BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 08:25 PM   #1
77rramos

Model: 9500
Carrier: Verizon
Default 8700c Bluetooth Drops during Call

Please Login to Remove!

Recently my 8700 has been dropping its bluetooth connection during calls. I've tried this on two different headsets: My BMW is equipped with BT and it drops and I tried on my plantronics voyager as well...it drops after 5-10 seconds of establishing a call. Anyone else have this problem? If so, is there a fix?
Old 06-06-2006, 11:05 PM   #2
RTAD

Model: 7100T
Carrier: T-Mobile

My boss has an 8700G and is having similar issues. He took his first 8700 back after a week because it was doing the same thing you describe. He got another brand new unit and it worked for about a week. Now it is dropping each call at 7 seconds (a HS300, 2 HS820's and the built in his acura). After 5 hours on the phone with RIM (and wiping the handheld) he was told the phone and all the headsets would have to be replaced. Has anyone found a fix for this?
Old 06-07-2006, 11:12 PM   #3
ccdatl

Model: 8700c
Default same problem

8700c disconnects from any bt device after just a few seconds. nobody seems to have an answer. any help is appriciated.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:45 PM   #4
brentmid
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Yep - same here. I get about 5-7 seconds where I can hear and speak thru my Plantronics headset and then it gets dropped. The call is still there and I can select the "activate headset" command and it comes back on but only for another few seconds.

Seems like the BT connection is still there and active (the BT icon w/ the two arrows stays) - it just deactivates the headset.

Any solutions yet?
Old 06-28-2006, 09:10 PM   #5
brentmid

Unhappy

Well, it's not the headset. I tried another one. Both my M3000 and my HS820 exhibit the same symptoms.

The call works fine for about 7 seconds then the headset deactivates and it goes back to the BB handset.

I have no idea why, but I really don't want to go back to using wired headsets. Things were working fine since March - I'm not sure what changed...

Please help...
Old 06-29-2006, 05:46 AM   #6
muscovs

Model: 7800c
Smile bluetooth loseing connection

hello everyone. I am new at this so please forgive me if I do it wrong. I just got a cingular 8700c blackberry that keeps loseing connection. I have a 2005 lincoln towncar that came with mobile-ease in the car. the bb would connect for about 2 minutes and then disconnect-then reconnect about 1 minute later. It keeps connecting and disconnecting. My last bb worked great with it. I also have a i870 phone that works with it. I had the software removed and reinstalled in my 8700c with no luck. Any ideas what should be done next or is this a problem something that motorola has to make a new program to allow it to work with my mobile-ease.
thank you
sherman
Old 07-12-2006, 02:53 PM   #7
peekaboo

Model: 8700g
Carrier: TMobile
Angry Same problem with Moto HS850

I have been using my moto HS850 with my new 8700g (T-Mobile) for about three weeks without a hitch. It was so much better than my previous 7100T. Then, all of a sudden, my bluetooth drops after about 5 seconds or so. I can manuall ask it to reconnect to the head set, but it too drops after another 5 or so seconds.

I have tried two identical headsets, both of which are working with my wife's phone fine. This is driving me insane. I drive about 150 miles a day and can't do without my BT. Can't seem to find any answers anywhere. Anyone have a clue as to where to start looking?

Thanks
Old 07-13-2006, 08:29 PM   #8
brentmid

Angry

Peekaboo -

The same is still happening to me. After 5 seconds, the bluetooth drops and it goes to the headset. I can also manually reconnect, but it drops again after 5 seconds.

I've tried wiping the device and starting over. No luck. I've tried a firmware upgrade. No luck. I've tried 3 different headsets - same symptoms.

And it's not like the whole bluetooth connection drops. The connection is still there - it just deactivates the headset after 5 seconds. I don't get it...

Very frustrating.

Anybody have any ideas?
Old 07-13-2006, 11:01 PM   #9
peekaboo

brentmid...

Seems like you and I are having the identical problem.. Here is what I have tried so far...

1) Tried two different bluetooth headsets. Tried them both with my wife's phone... work great. Both do the same drop with the BB
2) Wiped out the handheld several times
3) Did a complete application cleanup and re-install. Re-installed 4.1.0.284 from T-Mobile's web site. After the lenghty refresh, the Bluetooth worked for about a couple of minutes during the first call I made after the system came up. After that, same problem
4) I thought maybe this has something to do with BES IT security policies so I checked with my IT folks and they verified that no BT permissions are imposed on the sets in their setup
5) Just to be sure, I wiped the blackberry, but did not connect it to the Desktop to sync and do the enterprise activation. Without the system having synced with BES, and with the default system policies, it still does the drops
6) Talked to T-Mobile for a couple of hours. The support person finally asked me to get the unit replaced under warranty. The replacement unit should arrive in a few days. I am willin to bet it will have the same issue

What I will try next:

1) Call RIM. Not sure if its worth it
2) Upgrade to OS version 4.1.0.309 and see if anything changes

I can't think of anything else to try. Any ideas gents? Ladies?

There has got to be a fix to this problem! Its probably a software issue related with the initial versions on the 8700 platform, but it is annoying as all hell. Any gurus out there?

Thanks
Old 07-14-2006, 04:38 AM   #10
mas90guru
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

What theme are you using ? Something sticks in my head that when using one particular theme people were experiencing this a while ago.

I have an 8700C upgraded to the latest os and I haven't had any of these issues.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:22 AM   #11
brentmid

I have tried the following Themes - all have exhibited the same symptoms.

BB Dimension - Icon
BB Insight - Icon
Cingular
O2 - Icon
Vodafone

I don't know that it's the theme.

Peekaboo - I upgraded to v 4.1.0.309 and it did not help. If it miraculously works for you, let me know.

I agree it's probably a software issue that RIM will have to look into, but I can't figure out how to complain directly to them (Cingular support is no good). If we get enough folks to complain, maybe RIM will work on it?

Any idea how I can float the issue up their tech support chain?
Old 07-14-2006, 11:26 AM   #12
peekaboo

Default NO progress yet- Theme is something to think about

I upgraded to 4.1.0.309 - No improvement. Its interesting that someone mentioned the theme. For me, the problem first started happening when I hacked the blackberry.alx file to open up extra themes (Vodaphone, Orange, OZ and Zen). All the themes showed up but shortly thereafter I started experiencing BT issues.

Ofcourse I have since then un-installed and installed the regular vanilla T-Mobile build and completely wiped and installed the BB OS several times to come back to the stock configuration and the issue is still there. Might just be a co-incidence.

I am rapidly running out of options now. Any other suggestions?

Let me ask you this... Is there a way to do a hard wipe of the device so that it would wipe everything on it completely, in order to start from scratch? I have done the clean/re-install from desktop manager/Application Loader by using the option "Erase all applications and data before upgrading", not sure if that is sufficient...

THanks
Old 07-20-2006, 02:34 PM   #13
brentmid

Angry

Yeah - I agree. This is a huge drag on me. I feel like a tool with a nice unused plantronics sitting in my desk, and I have to have a wire hanging out of my head.

I don't know that we are going to be able to fix this without a new S/W build from RIM. And I still can't figure out how to get a hold of them directly...
Old 07-20-2006, 03:14 PM   #14
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Not near any other 2.4GHz devices are you? Other phones, a Wi-Fi device, a microwave oven (ok, not in the car!?) etc. Maybe it's sensitive to interference?

Is the paring between the headset and the BB being formed in a different way? I can't recall if there's a option for an encryped link...

Maybe there's a new service book/update that's affected this in some way? Try deleting all the service books and see if things improve before the service books come/are sent back...
Old 08-17-2006, 09:13 AM   #15
shawnfb

Default 8700 BT drops headset in call

My 8700 performs the same way! It drops the BT connection 5-10 seconds into the call when on the BT headset. I appeared to work well the first 30 days, now it is unusable with the BT. It is the phone. I tried three headsets and three phones, all work except the 8700.
This is why I am going with a Nokia E61. Maybe and I hope maybe this will be reliable a a phone/BT
BTW
There isnt a pda/phone outh there worth a crap I have tried alot of them they all suck in one way or another.
Treo 650.. crashes, Volume problems, BT problems
WM5 devices... enough said... it's Wm5! they have never put out a stable phone IMHO
Blackberry, close, but now this BT thing.

I may go back to myh trusted MOTO Razr and a Palm TX both work perfectly

my .02
Old 08-17-2006, 07:03 PM   #16
RoadRider
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

Hasn't ever happened to me. I use a BT headset exclusively.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:25 PM   #17
coral

well, that's interesting! I have a brandnew BB8700c and a brandnew Nokia BH-800 and when I fired them up today, I experienced exactly that on and off and on and off.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:48 PM   #18
careyana
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8820
Carrier: CingATT

I know this is an older thread but has anyone received a resolution? If there are truly this many individuals with this issue (including our director) it would be gratifying to know if this has been acknowledged. If not, I'll put in a call to TSupport to get this moving along...
Old 10-02-2006, 06:13 PM   #19
muscovs

Model: 7800c

Well guys this is the answer to my problem. To remind everyone I am the guy who has a 8700c blackberry that would not work with mobile-ease. If anyone out there has a ford product with a mobile-ease car kit installed and has the 8700c it will not work with their product. after a month of talking to them and you can check it out by calling 1-877-691-8400 extenstion 106. This person name is JP ( that is what he calls himself and he says he is in charge of qualitity control I belive) told me today it will not work with their car kit. There is a cheap one out there that you plug into the cig lighter that works and if anyone wants to know more about it I will be glad to get the information out. also motorola assures me theirs will work with the 8700c
Old 10-12-2006, 11:19 AM   #20
Cheri9724

Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular

I have the same issue. 8700c and I've tried 2 different blue tooth headsets. Called Cingular support. They recommended reloading the OS. Reloaded the OS (version 4.1). Still happens. After 10 seconds the blue tooth connection drops.

Cingular now tells me to swap the SIM card.....doesn't make an ounce of sense to me. I'll let you know what happens once I swap SIM .... have to pry the device out of the users hands.
Closed Thread