Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
KratochvilB

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Alltel/Verizon
Default Radio keeps turning off...

Please Login to Remove!

I know others have had this same problem, so let me explain exactly what I have going on here.

Basically my phone has been fine for the entire year I've had it. I recently went on a trip and forgot my charger.

I knew there was a way to charge my phone via the USB cord and a computer, and so I looked on here and saw that I had to install desktop manager to do so. I installed it on both my laptop (vista) and my desktop (XP). Last night, I left it plugged into my desktop overnight for maybe 5 hours. Today, the radio is constantly turning off. Every time I turn it back on, it turns itself back off. That was the first time I had significantly charged the phone on either computer, and the problems started immediately after I unplugged it.

I have tried:
- Pulling the battery out. I left it out for about 15 minutes...didn't help.
- I plugged it into my laptop thinking that since it has windows vista it might be different and something might trigger a change. - didn't help. I have read that some people think the OS can affect this. I tried downloading the newest OS for my phone (I'm currently using v.4.3.0.81(platform 3.1.0.40) from this forum, but the link keeps timing out.

I am getting very frustrated/worried that I need a new phone. I have insurance so it's not a huge deal. I am not very blackberry savvy but am not an electronics idiot either. I have Alltel, which is now verizon.

Can anybody help? I am totally lost...
Old 05-28-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

It sounds like a dead battery, or one that isn't holding a charge. Once the battery is discharged, it will not start (or stay up).
Old 05-28-2009, 06:15 PM   #3
KratochvilB

Nope, the battery is holding a charge perfectly fine and is fully charged
Old 05-28-2009, 06:41 PM   #4
KratochvilB

Also, my friend who has the same phone let me try his battery in my phone, and my phone continued to have the radio turn off
Old 05-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #5
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Has the phone gotten wet recently?
Old 05-28-2009, 07:00 PM   #6
KratochvilB

no... It HAS to have something to do with me plugging it into my computer...my guess is that it's a software problem, but I have no idea what that would be or how to fix it.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:53 PM   #7
PastahZach
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMobile

I hate to burst your bubble, but I am completely confident it has NOTHING to do with you using the computer to charge it. The reason is that I don't have a charger currently[i left it in San Diego on my last trip there] so I have to charge of my computer every day, and my radio is fine.

You might want to try and reload the OS.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:11 PM   #8
KratochvilB

if someone could give me a link or explain how to load an OS, that would be terrific
Old 05-29-2009, 12:18 PM   #9
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

At the top of each device forum, there's a Sticky Thread with instructions for each model.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...n-devices.html

Good luck!
Old 05-29-2009, 01:33 PM   #10
KratochvilB

So I successfully loaded the new OS, everything seemed to work fine, and my radio is still turning itself off. I think I'm gonna have to get a new phone...
Old 06-25-2009, 09:09 AM   #11
sammaxx

Carrier: sprint

I have the same problem with my Pearl which I have had for 1.5 years and the problem started recently when I installed Desktop Manager 4.7.

The are a couple more factors involved I dont feel like explaining at the moment, but 4.7 seems to be the obvious.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:20 AM   #12
PastahZach

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMobile

I use DM 4.7 and have yet to experience this problem.

What are your other factors?
Old 06-25-2009, 09:35 AM   #13
sammaxx

Carrier: sprint

Had Pearl 1.5 years and no problems. Bought and activated the Curve a couple of weeks ago. Installed DM 4.7 by instruction of provider. Curve had the problem with turning radio off. Sent Curve back (personal preference).

Reactivated Pearl and radio off problem.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:28 PM   #14
KratochvilB

I ended up just getting a new phone, it was under warranty but had water damage (BS) so I had to pay $95 and file the insurance on it. I have no idea what desktop manager version I installed, but it's very possible it was 4.7.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:40 PM   #15
francodeman

Model: 9800
PIN: 26733D9A
Carrier: Telus Mobility

Having the same problem with my 8130 from Telus. Sounds like the make or carrier doesn't really matter as a quick search on the 'radio on/off' issue are posted in various model forums. As others, I have done the battery pull. Re-install the OS and went as far as a full wipe on the handheld. Same problem occurred. I did not add or change anything with the phone when this problem randomly started happening.

So....I contacted our Blackberry tech support and they have heard about this problem but were hesitant to admit is was a known Blackberry issue. They claim it could be two issues. Both are motherboard related. To me, thats a Blackberry issue but...

They say that the phone sometimes has a glitch with the auto on/off feature. Suggested to change the function, either enable or disable and with the phone on do a hard boot (battery pull). On restart the problem should be gone. Not me!

The second is when the Motherboard thinks the battery is below the 20% mark and tries to turn off the radio to conserve power even when the battery is fully charged. I have tried the 'clean the battery and contacts' as suggested by others but to no avail.

Immediately after them telling me these are the two most common known problems they noted on my file that I should bring my phone in for 'replacement'. Guess that says volumes!

Hope this helps others who might be having this annoying random radio on/off issue.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:25 AM   #16
lilwolve4

Carrier: Cellular South

I think I have found a solution. My 2nd blackberry has been acting like this also. I backed up all my files then restored. After I did this my browser was deleted and I had no internet access. However, after you perform this go into option->advanced settings->host routing table.....then click on Register Now. Restart your blackberry and within 30 seconds it should restore everything back to normal. I'm assuming the problem with the radio on/off has something to do with your service books. These service books inform the device of the activites it is permitted to do. I'm assuming its a type of registry error. My device is working fine now that I have done this. Good Luck!
Old 11-28-2009, 10:56 AM   #17
hnsimpson
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: pm me for it

I tried this, but my Pearl was done.

Off to find a replacement.

-simpson

-Young MC
Closed Thread