Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
mcurtis

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Unlocking Bold

Please Login to Remove!

Hey so I have the BB Bold w/ AT&T and I am tired of AT&T but want to keep the bold and was wondering if there is a way I can just unlock the phone to use on other networks?
Old 07-02-2009, 05:03 PM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: Tesco Mobile

yes you need to purchase an unlock code.
horizon wireless is a great place to get unlock codes!

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 07-02-2009, 05:05 PM   #3
mcurtis

ok awesome so once i unlock it, id be able to use it on the sprint network right?
Old 07-02-2009, 05:07 PM   #4
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

I believe sprint is a CDMA network, and the bold is a GSM phone.
So no you wouldn't be able to use it on Sprint.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 07-02-2009, 05:08 PM   #5
mcurtis

oh ok thanks
Old 07-02-2009, 06:04 PM   #6
hcheun
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

The only provider you can use the bold (after you unlock it) or alternative I should say is T-Mobile, Sprint and Verizon because they are CDMA are out of the question.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:58 PM   #7
TXLady
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint

Also, while you could unlock it and use it on TMO, you will not have 3G since TMO and AT&T use different bands for 3G.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:14 PM   #8
mcurtis

So do you guys think TMO or Sprint is better for overall coverage and customer service? Pretty much im tired of paying the outrageous AT&T bill and no one at AT&T can tell me why its so high or fix it so im switching over and am trying to avoid buying a new phone because i really like my bold and haven't even had it a year yet, so TMO would be the only option if i still want to use my bold right?

If i sign up for a new 2 year with the bold would i be able to do an upgrade before the 2years or would the bold count as the new signing up discount thing?
Old 07-03-2009, 04:10 AM   #9
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

T-Mobile do not offer bold.
I cant see why you already having a phone would in any way effect/change a standard 2 year contract.

I can't see T-mobile letting you sign up for a 2 year contract as a new customer without a purchasing a phone with it.
Of course if you can do this and get it for free, selling means you've made some money!

Old 07-03-2009, 07:33 PM   #10
TXLady
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcurtis View Post
So do you guys think TMO or Sprint is better for overall coverage and customer service?
Coverage depends upon your needs. It varies by location. You need to carefully review the coverage maps to see if you get the coverage you need. What works well for me may not for you. TMO is known for great customer service. Sprint is not.

Quote:
Pretty much im tired of paying the outrageous AT&T bill and no one at AT&T can tell me why its so high or fix it
Don't you get an itemized bill? Can't you see what's being charged? Don't you know what services you have. This just doesn't make sense. I could see if you were just saying "I'm looking for a cheaper alternative" but surely you know what you are paying for. Also, realize that you will get hit with an ETF by leaving AT&T before your contract is up so you really ought to try to figure this out.

Quote:
so im switching over and am trying to avoid buying a new phone because i really like my bold and haven't even had it a year yet, so TMO would be the only option if i still want to use my bold right?
As stated above, the Bold is a GSM phone and the only GSM carriers in the US are AT&T and TMO. But you will NOT get 3G on TMO's network even with an unlocked Bold because AT&T & TMO use different frequencies for 3G.

Quote:
If i sign up for a new 2 year with the bold would i be able to do an upgrade before the 2years or would the bold count as the new signing up discount thing?
If you don't take a new phone at signing, you should be able to get a discounted one later but be sure your account is annotated to show that you absolutely did not get the new phone discount because some people have reported difficulty getting the discount later.

Because some of your questions are more related to service than to BB specific questions, I'm going to recommend that you check out HowardForums.com. (I regularly tell folks there to check here for BB related items.) There are separate forums for each carrier where you can read what others have to say about the carrier. Also, you may be able to get some assistance or pointers in how to figure out or resolve your bill with AT&T if you believe it to be incorrect. HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - US Carrier Discussion

Last edited by TXLady; 07-03-2009 at 07:34 PM..
Closed Thread