BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 01:05 PM   #41
barjohn
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

None that I am aware of. Maybe someone else know of one.

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Old 03-30-2005, 12:55 AM   #42
bernielike

sony ericcson hbh-660 looks great, works great, sounds great, AND it tells you the name/number of who's calling so you don't have to even take your BB out of your pocket! It has a cool lanyard that lets you hang it around your neck too. I love it.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:04 AM   #43
heathen

Default BT800 Vs HS850 Vs Jabra 250

I started with the Jabra 250, and after trying the HS850 and the BT800, I'm considering going back to my original Jabra 250!

My handset is a BB 7250
The Jabra 250 produced the best sound quality by far. The only drawback, and it was a major one, was that I didn't like the earjel system. In order for me to hear adequately I had to put the gel into my ear canal. This kept the mic close enough to my jaw to pick up my voice clearly to the caller, and kept the speaker "sealed" in my ear so that I could hear clearly. This was distracting, because now I only had one ear with which to hear the outside world! After maybe 1 week of wearing the Jabra for maybe 4-6 hours a day, the unit starting hanging further from my ear, and it became more and more difficult to keep it pressed against my ear to "seal" the earjel. I never tried the "Locking" eargels, so maybe that's what I need.

I tried the HS850 and it was WAY too noisy in any kind of windy environment. It also picked up too much of the background noise. I own a nightclub, and I really need to find something that can pick up my voice OVER background noise.

I tried the BT800. Loved the idea of its features. I think I may have a bad unit though. It will NOT answer a call when I press the answer button, I have to answer via the handset. The volume is high enough for me to hear clearly, but when I speak I get a significant echo. The echo is present regardless of how charged up the battery is. I will be taking it back tomorrow.

So.. despite the discomfort, and the possibility of having to keep one finger pressed against my Jabra while on the phone (which kind of defeats the purpose), I may go back to the Jabra 250.

-Heathen
Old 03-31-2005, 02:56 PM   #44
barjohn

I have ordered a Flamingo headset that I hope will meet my needs. I will post a review after I get it. Chris (one of the owners at Impact Wireless that sells them) states that it is very good and he is reccomending it. It isn't cheap so it needs to be good to be worth the price. SE will be coming out with a 5/6 gram unit and SE in general seems to have one of the better reputations in this area though I haven't tried on yet so I can't give you first hand info.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 04-02-2005, 03:20 PM   #45
heathen

I just finished trying the SCALA-500. For me, this was the worst of a bad lot. It has a slight echo. I can mentally tune it out, as the delay is not toooo bad. People that I call say I sound like I'm speaking through a fan, my voice is chopped and "robotic" sounding. this must be the noise cancellation software trying to compensate for my noisy bar. Sometime when I make a call, I get a feeback squeal that is loud enough to be painful! That seems to happen about once every 4 calls. To fix it, I can hit the MFW and jog the volume down a couple of notches, then back up and the squeal is gone. Still. I can't live with that.

Today I'm taking it back and going back to the Jabra freespeak 250, which is what I started with before I launched a crusade to find something more comfortable!

_heathen
Old 04-03-2005, 01:05 AM   #46
DTB

Hi everyone, I am new here (1st post) and decided to finally register and ask a few questions if I could.

1st off, Barjohn thank you for taking the time to do the reviews. Greatly appreciated.

With a 7100g, I orginially had decided to get a Jabra BT250 but read on several occassions that the wind and any background noise is a problem, so that scratch that one. I read your entire report here and learn a lot.

1) In your opinion, which the better headset overall, M3000 or ET2000?

I see both have many Pros and Cons between the two. I listened to your sound recordings and the Tekkeon seemed to have a fuller sound to me over the M3000 although I could here slightly less background noise with the M3000 on your recording, but there wasn't very much difference between the two items. You state the Plantronic had issues with the calling party hearing you and the Tekkeon was not designed very well with the Ear hook device.

2) Has the M3000 called party volume issue been resolved?

I really don't like the design of the Tekkeon much and can see how you would worry if the ear hook is not used and it falls out, but sound quality if very important for me.

I use a plantronic wireless device at work and it works great and the sound is very very good. The design is almost identical to the M3000, but it has a longer boom mic where as the M3000 doesn't have an extension. If the size is the only draw back, I am not really worried about that.

I read on Behandsfree.com, the BT800 has known compatibility issues with blackberry devices.

I am at a lost with the Motorolas HS 8XX line. I have seen about a 50/50 percentage (love/hate) on these and that is hard to determine who is right and is wrong. Both have valid points which make it even harder to decide, so I just decided not to go with Motorola to resolve that issue.

3) What do you think about or know about the HBH-660?

Thanks,
DTB
Old 04-03-2005, 09:25 PM   #47
barjohn

From a sound quality stand point the M3000 and its noise cancellation is the best I have tried so far. In a real life test in my Rx330 the other party could not tell I was in my car talking. With all of the other headsets they could. Size and comfort were my isues. It is large and a bit geeky looking. I think I would have put up with that if it just didn't hurt my ear so much. The earpiece is hard plastic and the earhook sort of presses it against your ear. The combination hurts after a while. It may be different for you so I can't say that it will hurt everyone. The Tekkeon had the best sound in a quiet room but couldn't compare in a noisy envrionment. I have not treied the SE660 or HBH 300. Many people swear by the lattter with the biggest complaint being either too low a volume or hurting or requiring an ear gel to get the volume to a reasonable level.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 04-04-2005, 09:31 AM   #48
heathen

Finished Testing my Motorola HS820 earpiece. The big con for me was that the caller can barely, barely hear me. In a normal tone of voice in a quiet background I still sound like a tiny mouse speaking from the bottom of a deep well! I never even got to test this one at my nightclub, because if people couldn't hear me from home, they'd never hear me from the club at all. The HS820 was loud enough on MY end, just not on the other end.

Now I have the Jabra BT250V I didn't want the Vibrate model, but that's all they had, so I decided to try it. I thought it would work the same as the BT250 Freespeak. However, I've noticed that although the weight and sound quality seem the same, the features ARE NOT!! It will NOT answer a second incoming call. It will NOT redial. My Jabra BT250 did both without a problem. Does this vary by device or is this an issue with the "Vibrating" model? I don't know and Jabra isn't saying. I've emailed them with several questions and received no response.

The Vibrating feature is okay, it wasn't "weird" or startling or anything. There is a multi-function button on the phone that you are supposed to "tap" to answer incoming calls. Instead I must hold it down for 3 seconds in order to answer incoming calls. I'm supposed to hold that button down for a couple of seconds to switch to a second incoming call. Instead the earpiece hangs up on BOTH calls if the button is tapped or held down.

cheers!
Heathen
Old 04-04-2005, 01:15 PM   #49
Jason_AB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: BOLD
Carrier: at&t

I have the 7520 from Nextel and bought a BT800 with the hopes of it being the best, for it was not. I have to answer calls from the BB the headset won’t answer any calls. All other function worked as they were intended. The other huge issues was the time delay and echo, I thought I could get used to it but no shot.

Please help me find the best bluetooth model, my criteria are, sound quality for me and the person I am speaking with. Money, looks, etc… I am not to worried about, if it function as it is intended. Prior to this BB I had the i730 with the ear piece & wire, it worked great, sounded great and the people I was talking with didn’t know if I was using a headset, mobile, or house phone.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:50 PM   #50
EGottlieb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Vodafone UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen
Now I have the Jabra BT250V I didn't want the Vibrate model, but that's all they had, so I decided to try it. I thought it would work the same as the BT250 Freespeak. However, I've noticed that although the weight and sound quality seem the same, the features ARE NOT!! It will NOT answer a second incoming call. It will NOT redial. My Jabra BT250 did both without a problem. Does this vary by device or is this an issue with the "Vibrating" model? I don't know and Jabra isn't saying. I've emailed them with several questions and received no response.
Sounds like you paired it as a "headset" and not "handsfree". If it is like the BT200, hold the volume up button while holding the call button until the light comes on solid. Then have your blackberry search for the device. When you pair it that way you should have the "enhanced" features.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:38 PM   #51
Rikster2002

I have a BB 7520 with Nextel and Use the HS850. It works great. Good sound quality, great battery life. Only complaint I have is VOLUME. I travel most the day in a work van and have a bit of road noise and would love to have it louder. Anyone have the same issue and is there a fix?
Old 04-04-2005, 08:22 PM   #52
barjohn

If the road noise is affecting you, I'll bet it is hell for the other party.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 04-04-2005, 08:37 PM   #53
Rikster2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by barjohn
If the road noise is affecting you, I'll bet it is hell for the other party.
Actually it is not bad from what people tell me.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:47 PM   #54
heathen

Egottlieb wrote:
"Sounds like you paired it as a "headset" and not "handsfree". If it is like the BT200, hold the volume up button while holding the call button until the light comes on solid. Then have your blackberry search for the device. When you pair it that way you should have the "enhanced" features."

--- Thanks!! That is exactly right. I followed your description and now the "enhanced" features are available. I wonder why Jabra support couldn't tell me that?!!?? You should get a job as tier two at Jabra (LOL!!) Anyway, thanks for the help, it is working as it should now.

-Heathen
Old 04-05-2005, 12:37 AM   #55
TRaymond
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Default BlueTrek G2

Just my $.02.

I just purchased my Blackberry 7100t five days ago. Along with it, I purchased the BlueTrek G2 (http://www.bluetrek.com/bluetrekG2/bluetrekG2.htm) for about 75 bucks at my local Fry's Electronics.

Availiable in Blue (Shown above), Black, and Titanium

I'll admit I'm no bluetooth expert (as a matter of fact, that ought to be a consideration when choosing any device....can the novice user get up and running quickly). Without reading any manuals (except how to activate the pairing function on the headset), I was up and running in less than 3 minutes. The G2 comes with a Charger, the headset, and a beltclip soft case for putting the thing in when you don't want a headset on your face

Performance has been EXCEPTIONAL. Product site states 9 hours of talk time and 400 hours of standby. As for actuals, I haven't had it die on me yet. Busiest day so far included 3.5 hours of talk time and a day and a half of standby with no problems.

I can have my 7100t downstairs in the kitchen locked in the holster and answer the phone with a push of a button on my headset upstairs in my office. (WOW). I've had one or two other bluetooth headsets a while back and this thing makes those other's I've owned look like a commodore 64 next to 64 bit Processor.

It's small..It's sleek...It's extremely comfortable (I wear mine from the time I wake up till the time I go to sleep.

Like I said, I'm new here and perhaps I'm missing something (haven't seen the BlueTrek G2 listed in this post so far), but it works GREAT for me.

--TRaymond

Last edited by TRaymond; 04-06-2005 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: Adding Picture
Old 04-05-2005, 06:07 AM   #56
Ajnt

Very interesting thread.

Has anyone got any experience with the TomTom Go in-car navigator? Their marketing says that it can be used as a handsfree when paired on Bluetooth.

Andi
Old 04-05-2005, 09:54 AM   #57
mrogers
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100

I'm amazed that no one here has bought/reviewed/mentioned the new Logitech Mobile Freedom. Every mention I've been able to find of it has been overwhelmingly positive, especially about isolating wind noise, and it's so cheap to boot:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...659&spf=1&sp=1

$38 shipped right now. I already have a Moto HS810 and I can't afford to buy headsets just for the hell of it, but if someone here could write up a review of that headset I'd love to know what your thoughts are, and I think it deserves serious consideration against all of the other headsets reviewed in this thread.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:13 AM   #58
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Default Logitech

I have heard the same thing. One functionality point kept me from giving up my 810 which I think works fine for hotel rooms, cars with only one window open, in the house and other not overly noisy environments. I have also used the 810 while walking along busy streets and have not had my listeners complain.

The functionality is the on/off. It's a long button push on the Logitech - which my friend has and showed me. I like the boom function on the 810 as the on/off.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:14 AM   #59
barjohn

I have considered ordering it but several reviews on other posts have given it mixed reviews. Sound quality does not seem to be the issue, rather it is size and discomfort. I can't afford to try every headset so I am trying to focus on those with the most promise and I will keep searching until I find one that meets my standards. I encourage others to experiment and share their findings including sound clips. I have seen numerous posts that contradict my findings but they never post sound clips under similar test conditions so I don't know if their standards are lower than mine as to what is acceptable or I just happened to hae the odd bad unit. If you do post clips, please try and specify the conditions under which you tested and the phone you were paired to. I am now down to the 7100t as my test phone having returned both the Motorola V3 and the BB 7250. Both good units but they don't meet my standards for a phone.

I wish the LG 4500 I still have had Bluetooth because it is a far better phone than the 7100t. An interesting aside is that the V3 that is touted as having a great signal capability was not as good as the 7100t in that department and in my house often showed only 1 bar where the 7100t shows 2 and it would drop calls where the 7100t has not.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 04-05-2005, 11:06 PM   #60
gagankohli

Default Gagan Kohli

Hi Hi Hi
Closed Thread