Old 12-16-2007, 04:11 PM   #1
bbylon

Model: NA
PIN: N/A
Carrier: NA
Default Should I get a BB?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,
I'm new here. Looks like a magnificant & respectable forum here. Comtemplating on either a treo or BB. Can anyone give opinions on what I'm missing out on a BB? Pardon my long mail but that's what I've gather so far.

Basically I need a reliable and fast communication device (hp) with an information database (memos and long notes I've compiled) and if possible a to-do-task software (I still use paper for my to-do-task and hope some software can really work to eliminate my effective but primitive paper tasking). Thus I have a nokia phone, a palm PDA for memo and a paper with my task on it. Troublesome and stupid, right? Thus can a BB fills the shoe effectively? I've read great praises here for BB as a email and business device, so I thought its PIM should be good. I went to tried a pearl demo set at a store but to my dismay, it work only as a basic hp with functions and interface that's way behind nokia and even palm (no offence here, just my impression). The BB memo falls short of the palm's memo. ie, I can't rearrange the notes and it doesn't have a touch screen which is useful when doing major rearrangement of the notes. The font doesn't look good also. The alarm is too simple, even symbian phone has more options.

Ok, so why am I still considering a BB?

1) Window mobile is too troublesome as a hp and the standard version's memo is too basic. I hate using two hands to do just a simple sms. I need a mobile device and not a mini pc.
2) Nokia (symbian) works well as a hp but not good as a PIM, and 3rd party PIM doesn't look good also. Seems like their 3rd party is more on multimedia.
3) Treo might do the trick but have problem with 3rd party software, I dislike numerous troubleshooting on a device that is suppose to assist me and not turn me into a technical expert. I've tried installing 3rd party on my PDA and experience problems, thus I prefer a soild useable hp out of the box. Also, I haven't found a memo/ task software I prefer (I'm not a calender organising person so those many a calander based PIM is not suitable for me).
Its default memo has only limited categories (15) and doesn't have folders to organise the notes. As my notes gets more, it become ineffecitve as I can't find them and forgot they exist somewhere. Also, I don't prefer too many 3rd partys coz it makes the device unstable. And many 3rd party memo and to-do-task are not effective at all. Nevertheless, palm still has its strength to keep me considering. It can view & edit MS documents without buying 3rd party software. Its user interface is quick and easy to use. Its default PIM is at least better than BB.

4) As for BB, I've heard abt its stability and ease of use as a hp. Also I've read of this ideamatrix and todomatrix software which works for BB only and it sounds like what I wanted. But read that it doesn't sync to your desktop, which mean I don't get a backup of my own notes in my PC?? And it also need yearly subscription to keep the data in its internet database? Finally, its font looks big and take up too much screen space to be legable . I prefer smaller font, like that on a symbian or WM.

By the way, I don't need email, so is BB applicable to my needs? Anything I'm missing from the world of blackberry?

Tks
Old 12-16-2007, 04:17 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Welcome to BB Forums.

In my opinion, the BBs greatest strength is the eMail. There are not many third party applications (although you have found some). You CAN back up the BlackBerry, either using the standalone backup/restore utility, or by backing up (and syncing) to Outlook. Outlook will keep track of any PIM information. To do list is average, but is synced with Outlook or a few other PIMs.

I'm not sure the BB is the right device for you.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:33 AM   #3
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Welcome to the group, bbylon.

Ditto NJBlackBerry above. Sounds to me like the blackberry doesn't meet your needs, but if you buy from a store/dealer that gives something like a 14-day-no-questions-asked return, why not give it a try?
Old 12-17-2007, 08:54 AM   #4
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Welcome to the Forums
Old 12-17-2007, 09:51 AM   #5
bbylon

Model: NA
PIN: N/A
Carrier: NA

I'm puzzled. So BB is just good at email? Anyway, does anyone know any phone that is good at PIM or it doesn't exist? Been searching high & low.

Tks
Old 12-17-2007, 10:33 AM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbylon
I'm puzzled. So BB is just good at email? Anyway, does anyone know any phone that is good at PIM or it doesn't exist? Been searching high & low.

Tks
The heart of the blackberry is instant email anywhere, anytime you are within cell coverage or when you return to cell coverage. The native PIM applications are simple, and too simple for some tastes; but, for me, I see simple and compact as a plus. It's a matter of personal preference. If you want a PIM application that has many customizable features, the native PIM functions on the blackberry won't please you, but perhaps an aftermarket app might. Bottom line, the blackberry PIM applications are short on looks, but they work, they sync with Outlook, and I've never lost any data.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:02 PM   #7
mark0341
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
PIN: E Tree's

Hell Yeah! You should have a BlackBerry.
BTW welcome.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:52 PM   #8
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20878533
Carrier: ATT

The PIM is rudimentary, but functional. The speed and reliability of the over the air synchronization (actually for email its push, then reconcile) is really second to none in a corporate environment. The reliability of the Handheld itself as well as RIM's infrastructure is also world class.

You'll need to play with a handheld. The good news in that since 2004 (with the Color screens and Java-based O/Ss) there have been an explosion of Third Party Applications for the BlackBerry. There's a good chance that with the purchase of a tasks application (at minimal cost, under $100) you may be able to accomplish what you want.

Our tasks program at work is done via a custom application on the Domino server (meaning I couldn't get access to it without a notebook computer) so tasks on the handheld are a nonstarter for me. It's a custom help desk ticketing system, and it's reasonably nice (nicer than any tasks app I've seen).
Old 12-24-2007, 10:13 AM   #9
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9850
PIN: URADUMAS

I use todoMatrix and ideaMatrix by RexWireless (www.rexwireless.com). They are pricey, but I think others will agree that they are pretty good. TodoMatrix stores your tasks and allows them to be stored in folders (to a certain extent and level), and IdeaMatrix acts the same but lets you store large notes,emails, etc,. Good luck!
Closed Thread