Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
hjmayniac

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default When Am I Using Wifi?

Please Login to Remove!

I have a Blackberry Bold with AT&T's data plan. I've been able to connect to a variety of networks with no problem, but it seems that some apps simply won't use Wifi.

First of all, my primary portals to the internet are MediaNet and the Browser that came with the phone. These are the first two icons in the attached WebMenu.jpg screenshot. I never get wifi in MediaNet, as indicated by the 3G symbol in the upper right hand corner of the MediaNet3G.jpg screenshot. This is also the case with the CingularVideo app (where I could really use the speed of wifi). Any idea why?

I generally get wifi as indicated by the highlighted wifi symbol in the upper right hand corner of BrowserUsingWifi.jpg. Sometimes it switches back to 3G for no apparent reason, though. I check the wifi on the home menu, and it looks fine. I go back to the same page on the browser, and it displays using wifi. I don't *think* it is glitches on the network - but is there a definitive way I can check? (I've looked at the log in my router and I don't see the connection dropping and being re-established.)

Finally, there are times when I appear to be connected to a network, but I'm really not. The network name appears in the middle of the screen, but the wifi icon is greyed out. See the WifiConnectedDisabled.jpg attachement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WebMenu.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	16587   Click image for larger version

Name:	BrowserUsingWifi.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	16588   Click image for larger version

Name:	MediaNet3G.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	16589   Click image for larger version

Name:	WifiConnectedDisabled.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	16590  
Old 06-23-2009, 09:53 AM   #2
bmwm5e60
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: tmobile

I think the data plan is required for some app. I had the same problem with the gmail app. Once I turned the data plan on it worked.
Closed Thread