Old 07-02-2008, 06:29 AM   #121
sroetter
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
well have fun with that device and switching carriers to use it as far as Q3, i am still going to just unlock a Rogers one when it comes out 2 weeks after the iPhone
I have a few questions about buying a Rogers Bold and unlocking. A couple of years ago I purchased a Tmobile Pearl and had it unlocked by one of the services promoted on the board. It worked very well. If I decide to buy a Bold:

- Do I order one off the Rogers website?
- Do we have an idea what the no contract price will be from Rogers?
- Do we expect services to be able to provide unlock codes over the internet immediately?
- Will activating the Bold on ATT be an issue?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:25 AM   #122
jimpilot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Good questions, I was going to ask the same questions.

And add one more if anyone knows, will there be a customs issue having it sent to US?
Old 07-02-2008, 08:47 AM   #123
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroetter View Post
I have a few questions about buying a Rogers Bold and unlocking. A couple of years ago I purchased a Tmobile Pearl and had it unlocked by one of the services promoted on the board. It worked very well. If I decide to buy a Bold:

- Do I order one off the Rogers website?
- Do we have an idea what the no contract price will be from Rogers?
- Do we expect services to be able to provide unlock codes over the internet immediately?
- Will activating the Bold on ATT be an issue?

Thanks in advance.
1. If they take non-customer retail orders on the website, yes. Make sure they will ship to the US.
2. Not offhand
3. Yes, see HorizonWirelessOnline.com - Horizon Wireless, Canada’s Cellular Repair Center ß, and ask that question ahead of time.
4. AT&T won't care.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:53 AM   #124
btaylor1
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Q10
Carrier: at&t

going back to iphone comparison, i saw this today re at&t version

washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines

AND THIS TOO:

Interview: Jeff Bradley, SVP, AT&T: Enterprise Not An iPhone-BlackBerry War - washingtonpost.com

still waiting for att 9000 bold myself

Last edited by btaylor1; 07-02-2008 at 09:00 AM..
Old 07-02-2008, 09:16 AM   #125
PPCMD
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T

RIM says August, one would think AT&T cannot live on Apples alone so they will certainly need some Canadian Bacon to have a well rounded product portfolio. Combine that with Rogers having theirs ready two weeks after the other phone and that AT&T says its a battery issue that two other carriers do not have. Its clear, so AT&T get off your butt and move it alredy.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:08 AM   #126
Fuelie Nova
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100

I still keep going back and forth on whether go get rid of my pearl and go to iphone. I am impatient and don't want to wait for the bold
I have been thinking about picking up the iphone this weekend assuming that ATT will still carry this under the 30 satisfaction deal. If I don't care for the iphone return it towards the end of 30 day and wait on the bold. Maybe this would take care of me for awhile.
Tg
Old 07-02-2008, 11:24 AM   #127
djransom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelie Nova View Post
I still keep going back and forth on whether go get rid of my pearl and go to iphone. I am impatient and don't want to wait for the bold
I have been thinking about picking up the iphone this weekend assuming that ATT will still carry this under the 30 satisfaction deal. If I don't care for the iphone return it towards the end of 30 day and wait on the bold. Maybe this would take care of me for awhile.
Tg
I would ONLY do it if you don't NEED copy & paste, MMS, and text forwarding otherwise make the move and if you don't like it then return. Those are a few of the reasons I came back to the Curve.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:09 PM   #128
Pink2
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have heard almost all BB users that try the iPhone always go back to the BB or keep both, not just use the iPhone. Maybe that'll change with the new one, but I doubt it.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:14 PM   #129
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 20FA40E8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink2 View Post
I have heard almost all BB users that try the iPhone always go back to the BB or keep both, not just use the iPhone. Maybe that'll change with the new one, but I doubt it.
My iPhone is now just for web browsing and other entertainment because BlackBerry SUCKS at those things. I use my BB as my main driver because I need to be able to get email and do things like IM and other daily tasks. Now that iPhone 3G will have exchange email, and will have TONS of 3rd party apps, there is no reason why it won't be my daily device.

I WAS going to wait to get my Bold first, then iPhone 3G. But since it was pushed back I say screw it and I'm just getting my iPhone 3G first. I have a strong feeling I won't be coming back to BlackBerry after that.

The school district my friend works at is issuing iPhones because the 2.0 firmware update will have exchange support. I have 4 friends who are switching to iPhone 3G and dumping their BB just because they are medical students and there are already medical apps for it announced as well as an excellent app for looking up information of prescription medication and complications. Epocrates will be available at launch and have more features than its windows mobile counterpart. And there is Netters Anatomy which is a high quality software for medical education. Both surpass anything found on BB, and looking at the quality of those apps ... something BB will never have, at least in the same quality.

http://www.facebook.com/numetheus

Last edited by numetheus; 07-03-2008 at 02:31 PM..
Old 07-03-2008, 02:31 PM   #130
Dawgfan

Carrier: Cingular

...bet the release date is much later than sooner.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:37 PM   #131
Fuelie Nova
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100

Well I definetly don't want to turn this into an iphone thread since this is a BB site but... it looks like to use the exchange you need to have the enterprise data plan? (no problem) Another reason I am also considering it is because of the mobile me option. I like the idea on my desktop and phone staying schronized without me hooking up, especially the contact and calendar.
I have a gut feeling I will really miss the cut/copy/paste but I am not sure it is a deal killer. I will also miss the trackball navigation. Well see, I will probably pick one up this weekend and try.
Tg
Old 07-03-2008, 02:37 PM   #132
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgfan View Post
...bet the release date is much later than sooner.
For the Bold? If the currently announced 3rd party software list is any indication of what is to come, iPhone 3G software economy will kill the BB one. Even the initial apps look much higher quality than anything ever produced for BB due to the SDK. I'm no medical student like my friends, but Epocrates and Netters Anatomy? OMG! Just those two apps alone is a big reason to dump BlackBerry and get an iPhone for someone in that field.

I sure wish the Bold came out sooner. But I won't wait a month or two just because RIM screwed up and pushed up the release date.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:39 PM   #133
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelie Nova View Post
Well I definetly don't want to turn this into an iphone thread since this is a BB site but... it looks like to use the exchange you need to have the enterprise data plan? (no problem) Another reason I am also considering it is because of the mobile me option. I like the idea on my desktop and phone staying schronized without me hooking up, especially the contact and calendar.
I have a gut feeling I will really miss the cut/copy/paste but I am not sure it is a deal killer. I will also miss the trackball navigation. Well see, I will probably pick one up this weekend and try.
Tg
Yeah ... but cut/copy/paste is such a TINY compromise compared to what it can do above and beyond Bold. And the more I get news on the 3rd party app offering, the easier it is for me to say screw BB. No offense to people that love it ... but now I am on the fence.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:45 PM   #134
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

And speaking of Bold .... what are the current estimates for its release to AT&T in the US?

Old 07-03-2008, 03:03 PM   #135
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Model: 8900
Carrier: None

mid august to late august, if not early septmeber
Old 07-03-2008, 03:28 PM   #136
torberry

Model: 9780
Carrier: Pigeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by numetheus View Post
My iPhone is now just for web browsing and other entertainment because BlackBerry SUCKS at those things. I use my BB as my main driver because I need to be able to get email and do things like IM and other daily tasks. Now that iPhone 3G will have exchange email, and will have TONS of 3rd party apps, there is no reason why it won't be my daily device.

I WAS going to wait to get my Bold first, then iPhone 3G. But since it was pushed back I say screw it and I'm just getting my iPhone 3G first. I have a strong feeling I won't be coming back to BlackBerry after that.

The school district my friend works at is issuing iPhones because the 2.0 firmware update will have exchange support. I have 4 friends who are switching to iPhone 3G and dumping their BB just because they are medical students and there are already medical apps for it announced as well as an excellent app for looking up information of prescription medication and complications. Epocrates will be available at launch and have more features than its windows mobile counterpart. And there is Netters Anatomy which is a high quality software for medical education. Both surpass anything found on BB, and looking at the quality of those apps ... something BB will never have, at least in the same quality.
I don't get why ppl rag on the bb's browser. For a mobile screen it's relatively practical. I found the iPhone browser to be very buggy but I did have the earliest version of the device before I dumped it.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:47 PM   #137
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by torberry View Post
I don't get why ppl rag on the bb's browser. For a mobile screen it's relatively practical. I found the iPhone browser to be very buggy but I did have the earliest version of the device before I dumped it.
Because the BB is only good for tiny web browsing. Pocket Safari is best for web surfing because the web pages look identical to what you get on the desktop, there is a big screen, multi-touch makes browsing natural and comfortable, and the way double tap works is amazing. On Pocket Safari I have been able to plop on the couch at work and surf laying down for a good hour, and surf comfortably laying down.

The BB browser doesn't render very well and is slow. And when you have a complex page that requires scripts it is very slow to load. On very complex pages with lots of scripts the BB browser drags to an extreme crawl and just about freezes. Even if you do browse tiny web pages, the experience is not comfortable because of how you have to navigate using the ball on a tiny screen.

My iPhone browser does crash from time to time, but in the time I was able to only go to 2 complex web pages on the BB browser, I have already comfortably read several more before it eventually crashes. At work when I have an hour to kill, web surfing was slow and painful on the BB. DEFINITELY was not able to go to near the same number of pages as I do now on my iPhone.

I still love my BB though because it is hands down a far better tool for email and web chatting.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:23 PM   #138
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

I think that the new Bold browser, with more memory, faster processor and 3G will make most of the Blackberry users very happy. It may not be as good as what the iPhone2 is "surposed" to be but all that remains to be seen until they are both released. I am not buying the Bold for it's internet abilities and browser but on occasion it will be a nice addition.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:38 PM   #139
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt
I think that the new Bold browser, with more memory, faster processor and 3G will make most of the Blackberry users very happy. It may not be as good as what the iPhone2 is "surposed" to be but all that remains to be seen until they are both released. I am not buying the Bold for it's internet abilities and browser but on occasion it will be a nice addition.
The Bold will be a great unit, with a supposedly enhanced browser. I can't wait to see it in action.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:40 AM   #140
Blackberryer

Model: 8830

I strongly doubt any browser will be able to compete with Safari just yet. However, I'm not all that worried about the Bold's new browser because if it's not that great, I'll just use Opera Mini, which is fantastic. Opera Mini + 3G will certainly make me miss Safari that much less.
Closed Thread