Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 08:58 AM   #1
arjunrc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800c
Carrier: cingular
Default International Travel with BB 8700c

Please Login to Remove!

Hello, I have a BB 8700c from cingular. I will be travelling to India for a few weeks and had some Qs:

1. If I get my BB 8700c unlocked, and swap the SIM card with a local Indian SIM card (so I don't get charged outrageous $2.xx per minute), will I still be able to use the BB Data service ? Or does that go away as soon as I replace my SIM ?
(I have subscribed to the unlimited global roaming data plan for $64.xx per month)

2. When I talked to a Cingular rep, she told me that if I keep my phone on in India and I receive an incoming call which I don't answer, the very fact that it reached my phone and _then_ went to the VM means I will be charged for that call !! I think this is ridiculous - can someone please clarify

thanks
Old 04-26-2006, 09:05 AM   #2
jwasnick

Model: 8700
Carrier: t-mobile

as soon as you replace the SIM, you will lose your data service from Cingular. I can't answer your second question as I am a t-mobile customer.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:27 AM   #3
nosidam
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrc
2. When I talked to a Cingular rep, she told me that if I keep my phone on in India and I receive an incoming call which I don't answer, the very fact that it reached my phone and _then_ went to the VM means I will be charged for that call !! I think this is ridiculous - can someone please clarify
That is correct. We have a lot of international Cingular travelers where I work, and we turn call forwarding off when they go international.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:28 AM   #4
arjunrc

Model: 8800c
Carrier: cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasnick
as soon as you replace the SIM, you will lose your data service from Cingular. I can't answer your second question as I am a t-mobile customer.
Thank you. I just managed to reach a knowledgeable support person at cingular and she unlocked my 8700c phone in a minute ! (The other person I called yesterday told me it would take 5 days and had 'processed a form' ! - I guess you need keep trying till you reach someone who knows)

She also confirmed that the way international roaming works, the fact that the call reached my device abroad will result in a phone call charge even if I decline the call and it goes to the VM.

r
Old 04-26-2006, 09:44 AM   #5
tfaz1
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrc
This is pretty standard across all carriers. T-Mobile has the same charges for international calls. You have to pay for the use of international towers, even if it's just to receive the call and the VM notification. It's sucks, but what are you going to do?
Closed Thread