BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: How do you like the BlackBerry Storm (9500/9530)??
I love it... 158 70.22%
So-so... 57 25.33%
I hate it... 10 4.44%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 06:52 AM   #1
The Crunch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: 90009700
Carrier: AT&T
Default So how are you guys liking your Storm 9500/9530!??!?? ;)

Please Login to Remove!

Hey everyone...

Now that the Storm has been out for a little while, I was wondering how you like it. I decided too get one when I go overseas in a couple of weeks. Vodafone has it discounted pretty well! :D

I won't give up my Bold, but I'd like to have both.

Does the 9500 (not the 9530) have ALL three HSDPA bands, by the way? (850/1900/2100MHz)??

This should be interesting. Please also detail your vote/answer as to why you either DO like it, or you do NOT...;)

Take care everyone. ;)
Old 12-03-2008, 07:24 AM   #2
dkennedy

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

I gave it a so so...I got it on 11/21 and I just still have problems with the keyboard, the screen going from portrait to landscape at will and the lag that comes and go for no apparent reason.

Keyboard - in qwerty mode even when I press the correct key and the blue light is under I get the next key over. Where is screen calibration??

the flip flopping screen - just a simple movement sends the device from portrait to landscape on a call, reading emails, etc... too sensitive???

lag - this device is fast but when it wants to be...sometimes I can't just do a quick lookup from email to a text message...it just hangs...and comes back up after about 30 seconds...

All the above can be resolved with a firmware release....but how long can I continue to wait...this should have been noticed or better yet resolved in trial testing before release...

I gave up my curve to get the storm...and I am beginning to regret it...but I hope that BB & Big Red can resolve these issues before my patience runs out...I know all the corporate executives in my company are waiting for my ok for this phone but at this time I can't give my approval for them to move from the curve to the storm...

Oh and yes, I do have the latest updates from verizon and I tried the magic business card cutout in the battery compartment trick, etc...

Last edited by dkennedy; 12-03-2008 at 07:28 AM..
Old 12-03-2008, 07:42 AM   #3
cdw5510
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VZW

Can you put in this poll, I WANT ONE and am still waiting to see how many people don't have one yet?
Old 12-03-2008, 09:14 AM   #4
notlownf
Thumbs Must Hurt

I love mine.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:01 PM   #5
The Crunch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: 90009700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by notlownf View Post
I love mine.
How's texting? How's the touchscreen?? Do or did you have the iPhone to compare it to?? Thanks...;)
Old 12-03-2008, 10:28 PM   #6
SpeedFreak
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830

The more I play the Bold demos the more I love it, my 8830 doesn't even come close.

I'm still just trying to decide between it and the iPhone though. It's a tough call.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:59 PM   #7
Laughinglarry

The Storm is a fantastic phone, unless you want it to actually work.

Mine reboots constantly. Since day one, at least 4-5 times each day. Today it rebooted over 10 times. Now mind you, I can boot my Windows XP laptop in the same amount of time that it takes the phone. I've had it reboot while answering calls (and even though it rang once or twice, it doesn't register in the call-log, so if the caller doesn't leave voicemail you won't know who it was), opening emails, coming out of the holster, and just sitting in a cup holder in the car or next to my laptop on my desk.

Call quality is excellent, as has been the network coverage. GPS (using VZ Navigator) so-so at best, and certainly not worth $10/ month. (It took me over a half-hour in the wrong direction; it changed the street name that I entered to a street NUMBER, and I didn't know that it was simply wrong, so I followed the directions it gave me. Fortunately I had an actual MAP, and was able to get to my appointment only an hour late. Other than that one incident, it got me where I was going. Frequently though it would give directions too late, and had to recalculate the route.)

I've had a bizarre keyboard malfunction, where the keys made NO SENSE, weren't in order, and ended at TUV. I had to remove the battery to manually reboot in order to clear that problem.

The web browser is fine, but the 1XEV network doesn't appear to be any faster than the EDGE network that my 8700 was on. It's nice having the option of running Firefox or IE.

The accelerometer stinks. Compare one to an iPhone, and it's really quite laughable.

There's a promised update coming, but frankly the phone should never have been released like this. As it is, it's pure garbage...
Old 12-03-2008, 11:17 PM   #8
PHLAK
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

@dkennedy What is the version of your Operating System? Go to Options > About and it should be the third one down? If it says X.X.X.65 you're still on the default OS and I would reccomend you find and upgrade to the X.X.X.75 OS... MUCH BETTER!

My BlackBerry Storm Wallpapers
Old 12-04-2008, 02:11 AM   #9
EBlanco
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9350

I love the Storm Do it!
Old 12-04-2008, 02:20 AM   #10
Verapakill
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
PIN: 318DAE46

Love it Love it Love it

A little slow but i still love it
Old 12-04-2008, 10:44 AM   #11
jeeper02

Carrier: verizon

Had mine a couple days now and I think its amazing, fast,smooth,load and clear.
maybe getting from the second batch and not the first day release was a better thing
I dont see most any of the problems some others have, dont even need the paper under battery trick, my screen is clicking just fine and the accelorometer wirks great (under a sec switch) I do not believe in comparing so much cause each phone is its own just a car,boat or anything. I had a WM and it did this or that but in the end its what is comfortable for you that matters, you can buy any phone on the market and it will or wont do everything exactly the way you want, so if you like the storm then adapt to it and you will love it, if you dont adapt then you will never be happy. I may miss a few features from my wm but overall my likes totally outweigh my dislikes
No one device is perfect so to each his own i guess, myself I prefer this over my wm anyday and have played with the iphone and think its does most things way better job for my personal taste.
Well thats just my 2cent rant..........
Old 12-04-2008, 10:49 AM   #12
dkennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLAK View Post
@dkennedy What is the version of your Operating System? Go to Options > About and it should be the third one down? If it says X.X.X.65 you're still on the default OS and I would reccomend you find and upgrade to the X.X.X.75 OS... MUCH BETTER!
I have v4.7.0.65 (Platform 4.0.0.82)

I have a BB 9530 verizon branded, will .75 work for me and was it officially released?
Old 12-04-2008, 10:57 AM   #13
dkmadrid
CrackBerry Addict

I gave it a "love-it" but I wish there was a category between love-it and so-so, like "liking it more each day" or something. I think there are still some issues i'm working on that have been mentioned before on various threads (speed and consistency of the back-and-forth from portrait to landscape, calibration of the full key-pad, etc) but I'm hoping they will get resolved over time.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:23 AM   #14
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkennedy View Post
I have v4.7.0.65 (Platform 4.0.0.82)

I have a BB 9530 verizon branded, will .75 work for me and was it officially released?
The beta version will work. The official Verizon version should be released any day now and should be installed on the units they will ship to customers very soon as well. Stay tuned.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:25 AM   #15
Kopter

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon (BES)

Got mine on Monday. Didn't like it very much at first... but after employing the tweaks I picked up here on BBF... i am somewhere between like it and love it. I have found that if I simply use it like I used to use my curve and the other BBs I have had...and not expect it to be the end all/cure all pda/smartphone/secret to life's happiness/iphone beater... then it just gets better every day.
For example, last night on the train home, I needed to send an email which turned out to be quite lengthy. By the time i got done with it... my typing skills/comfort with typing on the landscape screen had increased dramatically. I was caught up more in what I needed to type and less with how to type.
Know what i mean?

tweaks/accessories:
~upgrade to .75
~numerous hover/tap/swipe changes
~business card in battery compartment
~delete VZ nav
~turned off backup of on board device mem (hangs my backup)
~invisible shield full body
~egrip on the back side
~seidio holster (should arrive tomorrow)
~additional wallpapers

Anyway this device is a keeper... for me. As an aside, a great perspective and what sums up the Storm (again... for me) was posted by SGRacer... entitled "Adaptation and Human Behavior."
Referenced without SG's permission but hopefully.... SG wont mind.

thanks for allowing my 2cents.

Last edited by Kopter; 12-04-2008 at 11:30 AM..
Old 12-04-2008, 04:00 PM   #16
dkennedy

Hey the difference is like night and day....

I updated to v4.7.0.75 (Platform 4.0.0.94) and all I can say is that the storm ROCKS!

This is the USER EXPERIENCE I wanted and NOW I have...funny that all my issues are resolved and verizon hasn't release this version...this could stop anyone from returning the storm!

Thank you ALL!

Can I re-vote? re-count? re-do? hanging chad excuse....

I LOVE IT!!!

Last edited by dkennedy; 12-05-2008 at 06:31 AM..
Old 12-04-2008, 04:07 PM   #17
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

It's good to see that whereas many people on this forum were pretty grumpy right away, a good many have changed their tune after less than 2 weeks, and that the OS update makes a difference in performance. A lot of OS updates don't do jack IMO. It's pretty clear the typing thing is a learned skill, like driving a stick shift car, and some BB users just aren't gonna like it. Everybody expects that. But I'm really leaning on going with this phone. Like others, ATT sucks where I like and Verizon is king.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:35 AM   #18
jwt0001
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: 3193046c

Last night I wiped my Storm in preparation for sending it back. I still haven't done it yet. I have a couple of weeks before my 30 days is up and I feel like I would be making a mistake if I didn't work with it a little longer. There's no question that I love my curve, but I enjoy the larger screen on the Storm and generally don't have too much trouble typing on it. Given that after rebate I'll only be paying $150 for it, I'm beginning to think that it's probably a good idea to hold onto it.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:27 PM   #19
hudres

PIN: n/a
Lightbulb Great Platorm; Software Needs Work

There is no question in my mind that the Storm is going to be considered a classic once the initial bugs are worked out. As a serious business user, there are so many things that it does that my earlier BB's did not, and so many things that only this platform can deliver that I am sold even though I am still getting accustomed to it.

The biggest thing is the new keyboard. I am not a great typist on any machine. This has required me to relearn completely, as the virtual keyboard requires that you type with your thumbs. While I have never done this before (even on my other BB's), I am learning and each day I get a little more proficient.

The web browsing experience is incredible. I have always ignored this because it was a joke on earlier devices. On the Storm, you can actually read the page and it looks sort of like it does on a laptop or desktop.

The documents to go feature is an incredible time saver as I am constantly being asked for some document and instead of having to wait until I am in my office, I send it on the spot. This leaves a great impression on people. 73
Old 12-05-2008, 01:22 PM   #20
J S Machine

I'm still up in the air about this phone. I voted so-so.

I came from a vx8300 flip phone, and I had none of the data type stuff the blackberry has. I have never owned a blackberry. The reason I bought this phone is because it has an html browser on it. I like being able to have internet wherever I am. Although it is pretty much a complete PIA to input information into a txt field while on a web page, I guess it is better than nothing.

Not to sound like I'm complaining here, but there are several things I don't like.

1. The message folders are all jumbled up together, as well as the call log. instead of a sent, recieved, missed folder it has only one for each thing. It is a pain trying to look through a folder for a specific message or call when they are all in there together.

2. The accelerometer sucks. I wish there was a button to control this, instead of letting the device decide which way it wants to go. Mine is so slow it is unreal. I am still running .65, but I haven't figured out how to update it yet. Currently I have a calling issue so I can't do anyhting until I get home andf hook it up to my PC. It won't make a call right now because of some sort of error message.

3. The overall performance of the phone is just very slow. I hate waiting on the phone, and it just always seems like it takes forever to do anything. I understand that this is a very complicated electronic device, but some things are just unbelieveable. I timed it today and it took 2 minutes and 30 seconds to reboot after I pulled the battery.

4. The touch screen is more complicated and inaccurate than it is functional really. It's great for scrolling through pics or webpages or menus, but typing, or anything related to actually touching a certain place and selecting it, mediocre at best. forget sending a txt msg with one hand while driving. It aint happening.

5. If I try to hold the phone inbetween my head and shoulder to free my hands, my face clicks the mute button, which I don't find out about until the person on the other end of the line starts asking if I am still there. Very annoying.

That's all I can think of for the moment. I am sure the phone will get better as the updates come out and time goes on. I just wish I would have waited a few months and picked one up instead of getting a brand new day of release phone loaded with bugs.
Closed Thread