Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
Mignonne

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default I can't figure out WiFi

Please Login to Remove!

Help, please. I have owned my BB8320 for a few months now, and continue to have problems understanding and setting up a wifi connection.

I have read the manual as well as consulted online info to figure it out but I can't.

Here is my problem, I am travelling internationally in a few weeks and want to be able to (1) use my phone to make calls, and (2) connect to a public wifi in order to use the browser. I do not wish to receive emails from work, nor will I use any other applications on my BB during this time.

I have been trying to figure out wifi using my home router as well as in a public wifi area.

From the home screen, I selected Options --> Mobile Network --> Data Services = "Off" and Connection Preference = "Wifi Preferred"

I then connect to the public wifi, but under Manage Connections, it shows my Mobile Network (AT&T) with a green circle with the check mark, so I know that it is active. However, under Wifi - it indicates "on" but there is a yellow circle with a dash through it, and on the home screen the Wifi symbol is grayed out.

I am anxious to figure this out as I do not wish to incur data charges from Europe. I just want to make calls and use the browser at a public wifi spot.

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks so much!
Old 06-10-2008, 12:36 PM   #2
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Wirelessly posted (8120 4.5.037)

The problem is you are using AT&T which does not support UMA. The only US carrier is T-Mobile.Also a T-Mobile 8320 will never work on another carriers UMA network even if unlocked.However you will be able to use data.

Last edited by TroyDBrown; 06-10-2008 at 12:40 PM..
Old 06-10-2008, 12:39 PM   #3
Mignonne

Quote:
Originally Posted by troydbrown View Post

The problem is you are using AT&T which does not support UMA. The only US carrier is T-Mobile.
I don't want to use UMA - I will use the Vodafone carrier while in Europe in order to make calls. I just would like to be able to use WiFi in order to use the browser.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:43 PM   #4
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Turn Your mobile network to WiFi only and see if you can browse and let us know.

Last edited by TroyDBrown; 06-10-2008 at 12:46 PM..
Old 06-10-2008, 12:55 PM   #5
Mignonne

When I turn the Mobile Network to WiFi Only, it turns off the phone service. Seems if I keep it on "WiFi preferred" I can then use the cell phone service, along with the Wifi for the browser -- problem is, it says I am connected to WiFi, but that it is not active (yellow circle instead of green).

Thanks -- I really appreciate your help.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:35 PM   #6
myk.dinis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T - 8120/8310, Sprint - 8830

Wirelessly posted (Sex Machine)

You can't use your wifi on AT&T without data service on the network. There are some apps that can circumvent this. But there aren't any browsers that will. The only app that I know for certain works without data services is JiveTalk. I just hope that posting this doesn't ruin that "feature".
You need to know how to add a wifi device to your network in order to use it. Depending on your security set-up you may have to add the phones MAC address to your routers MAC filter. You may also have to enter the passphrase or WEP key. Have you done a "scan for networks"? Does it show your router? If not do you have SSID broadcast set to off on the router? There are a ton of variables. Unless you can connect to your own network properly you'll never know. Try looking at the settings on another wieless device you own that connects.
But you have to remember that without the data portion of your mobile network being accessible you won't be able to use the wifi.
It's a tricky little hook they have to make sure you pay full price.

Sorry for the bad news,
Myk
Old 06-10-2008, 01:59 PM   #7
blackcivic
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: fido

if you are trying to connect with wifi and still be able to use your 8320 as a phone then have your connection preference set to mobile network preferred. When you connect to wifi as long as you can scan for wireless networks and connect to them, it doesn't matter if the status shows up with a yellow circle. You will know if you can connect to them when it asks if you want to save the AP(access point) to your list, and it will tell you at the top if you have successfully connected to the AP
Old 06-12-2008, 01:54 PM   #8
myk.dinis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T - 8120/8310, Sprint - 8830

Wirelessly posted (Sex Machine)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcivic
if you are trying to connect with wifi and still be able to use your 8320 as a phone then have your connection preference set to mobile network preferred. When you connect to wifi as long as you can scan for wireless networks and connect to them, it doesn't matter if the status shows up with a yellow circle. You will know if you can connect to them when it asks if you want to save the AP(access point) to your list, and it will tell you at the top if you have successfully connected to the AP
To the original poster:
If you're using AT&T you can't make wifi phone calls. Thus invalidating the quoted text.
Closed Thread