Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 09:01 AM   #1
Walt
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint
Default 7100i GPS brief observations

Please Login to Remove!

I like the idea of having GPS on my cell phone. There are several programs available for the BlackBerry so I decided to try a few out. Here's a brief rundown on what I discovered. These are by no means full reviews. They are just my own personal observations.

TeleNav - Offered by Nextel - $9.99 per month - 30 day free trial
This program does not show a moving map but does a nice job of giving directions with large arrows and names of streets. TeleNav works nicely with the BB address book and has millions of POI's. You can even search for the cheapest gas station near you. The voice quality was really bad and I never could really understand what it was saying unless I turned the volume down and put the BB to my ear. The backlight would go off but come back on as you got near a change in your route.

MapQuest Navigator - Seperate download from MapQuest - 9.99 per month - 30 day free trial
I liked this program alot. Unlike TeleNav it shows a moving map plus turn arrows, direction and speed. Navigator downloads the entire trip to your BB so re-routing is fast. Intergration with the BB isn't as straight forward as with TeleNav however the voice quality was much better. I could leave the BB in a dashboard holder and still understand the voice prompts. Selecting locations and addresses required several clicks of the track wheel which I felt was bothersome. There's a screen similar to a Gamin I used to have that shows the latitude and longitude, speed and altitude. This could possible work good for GeoCaching. The backlight seemed to stay on the entire trip.

BB Maps - RIM mapping program - FREE
This program does not give voice directions. You can put in where you want to go and based on your location it puts driving directions at the bottom of the screen. It does have a moving map on the screen all the time which always shows your position. You can zoom in and out, however, when I zoomed in, it didn't save that zoom level. It goes right back to where it was. Another thing I couldn't figure out was the backlight was always going off even with the BB pluged into the car charger. There were some backlight settings in the options but didn't make any difference.

There are a few more that are supposed to work with the 7100i but either I couldn't get them to work or in the case of Wayfinder, is for Europe. Garmin should be coming out with it's version for the BlackBerry soon.

All in all, the MapQuest Navigator was my favorite once you were underway on the trip. It required more work to get it ready to navigate but was worth it.

Walt
Old 12-29-2006, 10:21 AM   #2
MrKyoo
BlackBerry Master

Model: 4s
PIN: 79B32491
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
MapQuest Mobile typically costs $3.99 per month and is available on most cell phone carriers.
~MrKyoo
Old 12-29-2006, 03:27 PM   #3
Walt

I think there is a difference between MapQuest Mobile and MapQuest Navigator. There are three products.

MapQuest Mobile

MapQuest Navigator

MapQuest Find Me

Here's the link:

MapQuest: Mobile Maps
Old 12-29-2006, 05:03 PM   #4
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I use blackberry maps and it works great with the bb light app my light stays on
Old 12-29-2006, 07:06 PM   #5
oldpirate
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Sprint-Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt

TeleNav - Offered by Nextel - $9.99 per month - 30 day free trial
This program does not show a moving map but does a nice job of giving directions with large arrows and names of streets. TeleNav works nicely with the BB address book and has millions of POI's. You can even search for the cheapest gas station near you. The voice quality was really bad and I never could really understand what it was saying unless I turned the volume down and put the BB to my ear. The backlight would go off but come back on as you got near a change in your route.
FYI: The backlight may be set to stay on all the time, or to only come on at turns. Probably a battery saving function.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:29 AM   #6
MrKyoo
BlackBerry Master

Model: 4s
PIN: 79B32491
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt
I think there is a difference between MapQuest Mobile and MapQuest Navigator. There are three products.

MapQuest Mobile

MapQuest Navigator

MapQuest Find Me

Here's the link:

MapQuest: Mobile Maps
I believe youxxx8217;re right. Mapquest Mobile is for non-BlackBerry devices.

Thanks for the review.

~MrKyoo
Old 12-30-2006, 04:58 PM   #7
Walt

I thought I would add this comment. I stated that I liked MapQuest Navigator better than TeleNav but yesterday it started acting strange. It would stop navigation for no reason. I went back to using TeleNav and I'm having no problems with it. I wish Nextel would offer the newer TeleNav on the BB like they do on the Sprint phones. The TeleNav for the BB is version 4.0 but they are up to 5.0 on the regular phones. The newer TeleNav has 3D navigating which is pretty cool. It's similar to the Tom Tom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKyoo
I believe you’re right. Mapquest Mobile is for non-BlackBerry devices.

Thanks for the review.

~MrKyoo
Old 01-03-2007, 09:45 AM   #8
Wirelezz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: Just Ask
Carrier: Rogers
Default BBmaps

I used BBmaps for a couple times while driving.
Man does that program work Nice. Great program with the internal GPS on in the 7100I.
Works like a gps in a car.
Closed Thread