Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 07:42 AM   #1
martin_j001
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: none
Carrier: Nokia e71 on ATT
Default BB not recognized

Please Login to Remove!

I've done a good bit of searching and can't seem to find out how to resolve this issue.

Desktop Manager 4.2.2
BB8310 os 4.2.2.170

I got a new laptop running Vista. I downloaded DM4.5, and the pc won't recognize the bb, nor will DM. I did a clean uninstall and tried it again, same thing. Clean uninstalled again. I then downloaded DM4.2.2. Now the bb will charge, but it still isn't recognized by the laptop or DM. I did a clean uninstall of DM4.2.2 and reinstalled it again. Same thing.

Any advice/suggestions? Something I'm missing here? Thanks all.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:14 AM   #2
holden
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: TOFJAGER
Carrier: Cingular-AT&T-Verizon-Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_j001 View Post
I've done a good bit of searching and can't seem to find out how to resolve this issue.

Desktop Manager 4.2.2
BB8310 os 4.2.2.170

I got a new laptop running Vista. I downloaded DM4.5, and the pc won't recognize the bb, nor will DM. I did a clean uninstall and tried it again, same thing. Clean uninstalled again. I then downloaded DM4.2.2. Now the bb will charge, but it still isn't recognized by the laptop or DM. I did a clean uninstall of DM4.2.2 and reinstalled it again. Same thing.

Any advice/suggestions? Something I'm missing here? Thanks all.
Looking at the threads here, it would seem there is something going on with the way Vista installs the DM. On this forum and other bb forums there are issues such as yours where the desktop will not acknowledge the existence of the BB Handheld. I don't have an answer but am looking also since your not the only person here with this issue.

If you have Admin rights the application should install fine and work but it does not. If you install on an XP desktop, and plug your phone in, chances are it will see your phone.

I don't have a solution and am hoping someone else can chime in to shed some light on this that is running Vista and 4.6DM. (I don't have one computer in the entire house that has Vista)

H.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:56 AM   #3
martin_j001

I've been given some info that I'm going to try out and see if that works (probably tonight). If it does work, I will certainly pass all the info on so that others who have the same problem can get it sorted out....
Old 09-30-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
holden

Hi...

Thanks and if you can post your fix that would be great.

We are still on XP at work (14k desktops / laptops) and don't plan to move to Vista soon. What is happening more and more is our office users are purchasing home computers and you can only get Vista now in most stores. Between BB DM and our VPN software we have been seeing install issues and are getting more and more requests to support these (vista) issues on the home machines.

H.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:00 PM   #5
martin_j001

Alright, so far what I've tried has not worked for me.

I installed a program called "Take Ownership". It makes a few registry edits that basically give the user of the Vista machine administrator rights over a folder if they choose to have it (expressly for the purpose of installing programs that require you to be the administrator of the machine). Once I installed the program, I right clicked on both the Downloads folder and the Program Files folder on my machine, and chose "Take Ownership" from the drop down list. I then ran the installation file for DM4.5. Once installed, I rebooted. Plugged bb and still get the same thing. :( BB is charging, but is still considered an "unknown usb device".
Old 09-30-2008, 05:52 PM   #6
holden

Quote:

I installed a program called "Take Ownership". It makes a few registry edits that basically give the user of the Vista machine administrator rights over a folder if they choose to have it (expressly for the purpose of installing programs that require you to be the administrator of the machine). Once I installed the program, I right clicked on both the Downloads folder and the Program Files folder on my machine, and chose "Take Ownership" from the drop down list. I then ran the installation file for DM4.5. Once installed, I rebooted. Plugged bb and still get the same thing. :( BB is charging, but is still considered an "unknown usb device".
Doesn't Vista have compatability mode where you right click on the .exe and set the compatability in the property sheet...? I was wondering if this would make a difference?

H.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:43 AM   #7
martin_j001

I'm very new to Vista myself, and I've heard mention of that before but never really looked into it. I'll have to look around and see if I can find anything like that tonight....
Old 10-01-2008, 06:58 AM   #8
holden

Quote:

Did you install the appropriate handheld software for your device?
You install the Desktop Manager and then install the correct handheld software. Was this done?
Thx...

H.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:31 PM   #9
martin_j001

I have the latest release of the OS on the bb itself (same as has been on there for months now, and synced fine last I used it with a Windows XP machine). Desktop Manager I'm attempting to use is 4.5. Tonight, I'll probably attempt 4.2.2 once again, now that I've made the changes above with the Take Ownership program.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:13 AM   #10
martin_j001

Attempt with 4.2.2 turned out the same once again. I'm going to try 4.3 tonight and see if that is any different.

The more I work at this, the more it seems to be a Vista issue and not a Desktop Manager issue. When I plug the bb in it will charge, which leads me to think that the drivers are in fact there. But, the pc doesn't want to recognize the bb as a bb at all, it continually shows up as "unknown usb device" only. I've started looking into issues regarding Vista recognizing USB devices, and will be giving some of those tips/tricks a shot as well.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:10 PM   #11
martin_j001

Alright, I've tried damn near everything I could find and think of trying to get this to work. Then, I looked at the mini-usb port on my bb and noticed that I might be missing one of the five pins. DOH!

So, I set up bluetooth to work, and got the bb backed up using bt and DM4.3. I have Office 2000 Installed on the laptop, but I don't get that as an option to set up synchronization with when I try to configure the sync settings. Going to pic up Office 2007 tomorrow and hope that I get that option back.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:17 PM   #12
holden

Quote:
Alright, I've tried damn near everything I could find and think of trying to get this to work. Then, I looked at the mini-usb port on my bb and noticed that I might be missing one of the five pins. DOH!

So, I set up bluetooth to work, and got the bb backed up using bt and DM4.3. I have Office 2000 Installed on the laptop, but I don't get that as an option to set up synchronization with when I try to configure the sync settings. Going to pic up Office 2007 tomorrow and hope that I get that option back.
Possible light at the end of a long tunnel...

You can get the port repaired at Horizon or BBrepairshop Houston...
(or maybe your handy and can repair it yourself???)
Old 10-03-2008, 07:45 AM   #13
martin_j001

Thanks Holden, I may have to check into that. I'm planning on selling the 8310 when the Bold comes out (or should I say if, lol), so it would be good to have it fully functional.

PS, I did also look into the "compatibility modes" in Vista. I tried running both DM4.2.2 and DM4.3 in Windows XP compatibility with no good results (again, very possibly due to the port on the bb and not software at all, lol).
Old 10-03-2008, 08:47 AM   #14
holden

Quote:
Thanks Holden, I may have to check into that. I'm planning on selling the 8310 when the Bold comes out (or should I say if, lol), so it would be good to have it fully functional.

PS, I did also look into the "compatibility modes" in Vista. I tried running both DM4.2.2 and DM4.3 in Windows XP compatibility with no good results (again, very possibly due to the port on the bb and not software at all, lol).
I would sure like to figure out this mousetrap and get Vista working with DM. There are so many issues it seems on the forums with Vista!

What is curious is that some have it working and the next person has issues. I have no Vista computers in the entire house and at work, we have only two test units. I may be purchasing a new laptop for my wife soon and the only windows out there on a newer laptop now is Vista. Should be interesting...

As for your comment on the Bold, were all there with you brother...

H.

Last edited by holden; 10-03-2008 at 06:25 PM..
Old 10-03-2008, 04:49 PM   #15
martin_j001

Well, I've got synchronization! Got Office 2007 loaded up today and everything worked just fine syncing via bluetooth. Disaster has been averted.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:26 PM   #16
holden

Quote:
Well, I've got synchronization! Got Office 2007 loaded up today and everything worked just fine syncing via bluetooth. Disaster has been averted.
Woot!
Old 10-03-2008, 06:29 PM   #17
holden

Quote:
I have never done BT on any of this. Breakage pushes all the limits... !!
I may have to just visit this and try it at work just to see what all the issues are.

Glad you got everything working...

H.
Closed Thread