BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 10:38 PM   #1
TheJackal
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: att
Question Good, bad, and the FRUSTRATING.

Please Login to Remove!

My 8800 and I are getting to know each other and with every good thing there are things that are genuinely perplexing.

1) I used to have great reception with Cingular and this is far from the case now. (what is up with that?)

2) I haven't had more than 2 of five EDGE bars even once.

3) Email was easy to set up but I am not getting all my msgs. Ironically enough it's not the biggest file emails either. (huh?)

4) I am getting a failure to charge/synch msg when I plug in my USB, just after I successfully charged Ipod. ????????????????

If I can't find a way to boost reception or increase web speed I may have to return this baby.

Is anybody else experiencing these difficulties?
Old 02-28-2007, 10:46 PM   #2
FarSeide
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

so far the only issue I had was little "sluggishness" scrolling up and down in the home page. Other than that, its like my old Pearl but bigger and w/o camera.

So far I love it. Just gotta get used to it.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:05 PM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

1 & 2. What kind of phone are you comparing your current signal to?

3. How did you setup your email? Provider? BIS? Redirector?

4. Did you install Desktop Manager on your PC? The drivers (which are included in Desktop Manager) must be installed in order to charge from the PC.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:15 PM   #4
TheJackal

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
1 & 2. What kind of phone are you comparing your current signal to?

Had a Moto V550

3. How did you setup your email? Provider? BIS? Redirector?

Just used the Set-up Wizard

4. Did you install Desktop Manager on your PC? The drivers (which are included in Desktop Manager) must be installed in order to charge from the PC.
Did not know this and had to stop installation due to an appointment.

Ugh.....I feel so far removed from being savvy with regard to technology. I am still plugging away. Thanks in advance for everybody's help.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:24 PM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

1 & 2. Your bar indicator may not indicate the same as your old phone. That doesn't mean that you won't get the same signal, just indication.

3. Use the same setup wizard to resend service books to your device. If that doesn't help then log into your provider's BIS website and make sure all settings are correct. Are you using a @yourprovider.blackberry.net address and forwarding other mail or did you actually setup another account in the setup?

4. Install Desktop Manager and you should charge just fine.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:52 PM   #6
TheJackal

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
1 & 2. Your bar indicator may not indicate the same as your old phone. That doesn't mean that you won't get the same signal, just indication. .

Good to know, thanks.

Quote:
3. Use the same setup wizard to resend service books to your device. .

I am not sure what you mean by this exactly.

Quote:
Are you using a @yourprovider.blackberry.net address and forwarding other mail or did you actually setup another account in the setup? .

I setup a BB.net address but I set up Hot, Yah, andGmail accts too. They are NOT forwarded to BB addy.

Quote:
4. Install Desktop Manager and you should charge just fine.

Thanks, John.

Last edited by TheJackal; 02-28-2007 at 11:56 PM..
Old 03-01-2007, 12:09 AM   #7
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Which email accounts are not coming through? Hotmail and Yahoo don't always work properly with BB. GMail should work fine, though.

click on Setup internet email. There should be an option to resend service books in there somewhere.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:35 AM   #8
dallasaudiguy

Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJackal
My 8800 and I are getting to know each other and with every good thing there are things that are genuinely perplexing.

1) I used to have great reception with Cingular and this is far from the case now. (what is up with that?)

2) I haven't had more than 2 of five EDGE bars even once.

3) Email was easy to set up but I am not getting all my msgs. Ironically enough it's not the biggest file emails either. (huh?)

4) I am getting a failure to charge/synch msg when I plug in my USB, just after I successfully charged Ipod. ????????????????

If I can't find a way to boost reception or increase web speed I may have to return this baby.

Is anybody else experiencing these difficulties?

My reception has improved dramitcally over my 8700. My only gripe is the slight delay after an mp3 ringtone plays, until the phone goes active when answered
Old 03-04-2007, 04:58 PM   #9
palms

Default My reception is crap

I have the same problem..except that my bars are full and show that I should receive max reception. Every call I have made in the last week had some sort of problem. I mostly get very short bleeps or bloops. I'm probably returning the phone to cingular this week. I also have the same sync issues (i'm using a mac). I just reboot the computer and keep re-launching Pocketmac until the program sees the device.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:14 PM   #10
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

PIN: 240582A8
Carrier: tmobile

There's somthing you don't see in apples tva ads lol thp pc guys hey my black berry sync great says the pc guy. Tha mac guuy say well I crash everytim I sync with a blackberry. Any ways the reson hotmail dose not work with rims is because for the most part bbs with bis like imap based account services mor than pop or pop3
Old 03-04-2007, 06:17 PM   #11
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron
There's somthing you don't see in apples tva ads lol thp pc guys hey my black berry sync great says the pc guy. Tha mac guuy say well I crash everytim I sync with a blackberry. Any ways the reson hotmail dose not work with rims is because for the most part bbs with bis like imap based account services mor than pop or pop3
Huh?
Old 03-04-2007, 07:53 PM   #12
mas90guru
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800

I have not experienced any major reception differences with my 8800. So far it has generally been as steady as prior Blackberries
Old 05-01-2007, 11:22 AM   #13
cuorie

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default My TMO 8800's reception sucks compared to my 8700g

Hey, I'm getting the same problem as you. My 8700g was a real champ in the reception department. I would routinely get full bars and good voice quality over other people's TMO phones in the same location. And several times I would have a signal where no one else would.

But my new 8800 (which I love) has terrible reception. The bars and signal (dB) are marginal in my home and voice quality is affected (can you hear me now?). I've even had the signal drop entirely both while on a call and not which never ever happened with my 8700g.

This is the biggest disappointment I have with the 8800. Other being sluggishness.

Like I said, I love the phone overall, but the poor reception is killing me. I've searched around here and have seen people say their RF reception is better and some say worse. But it's difficult to say which older device they are comparing to.

Anyone else care to chime in comparing RF reception between 8700 and 8800?

Thanks,
John

Last edited by cuorie; 05-01-2007 at 11:24 AM..
Old 05-01-2007, 11:37 AM   #14
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuorie View Post
Hey, I'm getting the same problem as you. My 8700g was a real champ in the reception department. I would routinely get full bars and good voice quality over other people's TMO phones in the same location. And several times I would have a signal where no one else would.

But my new 8800 (which I love) has terrible reception.

Anyone else care to chime in comparing RF reception between 8700 and 8800?
I have both the 8700c and the 8800. The reception on the 8800 is much better in every way. The voice quality, the range of volume etc. Stays locked onto the call perfectly. It's also better than my 8100.

In addition, we are using 8800 models in my company and we have no complaints, virtually everyone comments on how much improvement has gone into the phone function. It's quite noticeable really.

The only thing that comes to mind, regarding yours is perhaps you simply have a bad one. If you are within your return period, I would contact them and make arrangements to exchange it for a new one.

Cheers...
Old 05-01-2007, 01:52 PM   #15
Dawgfan
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000

I came from a 7250 and the reception of my 8800 blows it away in my house, during my commute and anywhere I have been since I got the 8800.

Do you have the new version of Pocketmac that works with the 8100 and 8800?

I have been using The Missing Sync with my iMac and my 8800 and will be paying the $30 or whatever it is as it has been solid (except for Tasks, which I don't use) for me.

The few issues I have had with my 8800 have been resolved with some simple Google and BBforums time and they were minimal at that.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:11 PM   #16
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c

It is also important to note that other factors can change signal received. These things may be something that your carrier has no controll over, or may be trying to remedy.

Tower deterioration is common and requires upkeep and this could lead to less of a signal.

Also, any other towers, buildings, ect may cause problems getting the same signal strength.

Hope this helps

The Gecko
Old 05-02-2007, 09:11 AM   #17
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyg510 View Post
It is also important to note that other factors can change signal received.
...and that correlation and causation aren't the same thing. I.e. - lower bars with a new device may not be directly related to the new device. Have you checked reception with another device on the same carrier in the same spots (at the same time)? As coreyg510 points out, many factors can affect reception.

Last edited by takeshi; 05-02-2007 at 09:13 AM..
Old 05-02-2007, 11:42 AM   #18
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
...and that correlation and causation aren't the same thing. I.e. - lower bars with a new device may not be directly related to the new device. Have you checked reception with another device on the same carrier in the same spots (at the same time)? As coreyg510 points out, many factors can affect reception.
You bring up some very good points here.

Since I have 3 phone numbers and sims, I did just what you suggested above just for fun, only about 2 weeks ago. One week while traveling for business, I had my 7130c, 8800, and RAXR V3xx all live while on a 600 mile trip. It was very interesting to see how each signal strength indicator varied as I drove in and out of areas which had signals of varied strength.

Actually since I had done this about a year ago (with different phones), it wasn't all that surprising, however it was fun to try it again. The results were somewhat similar to the previous test on the same route.

As least from my perspective the signal strength indicator on most phones is nearly useless. Each time it was indicating a poor signal I would make a call and each phone performed very well. The only time I experienced poor voice quality and the sense that it was about to drop the call was approaching an area with no signal whatsoever.

Results:
Best Overall Phone Performance - BB 8800
Very close second BB 7130c
Tied with 7130c - RAZR V3xx

I believe this is a testament to two things. Most (not all) of todays' phones are better at picking up the signal and that the BB's made since the 8700c have truly improved phone functionality. Some obviously better than others.