Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 12:18 AM   #1
rogermac1975
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: The New AT&T
Default 8800 Trackball Dirt?

Please Login to Remove!

OK have to ask...I just ordered an 8800, and I need to know...does the trackball get filthy like on the Pearl?
Old 05-19-2007, 12:40 AM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

It will turn dark over time.....Keep your hands clean and free of grease, oils (french fries, etc) when using it. Also, I use keyboard shortcuts so as not to use the ball ALL the time.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:45 AM   #3
rogermac1975
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: The New AT&T

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

What's the safest way to clean it?
Old 05-19-2007, 01:02 AM   #4
fourtheye28
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Cingular

I hate it the most when something bigger than dirt gets stuck in the well, and my ball will move, but slip on the sensors! URGH! Is there any way to safely remove the ball, clean the well and ball and pop it back in?
Old 05-19-2007, 03:21 AM   #5
NYFashion212

Carrier: T-mobile

See!...We didn't have this problem with the jog-dial (trackWHEEL)

Love's my Blackberry*
*No wonder they call it CRACKBERRY*
Old 05-19-2007, 02:48 PM   #6
xxhiyanxx
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7520
Carrier: nextel

yeah... the jog dial only stopped clicking or working all together
Old 05-19-2007, 03:28 PM   #7
NYFashion212

Carrier: T-mobile

I never had that issue with the jog-dial

Love's my Blackberry*
*No wonder they call it CRACKBERRY*
Old 05-22-2007, 12:42 PM   #8
carl rifkind
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800C
Carrier: Cingular, the new AT&T

Get's dirty and the trackball won't go in some directions. Use a case! Lint from Jeans I guess. How nasty is that!
Old 11-24-2007, 08:42 PM   #9
delmarco
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9790
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermac1975 View Post
OK have to ask...I just ordered an 8800, and I need to know...does the trackball get filthy like on the Pearl?
yes it will. I just got my Curve and noticed, after comparison to a co-worker's Curve, that the trackball on hers was brown/black whiles mine was pearly white. She is a neat freak and very clean and after a month this was the condition of it. It seems to be something that WILL happen regardless, but because it so gradual you won't notice it until your neighbor buys and new Curve and you put it side by side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
It will turn dark over time.....Keep your hands clean and free of grease, oils (french fries, etc) when using it. Also, I use keyboard shortcuts so as not to use the ball ALL the time.
Probably the only way is to NEVER use the trackball. Which is the best thing, but also stupid since we paid for the pearly ball function.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermac1975 View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

What's the safest way to clean it?
There is none. I did an extensive search here and the Pearl forum have a few threads on this issue and the only thing that seems to work is either cleaning the ball every night to prevent it from getting dirty. People seem to use everything from Air-in-a-can, to Rubbing Alcohol to ACETONE Nail Polish remover, to Bleach but the ball still eventually gets dirty. The everyday cleaning only slows it down.
The general consensus and final solution seemed to veer towards just purchasing a new trackball ($39). And given that any trackball will only stay white and clean for about a month, you may want to order a few trackballs at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYFashion212 View Post
See!...We didn't have this problem with the jog-dial (trackWHEEL)
You are right NYFashion212. Remember me? I'm the guy that hooked your 8700g up with the 8700v case in the coffeeshop on Bleeker St.
Anyway...I sort of prefer the Jog-Dial to the Trackball. That Jog-Dial was my lifeline all these years.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:39 PM   #10
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
yes it will. I just got my Curve and noticed, after comparison to a co-worker's Curve, that the trackball on hers was brown/black whiles mine was pearly white. She is a neat freak and very clean and after a month this was the condition of it. It seems to be something that WILL happen regardless, but because it so gradual you won't notice it until your neighbor buys and new Curve and you put it side by side.

Probably the only way is to NEVER use the trackball. Which is the best thing, but also stupid since we paid for the pearly ball function.

There is none. I did an extensive search here and the Pearl forum have a few threads on this issue and the only thing that seems to work is either cleaning the ball every night to prevent it from getting dirty. People seem to use everything from Air-in-a-can, to Rubbing Alcohol to ACETONE Nail Polish remover, to Bleach but the ball still eventually gets dirty. The everyday cleaning only slows it down.
The general consensus and final solution seemed to veer towards just purchasing a new trackball ($39). And given that any trackball will only stay white and clean for about a month, you may want to order a few trackballs at a time.

You are right NYFashion212. Remember me? I'm the guy that hooked your 8700g up with the 8700v case in the coffeeshop on Bleeker St.
Anyway...I sort of prefer the Jog-Dial to the Trackball. That Jog-Dial was my lifeline all these years.
I've used both and the trackball is by far a better solution the the track wheel. Maybe RIM should try an optical ball instead of mechanical. I've used trackballs on the desk top and always hated the mechanical ones due to the cleaning issues.
Closed Thread