BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 02:05 AM   #1
DonMcD

Model: 7520
Default Frustrated by my 7520

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I have had a 7520 for about 4 months and am very frustrated with the software logic and am hoping that there is a way to fix it.

I find the software requires too much navigation to execute simple functions. I spend time on the road (hence the need for a cell phone and email) and when I am in my car, I need to make calls. The Blackberry does not logically function the way I would like it to and requires me to look at the screen and scroll to options that I wish were the primary options. For example:

1) If I have a missed call and click on it under the first icon, the menu says open, rather than call. I rarely need to open a missed call. To call that person, I need look at the screen and scroll to Call xxx-xxx-xxxx. Bad news in a car.

2) If I click on the telephone icon, it only shows some of the calls I have made, not those recieved. It also will not allow me to launch into my phone directory unless I scroll to Call from Address book. Not good when in a car.

3) If I go to the address book and click on a name, it brings up view, not call. Again I have to scroll to the Call option on the menu.

Each of these illustrate a logic problem that I wish could be resolved. When I need to use my 7520 as a phone, I am often in a position where I do not have the ability to scroll through menu options (in my car). When I am checking email, I am always in a position where scrolling through menus is not an issue (never while driving a car). Even still, there is no real reason why an email would need to trigger the same priority of menu options as a voice call because the unit has to differentiate between the two.

I want my 7520 to function under the logic of a phone first and email second. Other co-workers carry cell phones and Blackberry's because of this issue, and I find that unacceptable.

Here is aother frustrating issue. Say you give me your number and I dial it to send you my number and the disconect and try to add your name ad save the number to my address book. I have to Open and then Add to Address Book. Why the extra step?

Is there a solution other than turning in my 7520?

I am asked all the time how I like the unit and I have to be honest, it is cumbersome and I find it dangerous to use when driving. I know that a reply might be pull over, but sorry that is not a real option on the highway and not a big solution over using a payphone at a 7-11.

Thanks.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:44 AM   #2
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMcD
Hi,

I have had a 7520 for about 4 months and am very frustrated with the software logic and am hoping that there is a way to fix it.

I find the software requires too much navigation to execute simple functions. I spend time on the road (hence the need for a cell phone and email) and when I am in my car, I need to make calls. The Blackberry does not logically function the way I would like it to and requires me to look at the screen and scroll to options that I wish were the primary options. For example:

1) If I have a missed call and click on it under the first icon, the menu says open, rather than call. I rarely need to open a missed call. To call that person, I need look at the screen and scroll to Call xxx-xxx-xxxx. Bad news in a car. Agree that does suck

2) If I click on the telephone icon, it only shows some of the calls I have made, not those recieved. It also will not allow me to launch into my phone directory unless I scroll to Call from Address book. Not good when in a car.Change the way your call log is I have mine set to show recieved only

3) If I go to the address book and click on a name, it brings up view, not call. Again I have to scroll to the Call option on the menu.

Each of these illustrate a logic problem that I wish could be resolved. When I need to use my 7520 as a phone, I am often in a position where I do not have the ability to scroll through menu options (in my car). When I am checking email, I am always in a position where scrolling through menus is not an issue (never while driving a car). Even still, there is no real reason why an email would need to trigger the same priority of menu options as a voice call because the unit has to differentiate between the two.

I want my 7520 to function under the logic of a phone first and email second. Other co-workers carry cell phones and Blackberry's because of this issue, and I find that unacceptable. It was designed for email first phone second

Here is aother frustrating issue. Say you give me your number and I dial it to send you my number and the disconect and try to add your name ad save the number to my address book. I have to Open and then Add to Address Book. Why the extra step?

Is there a solution other than turning in my 7520?

I am asked all the time how I like the unit and I have to be honest, it is cumbersome and I find it dangerous to use when driving. I know that a reply might be pull over, but sorry that is not a real option on the highway and not a big solution over using a payphone at a 7-11.

Thanks.
I agree it can be cumbersome but I drive probally a hundred miles a day between job sites and I bought a great holder for the dash and I can manipulate it while in the holder with one hand so its much easier.

I cant believe you would say that stopping at a pay phone was a better option
Old 07-22-2005, 07:18 AM   #3
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
I want my 7520 to function under the logic of a phone first and email second.
I think you summed up the problem right there. The 7520 is an e-mail device first. It may not be the right tool for you. The 7100 series (I know Nextel doesn't offer it yet) is a phone first and an e-mail device second. But the other BlackBerrys, including the 7520 are designed to be e-mail devices.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:33 AM   #4
Hackberry
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMcD
I find it dangerous to use when driving.
Then don't use it while driving. Moron.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:43 AM   #5
Dawg
No longer Registered.

now that wasnt nessecary hackberry
Old 07-22-2005, 09:40 AM   #6
Crank_It_Up

Carrier: Nextel

I find if I hold my blackberry in front of me and above the dashboard while driving, right next to my normal line of sight, I can still see the road in my peripheral vision. Changing focus back and forth from the blackberry to the road is faster and easier.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:41 AM   #7
Hackberry

I'm reminded of the (Marx brothers?) gag:

Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this."
Doctor: "Don't do it then."

If someone finds reading email dangerous when driving, the only proper response is to tell that person to not do it. I would hope this would be obvious to all but the most simple-minded, hence the 'moron' epithet.

Never mind the fact that it actually is dangerous.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:10 PM   #8
insecterx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackberry
I'm reminded of the (Marx brothers?) gag:

Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this."
Doctor: "Don't do it then."

If someone finds reading email dangerous when driving, the only proper response is to tell that person to not do it. I would hope this would be obvious to all but the most simple-minded, hence the 'moron' epithet.

Never mind the fact that it actually is dangerous.

i totally agree!!! my wife and friend were in car accidents (nobody was hurt) because the idiot drivers that hit them were both on their cell phones. and now we need to worry about those same idiots reading emails too??? just how stupid are people??? my advice to you DocMcD, if you pull your car off the road, your blackberry just might be easier to use. and no, pulling the car over should be your ONLY option when on the highway - its called a break down lane or the next exit but it looks like you are too lazy to use either one. do us all a favor and use some common sense, you just might save a few lives (including your own) in the process.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:13 PM   #9
Moonshadow
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8130
Carrier: TELUS

DITTO in Spades
Old 07-22-2005, 01:48 PM   #10
VprV10

hmm... i guess typing while driving is out of the question.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:57 PM   #11
CrackWheel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: ATT

You are all guilty of driving and talking on your cell phones. This board is not one in which we stand behind our computers and sling insults. Please keep it civil. We are here for information and community support. If you are going to hold yourself to a higher standard and insult rather than help, then GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. The driving while talking/typing is for another time. If you want to debate the issue, start a new thread. DonMcD has legit questions.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:36 PM   #12
Dawg
No longer Registered.

well said crackwheel people are to quick to throw insults at others when they sit behind a computer screen.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:49 PM   #13
rcrivera03
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Cool

I agree with you CrackWheel.

The day after I got a BB for my son I told him, don't drive and read. That very nigh I caught him doing it, smacked him in the back of the head. The next morning he smacks me in the back of the head, when I asked him why, he said, "you're driving and reading!"

DonMcD, Unfortunately I too must drive and read at the same time. In my line of work (Search & Rescue) I do not have the luxury of stopping to read an email or answer a call.

I purchased a BB Stand and a Laptop stand for vehicles, and modified both to fit next to the steering wheel, but directly in my line of sight, allowing me to look at the road and the BB at the same time, for phone calls I use and earpiece. Also, I rearranged the Icons so I know at all times just how may clicks I need to turn the wheel to get to a specific icon. Drawback is if you don't return to the starting point, your count is thrown off. Don't give up on the BB, you find your ways around it.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:49 PM   #14
CrackWheel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrivera03
I agree with you CrackWheel.

The day after I got a BB for my son I told him, don't drive and read. That very nigh I caught him doing it, smacked him in the back of the head. The next morning he smacks me in the back of the head, when I asked him why, he said, "you're driving and reading!"

DonMcD, Unfortunately I too must drive and read at the same time. In my line of work (Search & Rescue) I do not have the luxury of stopping to read an email or answer a call.

I purchased a BB Stand and a Laptop stand for vehicles, and modified both to fit next to the steering wheel, but directly in my line of sight, allowing me to look at the road and the BB at the same time, for phone calls I use and earpiece. Also, I rearranged the Icons so I know at all times just how may clicks I need to turn the wheel to get to a specific icon. Drawback is if you don't return to the starting point, your count is thrown off. Don't give up on the BB, you find your ways around it.

You should look into the Motorola ML900. It has a slick vehicle intergration and has almost every wireless protocol...even iden direct connect.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:55 PM   #15
rcrivera03

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackWheel
You should look into the Motorola ML900. It has a slick vehicle intergration and has almost every wireless protocol...even iden direct connect.

Your the second person to tell me that, but I was told only works for the 7520, I use the 7510. I will double check though. As for my son, I've spent enough on him already.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:56 PM   #16
Hackberry

Quote:
You are all guilty of driving and talking on your cell phones. This board is not one in which we stand behind our computers and sling insults. Please keep it civil. We are here for information and community support. If you are going to hold yourself to a higher standard and insult rather than help, then GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. The driving while talking/typing is for another time. If you want to debate the issue, start a new thread. DonMcD has legit questions.
I have an earpiece for just this reason. I have never initiated a call from my car while moving, and I don't intend to start until the BB has voice dialling. I hope you understand there is a difference between talking and reading.

I find it quite arrogant of you to assume everyone here is guilty of the same sin. If this is holding myself to a higher standard, so be it - what exactly is wrong with doing so?

The OP brought up the issue of driving while talking/ typing/ reading. I responded in kind. If you don't like this, stop reading the forum.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:22 PM   #17
CrackWheel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackberry
I have an earpiece for just this reason. I have never initiated a call from my car while moving, and I don't intend to start until the BB has voice dialling. I hope you understand there is a difference between talking and reading.

I find it quite arrogant of you to assume everyone here is guilty of the same sin. If this is holding myself to a higher standard, so be it - what exactly is wrong with doing so?

The OP brought up the issue of driving while talking/ typing/ reading. I responded in kind. If you don't like this, stop reading the forum.
Before this becomes a pissing match over the internet...you are guilty of MY statement. You talk and drive which is still dangerous to use while driving. So you are sinner just like the rest of us. Now if you would like to argue the levels of which we sin, maybe we should take this to another forum.

My Point (again): We all are guilty of talking on a cell phone while driving. Whether or not you look at the phone....

My advice: Try not to be so abrasive when trying to help someone. When I try to help someone who is on the ground...I usually don't step on their chest as I pull them up
Old 07-22-2005, 06:22 PM   #18
rcrivera03

Talking

Quote:
Called Motorola about this, and they said whoever told you to look into it was right, so thanks, they put me in touch with a local Motorola Authorized installer. I told the dealer what I do for a living, he's coming tomorrow to go over the set up and show me the ML900.

Thanks again.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:24 PM   #19
CrackWheel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrivera03
Called Motorola about this, and they said whoever told you to look into it was right, so thanks, they put me in touch with a local Motorola Authorized installer. I told the dealer what I do for a living, he's coming tomorrow to go over the set up and show me the ML900.

Thanks again.

They can get expenisve...make sure you only buy what you are going to use. See if they have any demo or refurbs! TAKE PICS!!!
Old 07-22-2005, 06:25 PM   #20
rcrivera03

Thumbs up

Quote:
They can get expenisve...make sure you only buy what you are going to use. See if they have any demo or refurbs! TAKE PICS!!!
Business write off, if I get it installed, I'll take pics and post them for you guys!