Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 01:41 PM   #1
DoomBringer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7280
Carrier: cingular, no wait, AT&T
Default Service Book Protest

Please Login to Remove!

You know, I've been managing BBs for a while now, and I have to say, figuring out service books is perhaps the hardest part. For the longest time, my 7100t's were completely non-functional with my BES environment. The culprit? A service book from T-Mobile (and no, Customer Support didn't figure this out, _I_ figured this out after much trial and error, and waiting on hold for who knows how long). And no, I didn't install wonky service books, they came that way with a fresh install (javaloader wipe and restore from the downloaded OS).
Sure, now that I've gotten used to the BB's quirks, I can manage. However, the whole service book thing is getting old. I had to figure it out the hard way, with absolutely no official guidance from T-mo or RIM, just this helpful forum (thx, btw).
Are any other BES admins out there feeling my pain too?
Old 07-05-2005, 06:14 PM   #2
ladydi
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-mobile

we're pretty small (only 9 BB's) but I haven't had any problem with the service books. Even when I was messing around with them so that I could get the html browser on these 7510's. I've gotten it on two devices with no problems. I still can't figure out how to send service books from the BES or if you even can do that, but on the whole, I haven't had those issues.
BES 4.1
Old 07-05-2005, 07:25 PM   #3
DoomBringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladydi
we're pretty small (only 9 BB's) but I haven't had any problem with the service books. Even when I was messing around with them so that I could get the html browser on these 7510's. I've gotten it on two devices with no problems. I still can't figure out how to send service books from the BES or if you even can do that, but on the whole, I haven't had those issues.
Sending service books is usually accomplished with re-pushing IT Policy.
For me though, the kicker was when the T-mo 7100t wouldn't work with BES right out of the box. I followed standard procedure to add them (add user, sync to server via USB and gen the key), so I figured it would do it ok.
The other thing is the surprising lack of information available through official channels on the subject. Given how they can break everything, I would have thought managing them would be worthy of a chapter in BES manuals or something.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:28 PM   #4
stevenyc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: lots
Carrier: t-mobile

What are service books for? I came from Goodlink, where I never had to worry about service books (or device memory and cdo.dll's for that matter).
Old 07-05-2005, 07:35 PM   #5
DoomBringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenyc
What are service books for? I came from Goodlink, where I never had to worry about service books (or device memory and cdo.dll's for that matter).
Service books seem to be a catch all phrase for configuration that is pushed across the network to the device. For example, if you're on a BES w/MDS, they'll include books for the networking stuff (IPPP and such, basically how to talk to MDS over the Internet kind of stuff). Of course, they are not explained very well, so I could be wrong.
I don't think any code is associated with them, just settings flags and such.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:23 PM   #6
greywolfe

Model: 8100
Carrier: optus

half the problem can also be the device itself being provisioned for the wrong thing out of the box, ie for prosumer instead of for enterprise. if the default device provisioning is prosumer for example, if the device ever drops off the network/rim infrustructure for some reason, the next time it reconnects it will get the prosumer service books, even if the current provisioning is for enterprise. its annoying, but not much you can do really, other than ring up your carrier and check whether the device is provisioned correctly.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:24 AM   #7
corey@12mile
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenyc
Not to start a battle, but not having to worry about cdo.dll? Install goodlink 3.x or 4.x without having a patched up exchange server including cdo.dll and see what happens... I know, I run a goodlink 4 server with forms and goodaccess.

I don't see what memory has to do with it as well. Plus, there are service books so to speak for goodlink, ie. you have to install the client. This contains the equivilent to service books, for the most part.

cd.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:23 AM   #8
stevenyc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: t-mobile

I'll have to take your word for it. Mine just worked, only needing the occasional program update, and kept me free to work on other things. It wasn't until an exec decided we needed to switch that I had to start spending so much time worrying about my wireless system. I mentioned memory because, like service books and cdo's, it's a prob I never had to deal with before the switch. Even if you put a gun to my head, I couldn't tell you how much memory a G100 has, because I never had to worry about it.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:15 AM   #9
easy-v
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: None
Carrier: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomBringer
For the longest time, my 7100t's were completely non-functional with my BES environment. The culprit? A service book from T-Mobile (and no, Customer Support didn't figure this out, _I_ figured this out after much trial and error, and waiting on hold for who knows how long).
Doom, would be able to post what your workaround for this is? I am having some problems with a user with a 7100t service book. As he is my only 7100t user, I have never run up against this before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:13 AM   #10
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

he most likely deleted the IPPP service books from the carrier.