Old 12-25-2009, 04:51 PM   #1
dlcmdrx

Model: seth
PIN: N/A
Carrier: att
Default at&t and tethering

Please Login to Remove!

Hi there.

Im not a Us citizen but im studying here at florida, i have an at&t prepaid gophone with an unlock iphone.

The internet connection in my student dorms is horrible and the only feasible way to fix this seems through and unlimited 3g data plan which only seems a viable option through a tethering mobile device.

The store manager of an ATt store seems a honest guy because he told me there is a way to hide the tethering from att in windows mobile devices without charging me an extra 30$ for the regular 69.99 plan.

Is there a way to hide this in a blackberry? If so, which model??

Id hate to change my iphone for a windows mobile device and would rather have a blackberry.

Thanks

If you know how tethering can be hidden in an iphone that would also be helpfull. ( jailbreak maybe )

Last edited by dlcmdrx; 12-25-2009 at 04:53 PM..
Old 12-25-2009, 05:19 PM   #2
duane534
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9930
PIN: Ask Me
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcmdrx View Post
i have an at&t prepaid gophone with an unlock iphone.
First, iPhones are NOT allowed on GoPhone service. They sweep for IMEIs.

Quote:
The internet connection in my student dorms is horrible and the only feasible way to fix this seems through and unlimited 3g data plan which only seems a viable option through a tethering mobile device.
There is no longer an unlimited data plan for GoPhone, either.

Quote:
The store manager of an ATt store seems a honest guy because he told me there is a way to hide the tethering from att in windows mobile devices without charging me an extra 30$ for the regular 69.99 plan.
That was nice of him. Believe it or not, a lot of us reps really want what's best for our customers. Problem is, the plans he described to you are NOT GoPhone plans, nor are they iPhone plans.

Quote:
Is there a way to hide this in a blackberry? If so, which model??
I always tell people if there's anything a Windows Mobile device can do, the BlackBerry can do it and probably better, especially with an appropriate BIS/BES link.

Quote:
If you know how tethering can be hidden in an iphone that would also be helpfull. ( jailbreak maybe )
Jailbreak, definitely. I doubt that's an app in the App Store. LOL

When it comes down to it, your biggest crutch is the fact you're on GoPhone. It has a diminished coverage map and generally crippled rate plans, as to not conflict with "real" plans. Get on traditional service, drop the iPhone, and pick up a 3G BlackBerry, a Bold 9000 or a Bold 9700 if you can snag it at a good price.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:45 PM   #3
dlcmdrx

Model: seth
PIN: N/A
Carrier: att

Obviously im not gonna continue on a gophone plan, i will switch to the 69.99 plan.
What i am trying to avoid is getting charge an extra 30$ for tethering.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:13 PM   #4
duane534
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9930
PIN: Ask Me
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Obviously im not gonna continue on a gophone plan, i will switch to the 69.99 plan.
What i am trying to avoid is getting charge an extra 30$ for tethering.
Understandable. I would just see precisely what they're going to want from you to start service as a non-citizen w/o a SSN. As far as the specific technology, people tether their iPhones all the time. There's no tethering plan that fits the phone for them to even charge you.
Closed Thread