BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 11:49 PM   #41
barjohn
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

I haven't had this problem yet but we need to have some controlled experiments so we know exactly what is happening. First, you need to see if it happens with a Bluetooth headset. Go where you have a two line phone and first call your phone and answer it with the Bluetooth headset, put the call on hold from the landline and call your headset from the second line and see if it switches you or gives you notice and a chance to manually select switching. If it drops the first call and then picks up the second we definitely have a Bluetooth bug. If it doesn't, then have a friend do the same thing from a landline while you are in the car and see what happens. If it now drops the first call where it didn't before, we know it is tied to the specific vehicle class and system. If it turn out to be a bug and you have that kind of data we can probably get it fixed.

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Old 11-30-2005, 11:36 AM   #42
amukhey
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have seen this with the 4.0 Module. Have you tried using the 4.02? I have not tried with 8700 yet with the 4.1
Old 12-01-2005, 09:40 PM   #43
jmejonesnovo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by barjohn
The BB 7250 support both the headset and the handsfree profiles so it should pair up with the BMW's Bluetooth. What you won't be able to do is transfer phone numbers to the unit's memory. One of these days RIM will figure out that it must provide this ability to at least upload phonebook to a handsfree device. My Lexus has the same compatibility issue. The other problem is that the Bluetooth sound quality is less than great with BBs in general compared to other handsets. The 7100 is a perfect example with 3.8 sounding much better than 4.0. To load my phone numbers I had to go buy an inexpensive handset with Bluetooth and load my address book into it and then upload it to the Lexus. Then I can pair my BB and use it. Quite a pain in the A$$!
Being a newbie I respect Barjohn and am honored that I can disagree with him today. My new 8700 and all BB for that matter don't work well with third party handsfree devices. I just bought a TomTom GO 700 yesterday and before I could get to the B of Black-... their tech support told me forget about BB and handsfree. It's something in the RIM software that prohibits it's use. No patch or solution is available for TomTom yet. Of course this could be a totally seperate problem.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:40 PM   #44
barjohn

Sorry to dissapoint you but handsfree has nothing to do with GPS which is what TomTom GO is. There is currently no support for GPS either directly or through any third party device. I think I even mentioned somewhere in a post that it would be a nice feature to have but I wasn't sure how it would be implimented without have a secondary storage card for maps. The person responding was looking to link in a Bluetooth GPS reciever and only download direction for getting from one point to another which could be stored inb memory. Handsfree here refers to the profile used in some Bluetooth headsets and in car systems that act as a speakerphone and also support the address book. I have no idea whether TomTom Go 5 portends to offer such a profile, but if it does it must be compliant with certain standards within the profile to work. Bluetooth devices have been problomatic becasue of small variances between the way manufacturers impliment them. If you have followed my posts and my web site you would see that I always recommend testing a particular combination first. Hence I always name the specific device that I have direct experience using. I don't go further.

In my testing of the handsfree profile on the 8700 it has been limited to the 2006 325i BMW and the 2005 Lexus RX330. The first worked fully as it should, the latter only provided the audio and no address book function.

I hope this clarifies the situation for you.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 12-08-2005, 11:11 AM   #45
BBFun

Model: 8770c
Unhappy BMW/8770 Nightmare

I tried to connect a Cingular 8770 to a 645 and had major issues. I'm running on BB OS 4.1.
1. Inconsistent connecting - After fumbling through the idrive console for what felt like forever, I finally got it to connect. If I turned the car off it (and removed the key), then started it up again, the bb would not reconnect. After working though a myriad of troubleshooting steps - rebooting the bb, turning on/off bluetooth, disconnecting the bb's bluetooth connection to the car and reconnecting, deleting the 8770 connection on the car and re-adding it, etc. it would work. But each time it would loose connection meant at least 20 minutes of fumbling around to get it reconnected. I still don't know after hours how to reconnect it consistently

2. The idrive would stay on (sometimes) even after the key is out of the ignition whether I was in the middle of a call or not.

3. THE MOST DAUNTING OF ALL: The idrive wheel, which normally you are not able to move more clicks than the number of menu options available now spins 360 degrees in either direction. Basically you can spin it as many times to the right or left as you want and the car is in a mute mode where no voice activated commands work, no radio, and since the idrive scroll wheel is broken, I can't switch any menu items!!!

I love technology. Aren't these things fun?
Old 12-08-2005, 11:30 AM   #46
barjohn

After pairing the devices did you go into the properties screen for the device and set it to trusted=yes? If you didn't make the BMW a trusted device you will have problems with it wanting to request permission to connect.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 12-08-2005, 11:42 AM   #47
BBFun

Model: 8770c

barjohn-
Trusted was set to Yes. Thanks anyway. I did get it to work for at least a few test calls at one point. Now it is totally screwed up though.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:55 PM   #48
petersenca45

Model: 7130e
Default Bluetooth worked on 2006 325! Then it didn't....

I got my 7130e a couple of weeks ago and finally got a number of bugs worked out.

I picked up my 2006 325i today with bluetooth (very happy)! The first time I tried to pair the car with the phone it worked, and even downloaded my phonebook (although it only pulled down the name, type of number (ie moble, office, etc) and the area code. I got a couple of calls on my car on the way back to work and it worked like a charm. I even made calls by dialing through the raido. Then came the evening....

When I got in my car to go home, the phone and the car did not automatically pair. When I hit the phone button in the car, I only got a searching for paired devices message on the car. As for the phone, it indicated that bluetooth was disconnected. From within the phone I tried to connect under the BMW profile, but only got the disconnect message. I erased the profile, set up the pairing again, and got a successful pair. But as soon as I tried to make a call, I got the "searching for paired devices" message on the car, and a disconnected message in the 7130e.

I paired and unpaired 5 or 6 times. Although it always found the phone and said it was a successful pair, as soon as I tried to do anything, I got the searching message again, with the same disconnect message on the phone. I tried "trusted" and with encription on and off. No luck. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:50 PM   #49
pablor

Model: 7520

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBFun
I tried to connect a Cingular 8770 to a 645 and had major issues. I'm running on BB OS 4.1.
1. Inconsistent connecting - After fumbling through the idrive console for what felt like forever, I finally got it to connect. If I turned the car off it (and removed the key), then started it up again, the bb would not reconnect. After working though a myriad of troubleshooting steps - rebooting the bb, turning on/off bluetooth, disconnecting the bb's bluetooth connection to the car and reconnecting, deleting the 8770 connection on the car and re-adding it, etc. it would work. But each time it would loose connection meant at least 20 minutes of fumbling around to get it reconnected. I still don't know after hours how to reconnect it consistently

2. The idrive would stay on (sometimes) even after the key is out of the ignition whether I was in the middle of a call or not.

3. THE MOST DAUNTING OF ALL: The idrive wheel, which normally you are not able to move more clicks than the number of menu options available now spins 360 degrees in either direction. Basically you can spin it as many times to the right or left as you want and the car is in a mute mode where no voice activated commands work, no radio, and since the idrive scroll wheel is broken, I can't switch any menu items!!!

I love technology. Aren't these things fun?
Sounds like you have to take your car to the dealer and get them to upgrade the CIP software. Current software for 545/645 is at v19.1 or higher. All your problems will go away with later software. Dealer should upgrade for free if you tell them you have bluetooth problems. 2004-2005 BMW 5 and 6 series software versions 18 and older do not work properly with any bluetooth phone. Dealers will not upgrade software until you ask them to do it, and they will charge you unless it is a warranty item which means that you have to tell them what is not working properly that needs new software upgrades. If your Idrive is completely stuck there is a CTRL-ALT-DEL sequence to get it going again. For cars with navigation it is the radio power key, cd eject and dvd eject, all at the same time.

hope this helps

Pablo
Old 12-18-2005, 10:51 PM   #50
pablor

Quote:
Originally Posted by petersenca45
I got my 7130e a couple of weeks ago and finally got a number of bugs worked out.

I picked up my 2006 325i today with bluetooth (very happy)! The first time I tried to pair the car with the phone it worked, and even downloaded my phonebook (although it only pulled down the name, type of number (ie moble, office, etc) and the area code. I got a couple of calls on my car on the way back to work and it worked like a charm. I even made calls by dialing through the raido. Then came the evening....

When I got in my car to go home, the phone and the car did not automatically pair. When I hit the phone button in the car, I only got a searching for paired devices message on the car. As for the phone, it indicated that bluetooth was disconnected. From within the phone I tried to connect under the BMW profile, but only got the disconnect message. I erased the profile, set up the pairing again, and got a successful pair. But as soon as I tried to make a call, I got the "searching for paired devices" message on the car, and a disconnected message in the 7130e.

I paired and unpaired 5 or 6 times. Although it always found the phone and said it was a successful pair, as soon as I tried to do anything, I got the searching message again, with the same disconnect message on the phone. I tried "trusted" and with encription on and off. No luck. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Make sure your BB sofware is 4.02 or higher...
Old 12-20-2005, 07:06 PM   #51
petersenca45

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablor
Make sure your BB sofware is 4.02 or higher...
I am running 4.1. It seems that this is a fairly common problem on the 2006 BMWs. Apparently, there is a BMW service bulletin on the issue, but no fix as of two weeks ago. I am still waiting on a response from my dealer.

Here is a good thread on Bimmerfest.com: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=117194
Old 12-20-2005, 11:35 PM   #52
pablor

I still think they need to update your software in your car... I am hearing of no problems on the 8700 on the 5 series...
Old 12-20-2005, 11:44 PM   #53
barjohn

I have the 2006 325i and have been using it with the 8700c without a single problem. It pairs quickly with the car and the address book and voice dialing work very well. I have had no issues with device pairing once properly set up. It will even pair with my device when I leave it in the house and I go into the garage and start up the car. (Distance about 20' through the wall). Sound quality and volume have been excellent.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 12-22-2005, 11:26 PM   #54
gentryma1

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon

I have the 2006 BMW 330i and the 7130e. Works like a champ... except for occassionally the car reboots the phone. I've had Motorola H700 headset reboot the phone too. So I don't blame my BMW. Amazingly the BMW syncs the address book AND the "home", "mobile", "work" tags. My RAZR didn't even do that!

Oh... make sure you don't use dashes in your numbers like "xxx-xxx-xxxx". The BMW interprets them as spaces "xxx xxx xxxx" and therefore they don't match your address book and even though you see the names in the address book the callerid just shows numbers! Discovered this today. Put in your numbers "xxxxxxxxxx"

-Matt
Old 02-10-2006, 11:30 PM   #55
petersenca45

Quote:
Originally Posted by petersenca45
I am running 4.1. It seems that this is a fairly common problem on the 2006 BMWs. Apparently, there is a BMW service bulletin on the issue, but no fix as of two weeks ago. I am still waiting on a response from my dealer.

Here is a good thread on Bimmerfest.com: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=117194
My bluetooth only worked about 25% of the time with my Blackberry 7130e (10/05 production 325i no iDrive). I got my BMW software upgraded to CIP 20.0.2 a week ago, and my phone has connected 100% of the time since.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:44 AM   #56
basket case

Exclamation

I have a 2004 BMW M3 Convertible and have just got the 8700 T-Mobile phone.

I am finding that whilst I can get it to pair and work with the car it would appear to crash the 8700 handset every time after a few minutes.

I had a 7290 and this would work fine with the car.

Does anyone know why this is and does anyone have a solution.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-25-2006, 08:44 PM   #57
pablor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBFun
barjohn-
Trusted was set to Yes. Thanks anyway. I did get it to work for at least a few test calls at one point. Now it is totally screwed up though.
Upgrade the software on the BMW at the dealer with CIP 20 or higher. All your problems will be gone...
Old 03-11-2006, 12:15 PM   #58
prubenstein
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: cingular
Default BT and BMW 330i

I just got my new BMW 330i with BT and the navigation package. I have a 8700 which would not pair at all with my 2003 BMW 330i so I wasn't to optimistic. But, the phone paired immediately and downloaded my address book which I can now access by voice while driving. I have noticed that the phone has rebooted once or twice but only while I was trying to program other parts of the navigation system. So far not a major problem. The hands free voice quality is excellent. All in all I am very pleasantly surprised.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:45 PM   #59
dpm

Model: 8700c

I activated the bluetooth on a 2006 330i, paired fine, placed and received calls. The problem was the address book - only received the first four contacts under each letter. Any ideas? I have an 8700c.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:20 AM   #60
RDA

Model: 7100V

Quote:
Originally Posted by barjohn
Sorry to dissapoint you but handsfree has nothing to do with GPS which is what TomTom GO is.
Certain models of the TomTom Go range support Bluetooth handsfree in addition to being portable GPS devices. This is what the poster is referring to.
Closed Thread