BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 12:04 AM   #1
Nick P
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100i
Arrow Keeping Bluetooth "On" at all times?

Please Login to Remove!

Quick question - are there any disadvantages to keeping the Bluetooth on at all times? I just got a Moto H500 and find it pretty convinient to just turn the headset on and always have my 7100i connected and ready. Does this drain the battery faster? Is this what you usually do? Apologies if this is a dumb question, this is my first Bluetooth phone (let alone Blackberry).
Old 11-04-2005, 12:23 AM   #2
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

It will drain the battery somewhat faster, but some people like to leave the Bluetooth turned on at all times.

Battery usage is the chief disadvantage.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 11-04-2005, 12:43 AM   #3
Nick P
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100i

Thanks Mark
Old 11-04-2005, 07:30 AM   #4
HDClown
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

I have a 7100i, which has no extended battery yet. I have Bluetooth on for 9-10 straight a day at the office. I use it to BT wireless connection to the desktop so e-mail redirection is enabled while I am at/around my desk, and that's a minimum of 8 hours almost every day.

I use the phone features and Nextel PTT very lightly on most days, say 1 hour total. I'm typically using the speakerphone with PTT, which eats more battery.

After about 9 hours, my battery is down to 55-65%, depending on how many times I actually walk away from my desk and loose BT cradling. Every time I leave that zone, and come back, it goes through a Desktop connection which obviously consumes more power then just the BT idling.

I've had no problem going a 16-17 hr with the phone dying on me, but I have not had a situation where I've been in HEAVY phone/PTT usage yet. I will buy the extended battery whenever it becomes available anyway.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:36 AM   #5
dcfroe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700C
Carrier: Cingular

I bought the larger batterry because I need the bluetooth on all day. I am a sales rep and am on the road all day so I use my 850 headset all day. My only complaint is that sometimes my headset battery goes dead too quick when it's a busy day on the phone.

As far as the BB with bluetooth on all day though it works fine and the extended battery lasts all day. ( my day is usually about 12 hours long and I use about 3,000 minutes phone usage per month + email , calender usage ect) to give you an idea

PIN 23D1AEE7

Even people that feed the world use Blackberries.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:37 AM   #6
joginder
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Passp
Carrier: ATT

I keep my BT on all day and I use phone for about 4000 mins a month but I always keep my BT OFF in the night so that my BB does not get a neck pain from 24/7 BT havoc
Old 11-05-2005, 10:22 AM   #7
HDClown
Thumbs Must Hurt

I figured I'd update that when I leave my office for extended periods of time, I disable BT. I'm not using a headset, so there is no need to keep it on if I'm not using it for BT sync to the desktop manager. It helps save the battery.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:29 PM   #8
krad
No longer Registered.

Model: 0000

i got a 7100t .... i got my bluetooth always enabled. Once i turn on my headset it automatically connects to my bb and beings to work in under a second. I love it.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:24 PM   #9
HDClown
Thumbs Must Hurt

I've actually used my 7100i phone portion more then usual the past few days. Maybe 1 hours worth of total talk time. My DC take is the same, 1 hour or less. BT enabled for 9 hours a day. After 9 hours, I've seen battery level at 35%, again on the regular battery.
Closed Thread