Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 10:42 PM   #1
Tritan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: ?
Carrier: Nextel
Default blacklisted phone

Please Login to Remove!

So I needed to purchase a new 7100 and searched on ebay. I found a great dealer with powerseller status that was selling 5 BB a day for weeks on end. I bought a phone and got it just this past Friday then called nextel to activate it. First I didn't have the correct sim card my I880 is black card and they stated I need a yellow. 2ndly they stated I had a PIN number that was on the black list that meant it was stolen or lost.I explained I opened this phone up it was all sealed up minus a missing sim card. Nextel stated they will have to investigate it and will get back to me in a few days to either , one trade phones for a new one or two just clear the phone and let me use it.
I immediately emailed the ebay seller and he contacted me by phone that friday night. He was great and wanted to work it out to protect his feedback. He apologized for the missing card as he is a middle man from the dealer he gets the phones from . He didn't check the package before selling it to me and requested I buy a sim card and then send him the bill . He also wanted to know names and numbers of the nextel rep I talked to which i did.

So my question is has anybody had a blacklisted phone before?Does this sound like I am doing the right things?
I still haven't heard back since Friday night and will hopefully here from nextel on Monday as to what I need to do.

Last edited by Tritan; 01-07-2007 at 10:48 PM..
Old 01-08-2007, 07:04 AM   #2
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

If blacklisted, they are not surposed to ever activate unless the original owner that got it blacklisted releases it. If not the guy on eBay should refund your money
Old 01-08-2007, 07:51 AM   #3
Tritan
CrackBerry Addict

I am wondering if nextel will swap it for me? The sprint rep thought it was an option. If not the guy did state he would refund my money as he wasn't told of this phone by his dealer. It was funny when i called him on the missing sim he stated it was impossible. I asked him to open one of the phones he had in front of him he did and to his astonishment it didn't have a sim either. He doesn't know how many phones he sent out advertised with sim that didn't have them.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:53 PM   #4
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

In the end, I believe Nextel will say this is an issue between you and the eBay seller. They will not activate a blacklisted phone and they have no reason to indemnify buyers of stolen/lost equipment. Even if it's no fault of the buyer.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:07 PM   #5
kasperapd
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700

I sure hope they wouldn't activate a blacklisted phone. The eBay seller should take care of this for you.

Please try a Search
Old 01-08-2007, 06:14 PM   #6
BBChristopher
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000

Did you pay thru PayPal?
A power seller should refund your money. If you paid thru PayPal, they will give you a refund.
Email the seller, and if they don't resolve it immediately, open a dispute.

I would pursue getting your money back instead of trying to get the phone activated.
850, 950, 957, 7100, 7130, 8100, 8800, 8310, 9000
Old 01-08-2007, 06:57 PM   #7
Liv

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

I agree with everyone else here. This is a headache that you should not have to deal with. The seller seems pretty legit being your phone call.

Just have him swap it out, or get your money back. Let the seller deal with it. It is not your responsibility.

Device: Sprint 8330 Curve - Crimson
My heart belongs to Seattle18 (Who I met on the Forums, ironic.)
Old 01-08-2007, 07:16 PM   #8
Tritan
CrackBerry Addict

Question then,

How do i work it out with the seller to get this phone back to him and exchange it for me? How am I guaranteed my money back if I have shipped it to him?
Old 01-08-2007, 07:28 PM   #9
Liv

Carrier: Sprint

That is definitely something for you and the seller to work out.

What I would ask is for a refund first, and then for me to send the unit that day.

If the seller is against it, that is for your judgement. Being he is super protective over his rating, he may just agree to sending the money first.

Or if you get an exchange just both send it out the same day.

Device: Sprint 8330 Curve - Crimson
My heart belongs to Seattle18 (Who I met on the Forums, ironic.)
Old 01-08-2007, 07:31 PM   #10
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

I would imaging he's pretty keen on avoiding "sold a blacklisted phone" in his feedback. That would be the kiss of death for anyone making a living selling on eBay.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:06 PM   #11
Tritan
CrackBerry Addict

If for some reason I send the phone and refuses the refund then will I get a refund from paypal?
Old 01-16-2007, 06:07 PM   #12
Tritan
CrackBerry Addict

Going on 2 weeks this Friday no call back from Nextel. I emailed the blackberry support guy yesterday asking if he found out any changes.Now I get an email from the Nextel blackberry support guy stating this below :

i regret to inform you the day i gave them the call back when we last spoke which was yesterday that the company i work for through sprint released me from work for an unknown reason said they were cutting jobs 300 in the company and i do apologize for this sir i wish i could have been there longer to do more for you i wish you well

[email address]

formerly eds/sprint
JASON T. BROOKS

Sprint/Nextel
3600 Army Post Road
Des Moines, IA 50322

[email address]
Old 01-17-2007, 01:31 AM   #13
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

One of the problems of buying through ebay. You don't know what you get 'til you are stuck with it.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:34 AM   #14
Tritan
CrackBerry Addict

I have bought over 12 phones on ebay and this is the first snag..
Old 01-17-2007, 01:53 AM   #15
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I never buy electronics off ebay i have bought three phones and got burnt on all three.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:02 AM   #16
martin_j001
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: none
Carrier: Nokia e71 on ATT

For future reference, always ask for the imei number, and call Nextel to verify that the phone is not blacklisted first....

Nextel should not activate a blacklisted phone, and they certainly should not replace the possibly stolen phone you have in your hands with a legitimate one.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:22 PM   #17
Alxcab
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritan
If for some reason I send the phone and refuses the refund then will I get a refund from paypal?
This is how it works, i've done this many times before.
Contact the seller and tell him of the problem and ask for a refund.
2nd if he refuses a refund than you log into your paypal and go to the "Resolution Center" and file a claim. Paypal will investigate by contacting him and you for details.

At this time he will know you're serious about getting a refund because if paypal sides with you they will pull the funds from his account to refund you.
This guy needs both his paypal account and ebay account active so this could devastate his selling and collecting rights. If he's selling blacklisted phones than that violates ebay rules and he could get booted for it whether he knew it or not. The responsibility lies with the seller to verify these things unless otherwise noted in his auction.

As far as shipping the item back to him it should be at his cost and only after you have received your refund. NEVER send anything back before you're satisfied as this is your physical proof that he sent you a blacklisted phone.

Good luck
Closed Thread