BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 02:02 AM   #1
msrn399

Model: 8700C
Default Can you turn off message retrieval and still use cell phone?

Please Login to Remove!

Hello All,

It seems like I have spent a good part of my day lokking through the menus of the 8700C and I can not find an option to disable blackberry messages and still have the cell phone portion on. I would like to recieve and make phone calls, however, I want the ability to turn the emails off when I want and maybe with the possibility of scheduling (as you can with device power on and off).

Saludos..
Old 01-05-2006, 07:10 AM   #2
saldous
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Just don't sign up for the BIS or BES service from your carrier. then they can't deliver messages and u just use as a phone.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:23 PM   #3
nautical

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

can't you just create a profile that mutes notification for incoming messages? they'll still come in, but at least you won't be bothered by them. i have a profile such as that when i'm in meetings
Old 01-05-2006, 02:48 PM   #4
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

If you are using BES, open Messages > Options > Email Settings > Send Email To Handheld = YES. Atleast this works on my 7100t, dont know about the 8700c.

Doug
Old 01-05-2006, 03:23 PM   #5
kurichan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon BIS / BES

He's been pretty specific. He wants to turn off delivery, probably temporarily. I can imagine wanting to do this. There's got to be a way...
9630 #4 < 9630 #3 < 9630 #2 < 9630 < 9530 (returned) < 8703 < 7250
Old 01-05-2006, 03:34 PM   #6
hbomb341
Thumbs Must Hurt

I agree I would liek to know how to turn off data temporarily, especially when international and not wanting a MASSIVE bill or switchign out sim's.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:47 PM   #7
nb_mitch
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310

Under Profiles, there is a "Phone Only" option which will eliminate the ring or vibrate for incoming messages, but not stop them.

For me, I have all my email forwarded to my [email address] addy and my mail server is accessible from the web, so I can go turn off the forwarding pretty easy, but not something you would want to do 3 or 4 times a day. You could also go into the BIS if your mail is polling and delete your email address and add it back, again not something you want to do 3 or 4 times a day.

Last edited by nb_mitch; 01-05-2006 at 03:51 PM..
Old 01-05-2006, 11:25 PM   #8
deezmfnutz

Model: STORM
Carrier: vzw

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb_mitch
Under Profiles, there is a "Phone Only" option which will eliminate the ring or vibrate for incoming messages, but not stop them.

For me, I have all my email forwarded to my [email address] addy and my mail server is accessible from the web, so I can go turn off the forwarding pretty easy, but not something you would want to do 3 or 4 times a day. You could also go into the BIS if your mail is polling and delete your email address and add it back, again not something you want to do 3 or 4 times a day.
The only other way I could see doing this would be to delete the mail delivery service boooks from your handheld. You would have to resend your services book to resume e-mail delivery. However you should retain your phone and internet access, and your qued messages should appear on your handheld once you resent your service books. This would a bit of a pain in the ass to do on a routine basis. I do not know of a easy way to halt e-mail delivery. If it where me I would just set the message deilvery alert in my profile as quiet/off (you can set-up your profile so that you won't get any alert for messages, no tone no vibrate no LED flash).
Old 01-06-2006, 05:52 PM   #9
Fkewl

Model: 8830
Carrier: Bell

I have a 7510, so here's how i would do it

click-> messages icon
click-> Options
click-> Email filters
Change the "if no filters apply, send email to handheld" to "NO"
without any filters activated, no email will be sent to handheld
(if you have BIS, then you need to logon on the website to see your mails that was sent to the blackberry.net address)(if you have BES, then your emails will be in your inbox)
then, if needed, add some filters to get only important messages

Voila, but please note that any email that was not sent because of filtering will not be sent once filtering is off

Hope that helps
Francois

With sufficient thrust, Blackberrys can fly
Old 01-07-2006, 05:04 PM   #10
msrn399

Default Profiles work for my purpose

Hello all,

Thanks for your feedback. Using profiles was the solution. I set up a profile that leaves the cell phone on and active and the message delivery in mute mood. This allows me to keep the meesages sent so I can review them latter.

Saludos,
Marcos
Old 01-07-2006, 06:44 PM   #11
msrn399

Default Profiles work for my purpose

Hello all,

Thanks for your feedback. Using profiles was the solution. I set up a profile that leaves the cell phone on and active and the message delivery in mute mood. This allows me to keep the meesages sent so I can review them latter.

Saludos,
Marcos
Closed Thread