Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 12:46 PM   #41
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

I just installed this new version. Mostly for the 'Ringer Volume Boost'. Didn't make much of a difference. That's the only thing I don't like about this phone. I miss calls way too much. Even when on loud. (I do listen to music at high volume in my truck though, so some of it is my fault )
Old 11-22-2007, 03:08 PM   #42
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3 UP.Link/5.1.2.1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98
^^^ Yeah, everything in that list except for VZNav stuff was already in the previous release, especially A2DP Bluetooth profiles. I think VZW is smoking crack and trying to toot their own horn a little bit with this upgrade by requoting the enhancements from the old OS as to not bring "too much" attention to the fact that this OS only brings VZNav capability.
Thank you
Maybe we will see something worthwhile in 08.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 11-22-2007, 06:21 PM   #43
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

the os install of telus was way bigger by 8 megs vs .148 148 i had about 25-30 megs free, same install of telus about 20...
Old 11-22-2007, 09:56 PM   #44
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller

Upgraded on Wednesday and it appears that the phone operation is more snappy. Things seems to happen faster after clinking on a new application. Anyone else notice this?
Old 11-22-2007, 10:57 PM   #45
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98 View Post
^^^ Yeah, everything in that list except for VZNav stuff was already in the previous release, especially A2DP Bluetooth profiles. I think VZW is smoking crack and trying to toot their own horn a little bit with this upgrade by requoting the enhancements from the old OS as to not bring "too much" attention to the fact that this OS only brings VZNav capability.
Hmmm, I noticed a huge speed increase over the last release. Things seem to be moving much faster than they did in the past. I also noticed that they fixed a glitch on the font smoothing "They Look Great Now" ... So far I also noticed that my ringer is a tad bit louder than it was before. Oh, and internet access seems to be running quicker "Since this is BIS specific and not for BES" .. VZNavigator now works and it works great for me, I am very happy with this OS Update.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:29 AM   #46
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: *

I have no issues with fonts and I hardly run the cheap VZW theme, so it doesn't matter to me. I don't use font smoothing anyway, it looks wrong to me somehow. As for the device being quicker... reboot more. The device is always faster after it's recently restarted. It's been like this for each of the OSs I've seen... including this new one.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:35 PM   #47
dcarr66

Model: Tour
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit View Post
for gps to work, you need vznav, and the subscription to vznav, then it will only work in vznav

hope this clears it up a lil

So GPS is still effectively crippled unless you pay a monthly sub for VZNavigator.

I have no problem with VZW attempting to offer a superior product. I might decide to pay them $10/mo for a great navigation experience. But the thought of them locking certain features in the phone to force me to pay really pisses me off.

Evil Scumbags...
Old 11-25-2007, 09:57 PM   #48
gaspin

Default VZ Navigator functional

Well after a long period of frustration with no location-based services, now at least VZW has provided the VZNav application. You need the OS update and of course the app and services for $9.99/mo. No, the GPS function is not available to other apps such as GoogleMaps and BBMaps. When you install the update on the 8830, there's a bookmark added to d/l VZ Navigator, then you need to allow all permissions to the app and call VZ to provision the app. Works great for me, finally. Get it here: BlackBerry® Software Updates
for the BES version directly here: http://download.vzwshop.com/vzw/blac...A4.2.2.176.exe and the personal email version appears to be the same: http://download.vzwshop.com/vzw/blac...A4.2.2.176.exe
Old 11-26-2007, 11:52 AM   #49
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

So If I have the Navigator, no need to have google maps or bb maps???
Old 11-26-2007, 02:05 PM   #50
dcarr66

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspin View Post
Well after a long period of frustration with no location-based services, now at least VZW has provided the VZNav application. You need the OS update and of course the app and services for $9.99/mo. No, the GPS function is not available to other apps such as GoogleMaps and BBMaps. When you install the update on the 8830, there's a bookmark added to d/l VZ Navigator, then you need to allow all permissions to the app and call VZ to provision the app. Works great for me, finally. <snip>
Boycott, boycott, boycott!!!
This is anti-competitive behavior by VZW, and we shouldn't reward them for it.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:05 PM   #51
dcarr66

Light at the end of the tunnel?

Verizon Wireless To Introduce ‘Any Apps, Any Device’ Option For Customers In 2008

I'm pessimistic, but you never know...
Old 11-27-2007, 12:24 PM   #52
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Those lawyers are quick and inventive. This was a release to help justify their already "locked down and strict" rules for letting people use whatever apps they want. So far they have been giving people the statement that "if apps don't pass their testing process for security and stability" they will not let you use them. Well, in doing so, they also didn't give the public or designers of said apps an avenue to take in order to get these apps certified and passed onto the customer. So, the lawyers were forced to design this procedural way for designers to submit their apps because had they not, there was a little bit of legal recourse in there for people to sue them (belive it or not). By putting this new plan in motion VZW has basically turned the tables back on everyone and if they choose to not let an app be usefull on their phones now they truly have a leg to stand on in terms of "blaming" the developer of the app whereas they didn't before. Not only that, but if they choose to now lock out all 3rd party apps completely until they pass these "new standards" they put into affect they can legally do so now as well. Gota love Verizon. I'm not saying that this new development is "bad", it might be a step in the right direction, but if they choose to use this in a "bad" way, they will use it as outlined above. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Edit:
A little more info. Verizon's Open Network Has Eyes On The Future - News and Analysis by PC Magazine

Seems the openness stems from them following Sprint's footsteps to keep from getting sued like Sprint did and lost and to also help them along on the PR side should they get involved with the 700MHz takeover... ermmm, bid when that happens.

Last edited by John Clark; 11-28-2007 at 12:16 AM.. Reason: just can't seem to keep the language out
Old 11-27-2007, 05:25 PM   #53
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

And even more.... Verizon Wireless Opens Their Network, Sort Of - Is this a paradigm shift or just a public relations play? - dslreports.com

Wow, look at all those people agreeing that Verizon is #1 when it comes to locking things down.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:57 AM   #54
mmanda

Carrier: VERIZON
Default unlock verizon 8830 / 3rd party sim card international usage

Please help how to unlock verizon 8830 world edition phone
Also can I use 3rd party SIM card when travel outside USA
Old 12-23-2007, 06:25 AM   #55
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmanda View Post
Please help how to unlock verizon 8830 world edition phone
Also can I use 3rd party SIM card when travel outside USA
Call Verizon and speak to them.
At this time, they are offering unlock codes under very stringent guidelines.
I do not think any third-party unlockers have codes for Verizon 8830 devices yet.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:30 AM   #56
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM View Post
Upgraded on Wednesday and it appears that the phone operation is more snappy. Things seems to happen faster after clinking on a new application. Anyone else notice this?
I just did the upgrade and boosted my memory by 8 MG. Maybe that is why your device seems teh way it does.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:33 AM   #57
chase2marc

I was wondering if any of you have installed this on a Corporate BB. I own my device and am on my companies BES. Is mine still considered a corporate device? Should I attempt the upgrade?

Marc
Closed Thread