, as this article is close to 7 months old? According to the article, the product should be released withing the next two months, so I would assume it would be at the late beta/ early release candidate stage.

If this actually happens as the article stated (I, for one, NEVER count chickens before they're hatched, especially when it comes to tech news), you now know what would be needed for Apple to create a Linux version of BB Desktop Manager, but you don't.

We of the Linux community present the proprietary world with problems that they don't face to such a degree in the proprietary world. If you want to see what I mean, just point your browser toward Distrowatch. Look at the diversity.

When you say, "Provide a solution for Linux," you are actually asking them to provide a solution for the many different versions of Linux. How many reading this would be happy if they provided a solution, but only for Red Hat Enterprise Linux users, with the attached proprietary licensing that the code could not be modified to make it work on other distros? After all, if your argument is that Linux is big with business, RHES is probably the answer. If not, then maybe Novell SuSE, after all, they're even in bed with Microsoft.

Would those complaining be happy if RIM created a solution that shut consumer users out? Would you be happy if users of smaller but important distributions like Slackware couldn't use the product? Hey, today, you look around, and there are compatibility issues between Ubuntu and Debian. What work on one won't always work on the other.

This is the problem that we, as a community, ask the proprietary world in general to solve. And of course, once they've solved it, someone will come along tomorrow, like a Mike Shuttleworth, and create the problem anew.

So, as I mentioned in my last post, if you want RIM to create a solution for the currently less than 1% of the desktop market that runs a Linux distribution, resolve Ubuntu Bug #1. Then, center Linux desktop use on a standardized format so proprietary companies don't have to shoot at a moving target.

Get desktop Linux use up near 10% and they might considering it, get desktop Linux use of a single distribution up near 10%, and you will probably see a version of BB Desktop Manager written for that distro!

Better yet, tell your Linux distributions to fully implement the Linux Standard Base and center around only one package manager. That would go a long way toward convincing the proprietary world to implement drivers for us.
Diversity? And there you have the exact reason why they don't produce a Linux version. I wish to hell they would . But with all those distros (most junk) and their combined share of about 1% of the desktop market, RIM simply are not going to invest their money in supporting Linux. Blackberrys tend to be in the hand of VPs and Execs, not us techy sorts! Far better to get them to make their Desktop Manager SW run properly under a virtual solution IMO.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:46 AM   #23
rasmith3530
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330m
PIN: Ask
Carrier: US Cellular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyrg View Post
Diversity? And there you have the exact reason why they don't produce a Linux version. I wish to hell they would . But with all those distros (most junk) and their combined share of about 1% of the desktop market, RIM simply are not going to invest their money in supporting Linux. Blackberrys tend to be in the hand of VPs and Execs, not us techy sorts! Far better to get them to make their Desktop Manager SW run properly under a virtual solution IMO.
Hmm, I'm one of those "techy sorts" and I have a BlackBerry. I'm assuming that you consider yourself one of those "techie sorts" and you have a BlackBerry as well. I'll lay dollars to dimes that we're not the only two computer geeks on the planet that work in IT and phones home on a BlackBerry either.

I also have to say that I've used somewhere in the area of twenty or more distros, and didn't find one of them to be "junk." They all had their good points and their bad points, but none were what I would classify as "junk."

You are quite correct though about RIM. Linux has a great share of the server market, but almost no one syncs their phone with a server (I know a few exceptions to this rule). On the desktop, Linux only has about a single percentage point (and probably less than that). RIM is not going to spend the big bucks to develop a sync solution for even the Ubuntu community that makes up a fairly high percentage of Linux desktops.

Overcome Ubuntu Bug #1 and that would probably change.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:02 AM   #24
rileyrg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Hmm, I'm one of those "techy sorts" and I have a BlackBerry. I'm assuming that you consider yourself one of those "techie sorts" and you have a BlackBerry as well. I'll lay dollars to dimes that we're not the only two computer geeks on the planet that work in IT and phones home on a BlackBerry either.

I also have to say that I've used somewhere in the area of twenty or more distros, and didn't find one of them to be "junk." They all had their good points and their bad points, but none were what I would classify as "junk."

You are quite correct though about RIM. Linux has a great share of the server market, but almost no one syncs their phone with a server (I know a few exceptions to this rule). On the desktop, Linux only has about a single percentage point (and probably less than that). RIM is not going to spend the big bucks to develop a sync solution for even the Ubuntu community that makes up a fairly high percentage of Linux desktops.

Overcome Ubuntu Bug #1 and that would probably change.
I use Linux. I use a BB. I am/have been a SW developer. I am fully aware of the cross distro problems. Many distros are abandoned junk. Many change things like installations paths and method of installation (rpm, .deb etc). It IS more work (obviously) than a single Windows target. But what you and I have is not the point. The HUGE majority of BB users are Windows/MAc users and they will be targeted first. You want to use a minority system (like me) then prepare to be a minority cause of concern.

Meanwhile I take the practical approach : petition them to make ti work under virtualbox or vmware properly.

I'm also intrigued why on earth you would use 20 or more distros? I found one good one and settled on it.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:32 AM   #25
rasmith3530
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I'm also intrigued why on earth you would use 20 or more distros? I found one good one and settled on it.
I like to experiment. Many of the distros that I tried out were in the process of finding something that I liked for use on my old Asus Eee PC 4G Surf netbook.

That said, I still run several different distros. I have a machine that I use to download, store, and burn distro ISOs to CD/DVD. That machine is loaded with TinyMe, a PCLinuxOS variant. My ThinkPad is running Ubuntu Intrepid (8.10), which until just recently, was the current, up-to-date version of Ubuntu. The Eee was replaced by an Acer Aspire One (160GB HDD version). This machine dual boots XP and Ubuntu Jaunty Netbook Remix. I've been running Jaunty on it since it was at the Alpha level. On the Windows side of this machine, I run Mozilla Minefield. I have one more machine, this a full-sized Acer laptop the dual boots Vista (yuck!) and Windows 7 (Vista SE). I am involved in an official Beta Test of Win7. On Vista, I use Firefox 3.5 Beta 4, having recently upgraded from 3.1 Beta 3.

EDIT: I should note that I earn my living off providing desktop/server support and that is why I have/try such a variance of systems.

Last edited by rasmith3530; 05-05-2009 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Old 06-19-2009, 12:57 PM   #26
jeffy5

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

There is only one question that I would have for this post: I noticed that Palm has provided the technical know-how (notice that I didn't say, "sync program for Linux") to the different versions of Linux, despite the different flavors of Linux out there. Why can this also be done with RIM? I'm sure that no one is expecting for RIM to develop or maintain the technical support for a sync program for Linux, but at least the technical knowledge would be out there for those in the Linux community to further advance programs such as Barry for the benefit of the Linux community
Old 06-23-2009, 01:05 PM   #27
rileyrg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Does the presence of Barry not suggest it is?
Old 06-23-2009, 09:56 PM   #28
rasmith3530
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Does the presence of Barry not suggest it is?
Barry is an all volunteer, Open Source project. To the best of my knowledge, RIM has nothing to do with the Barry project.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:26 AM   #29
rasmith3530
Thumbs Must Hurt

If you have not seen it, grab a copy of the July, 2009 print issue of Linux Journal. Marcel Gagne's monthly column, Cooking With Linux is devoted this month to the installation and configuration of Funambol, and specifically its use with a BlackBerry. This may provide what some here are looking for.

Linux Journal Online
Old 07-01-2009, 08:30 PM   #30
whatsapp

Model: 8320
PIN: 20908742
Carrier: A&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
RIM doesn't even have a Mac desktop manager. Do you really expect them to even consider Linux.
i agree.. i think most consumer companies do Mac product before they do Linux (unless its a server company like Dell or HP)
Old 07-05-2009, 10:23 AM   #31
rileyrg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Barry is an all volunteer, Open Source project. To the best of my knowledge, RIM has nothing to do with the Barry project.
I didn't say it did. I merely noted that Barry has the data required to talk to the Storm - or rather that was my intention :-;

My own path of attack on this would be to convince RIM to QA their desktop SW under VMWare nr VirtualBox. it doesn't currently work as it loses the connection to the Java VM over USB on my Debian setup.

As Linux users we have to appreciate that we are a very, very small minority and must try to make supporting us as easy as possible for RIM and others until Linux has a large enough usage for it be financially worth their while to produce native Linux SW.
Closed Thread