Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
nemesis1022

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Alltel
Angry Verizon 8830 HELP!!!! need to flash to Alltel

Please Login to Remove!

I recently went to upgrade my account with alltel and found out that im one of the unlucky suckers that will not be able to port my number with verizon if i go to them now i will be sold to att or sprint. *Old news i know*

So here is the deal. i decided to ride it out with out a contract and stick to my plan until merger is done. well a month or so after deciding to do that my V9m Razor2 snapped in half :(

So a friend of mine hooked me up with her 8830 WE Verizon phone. I love this thing except there's a kicker. i cant use the browser. get pictures. send pictures. or honestly use the blackberry for more then text and calls :(

I was on the phone with the alltel tech for about 2hrs and finally he tells me that the phone needs to be flashed with the alltel software. but when i go to the alltel store not one of the collage student "techs" know how to do it. or even if it can be done.

So I'm BEGGING Please, any one know how to do this or can give me some guidance all mighty guru's of the blackberry's. I've heard and read that it can be taken from alltel to verizon but i can not find any real instructions on how to do it.or how to go back and forth.

Thanks for anything guys and gals :D

N3M3S1S
Old 07-06-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted

I have no idea what the tech's might have been talking about. The device software is written by RIM and tested and released by the carriers, but the device software for a given model can be installed and run on that model regarless of which carrier releases it. Your problem is you need a blackberry data plan. See the FAQ.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
pshift
CrackBerry Addict

Model: ...
PIN: N/A. Went To Android!
Carrier: Busy Signal :)

Yup. You need to tell VZW that you wish to activate an 8830 on a BIS Data plan and wish to keep your old number. If you're coming from Alltel, it should work (all other things being equal).

Noone can 'flash' a BlackBerry for you, no matter how hard you look. Reports are that it can be done but it is illegal and will most likely hose your device. It's not worth it.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Except CDMA phones are frequently flashed between different CDMA carriers. If the new carrier will allow the phone on the network (and that's a BIG if), you are OK.

pshift - don't confuse GSM phones with CDMA phones. They are frequently flashed.

Check out HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - HowardForums Home in the Alltel section and see if someone there can assist you.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted

So the tech's weren't blowing smoke up OP's rear? Interesting fact to file away.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:52 PM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Actually the tech had no clue, but ended up in the right place.
You reprogram CDMA phones...
Old 07-07-2010, 08:31 AM   #7
nemesis1022

im sorry i guess i should have included in my first post that i do have a full data plan. but the browser is disabled on the phone. That's why i called them and was told about "Flashing" the phone over after 4hrs on the phone.

My plan is with Alltel and its a 750min unlimited text,data,nights and weekends plan with early nights and the my fav thing.

i would really like to make the browser work on this phone. or at least be able to receive picture messages. cause as it sits, all i can do is call and receive sms text.

ill look on Howard forms as well.

Thanks in advance

E
Old 07-07-2010, 08:34 AM   #8
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

A full data plan is different than a BlackBerry data plan.

On your Verizon device, dial ##000000 and hit the green call key. This will bring you to the service edit screen. Once in there, call Alltel and give them the information there, the MSID number is what I believe they need. They can then add the device into their system and tell you what to enter into the device. The device will then reset once saved and you should be good to go.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 07-07-2010, 09:13 AM   #9
nemesis1022

from what im reading at the howard form, theres allot of people moving Verizon phones over to alltel but there having to modify data in the phone to make the data side of things work. including

MEID
ESN
and the username VZW.net and change it to ********** alltel.net

and the pass code is the hex ESN printed on the back

i found a tool to make the meid /esn conversion. but i dont know how to get to the menu to attempt this.

Hope you guys can help. and thanks :D
Old 07-07-2010, 10:55 AM   #10
nemesis1022

The other thing to this all is im wanting to keep my alltel plan and not got to Verizon cause i dont want to get sold off when there done doing there thing in my area....
Old 07-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #11
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

I think the Howard Forums Alltel group is the place for you to get these answers....
Old 07-07-2010, 12:06 PM   #12
nemesis1022

Ok, ill attempt to get some help there. thanks anyhow guys, love the forum. comming from never owning a BB to getting this one and reading all the post about them i understand the love of these phones. now if i could use mine for what there able to do :D
Closed Thread