BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 06:57 PM   #1
slowlydrifting
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: .
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default A few questions about the 8320 and wifi.

Please Login to Remove!

Hi guys,

I'm considering purchasing an 8320 and I had a few quick questions.

1) I have a data plan and will keep my data plan even though the Curve has Wifi. If I'm connected via Wifi, I won't receive push email, right? My understanding was that since push email goes through RIMs servers if I'm connected via wifi instead of GPRS/EDGE, email will not be pushed to the phone. Is that correct?

2) Can you use the wifi browser while talking on the phone (if for example you're talking with a bluetooth earpiece)? I know you can't use data and talk on the phone at the same time; I was wondering if this was the case with wifi as well.

3) Aside from turning off the wireless receiver (therefore being unable to receive calls as well) is there any way to ensure that you are in fact using wifi and not data? I understand you have to be careful that you are using the wireless browser and not the other browser. I've read a few conflicting things about people getting charged while using wireless - I wasn't sure if this was due to their error or what (accidentally using the wrong setting/wrong browser, etc.) but I don't want to accidentally incur extra charges. I do have a sufficient data plan so I probably wouldn't use wifi much but it would be nice to use when out of the country or something to avoid data roaming charges.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-09-2008, 08:25 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

1. If you have a BB data plan you will get your email via wifi if the wifi symbol goes bold (it should.)

2. Wifi and bluetooth don't work well together. They are on the same frequencies and conflict with each other. However, theoretically, if you are on the phone you are using EDGE and the browser is still available over wifi.

3. Whenever you are on wifi it should use the wifi browser first, automatically.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:33 PM   #3
slowlydrifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
1. If you have a BB data plan you will get your email via wifi if the wifi symbol goes bold (it should.)

2. Wifi and bluetooth don't work well together. They are on the same frequencies and conflict with each other. However, theoretically, if you are on the phone you are using EDGE and the browser is still available over wifi.

3. Whenever you are on wifi it should use the wifi browser first, automatically.
Thanks! About your answer to the first one...if I were receiving the email via wifi, would it still be using data as well? (coming from my data plan, incurring data roaming charges if out of the country?)
Old 02-09-2008, 08:52 PM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

No, it's uses wifi.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:57 PM   #5
slowlydrifting

Quote:
No, it's uses wifi.
I'm kind of confused about how that works. I thought email goes through RIM, so if you don't have a data plan, you can't use email. You said that if you have a data plan you can access still access email via wifi and that it goes through wifi and does not use any data... how are you able to access email through just wifi if email has to go through RIM? (I'm not contesting what you said, just looking for an explanation if possible so I can understand how it works!)
Old 02-09-2008, 10:59 PM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

It doesn't use data over the EDGE network but it still requires a BB data plan from your carrier to connect to the RIM network over the wifi. Yes, for email you still need a data plan. However, when you connect via wifi, there is no data passing over the cell tower.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:12 PM   #7
slowlydrifting

Quote:
It doesn't use data over the EDGE network but it still requires a BB data plan from your carrier to connect to the RIM network over the wifi. Yes, for email you still need a data plan. However, when you connect via wifi, there is no data passing over the cell tower.
Thank you for clarifying that. Is there any way your provider could charge you for connecting to RIM's network despite connecting via wifi instead of EDGE? (I am with Rogers, if it makes any difference.)

Thanks for all your info. I appreciate it.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:16 PM   #8
John Clark
BBF Moderator

You are being charged....in your monthly plan. I'm sure they could figure out a way to charge you more but, at this point, they're not.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:18 PM   #9
slowlydrifting

Quote:
You are being charged....in your monthly plan. I'm sure they could figure out a way to charge you more but, at this point, they're not.
Oh okay...I just wanted to double check that data used when sending/receiving email via wifi wasn't deducted from the data plan or incurring roaming charges if outside of Canada.

Thanks for all the info/clarification.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:44 PM   #10
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Actually, I'm going to add a disclaimer to this....I'm not sure. If you have the data plan and are using BB data over wifi, it's possible that they could still charge you for the BB data. I haven't heard of this happening yet but I suppose it's possible. I'll let someone else who knows more about Rogers correct me.
Closed Thread