jscully
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: 3066853A
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire
I was just asking for bell specific stuff. I agree Im quite lazy, but I am new to the forums. Im sorry for casuing a disturbance. But Im hoping that the 7250 will allow me to teather real real soon.
It's all good. Just try to search before posting. You'll find that you'll actually pick-up more info than you'll ever need, including tips and tricks.
I too have the 7250 on Bell, and am awaiting the Tethering solution.
Just keep an eye on the Forums...it will be quite obvious when it comes down (example: Verizon just opened the solution and there was a ton of chatter).
Oh, I paid $550+tax for my 7250, $850+tax for my 6750...that could be one reason I was snippy.
I think you're signature will probably enrage a few other users too...
Old 11-28-2005, 03:08 PM   #202
Hotwire
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7250

yeah, Sorry about the price thing. I called them up for somthing as simple as getting a second line installed for a business number, and I go suckered into not only the second line, but a 1-800 number, and the unlimmited data rate. I also get unlimmited calling for 6months. I dont know why they did all this for me? The guy was just really nice.

and im not on a plan either.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:02 PM   #203
kmehling
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8103e
Carrier: Verizon

Just wanted to drop a line. We are a B2B small business Verizon group of subscribers and I went to the site posted. Called Verizon, told them I wanted to upgrade 1 7250 to EVDO capable. I told HIM what site I was on (he didn't know it existed). Put me on hold for about 20 minutes- I expected this, as others have reported the same thing.

Came back and said, "OK- I went ahead and confirmed that you're good to upgrade. I made a change to your phone enabling it for EVDO network, it's a $15 charge..." I said OK because I really don't care.

He told me to download the software, first the desktop and install it, then the BB firmware upgrade. Did as he said. I checked the Verizon sheet on the "service plans" and the EVDO thing is there now for that BB, but it says $0.00 so I wonder if he was confused as to how much it would cost.

Anyway, the BB seems to be working great- I have yet to see EVDO written at the top, only an italicized 1X but I have little doubt it's pulling down EVDO speeds. I had a 4.0.0.x 7250 right next to this newly upgrade 4.0.2.x 7250, and we cleared the cache, and went to finance.yahoo.com as a test. The EVDO BB loaded the page in about 5-7 seconds from "go" to "finish" and the other wasn't even quite a quarter of the way through. The user didn't have his laptop, but he'll bring it in tomorrow so I'll try out a tether and speed test to see how it goes.

Moral of the story:
1. It works

2. The 7250 is EVDO capable and works on the Verizon network (We're in central Jersey)

3. The Verizon tech was super nice and helpful but basically clueless. As was stated before in this thread, because of BBForums.com, I knew more than he knew. He didn't know the link to download the software/firmware. He didn't know it was active. But he did take about 30 minutes total of putting me on hold to "ask around" and always came back with positive news.

4. User has not experienced "Data Connection Refused" as of yet, though he will report back after the drive home tonight.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:53 PM   #204
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmehling
Anyway, the BB seems to be working great- I have yet to see EVDO written at the top, only an italicized 1X but I have little doubt it's pulling down EVDO speeds.
It should be saying "1XEV" instead of "EVDO". This may be causing some confusion. If you are experiencing massive speed increases, it is probably using EVDO now.

Other readers who want to set up EVDO on a 7250, should see this:
How To Enable EVDO BroadbandAccess On Version BlackBerry 7250
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 11-30-2005, 12:48 PM   #205
Thom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default 7250 Ev-do

I am not sure if this is going to throw things off but this is what I have done:

Logged online to the verizonwireless website (www.verizonwireless.com) and checked my service profile to see if anything about EVDO was stated and it was "Unlimited Blackberry/Evdo" under the current data plan. I then went to the equipment and plans section and clicked on features to see if EVDO was listed and it was "Unlimited Blackberry/Evdo" once again.

From this point I followed version 9 of Mark's document from step 3 through 8. I have not had time to try the modem tethering yet. I also did step 12 out of curiosity and added the vzw password and rebooted my BB.

I am not in a EVDO area however I have a "1X" when I used to have a "1x". My BB seems to download websites much faster than previously including javascript pages. It takes a while to hang up a call using the Esc. button and I have to push a button on my Bluetooth headset in order to use the headset whereas in the past I could just click answer on my BB and it would work.

Does this mean I have EVDO even though I did not make any of the phone calls everyone else had to make? I am South Central PA near Harrisburg. I will try the modem tethering when I get time to see what if anything I find out.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:45 PM   #206
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom
I am not sure if this is going to throw things off but this is what I have done:
It looks like Verizon might have been upgrading at least some subscribers preemptively to EVDO so that they wouldn't have problems when they install the newest BlackBerryOS upgrades.

Can other Verizon consumer users (those who have not followed my instructions) check their account to see if EVDO was added to their bill?
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 11-30-2005, 08:07 PM   #207
dlan

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom
I have to push a button on my Bluetooth headset in order to use the headset whereas in the past I could just click answer on my BB and it would work.
Thom I had this problem too after upgrading... I deleted the BT profile for my headset then add it back again now it's working as before.

Last edited by dlan; 11-30-2005 at 09:17 PM..
Old 11-30-2005, 11:00 PM   #208
Thom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Dlan - I did delete the profile and added it again. I will try deleting again to see what happens.

Everyone else - I had a few minutes and installed the VZAccess software and tested the tethering with the BB. I can say that it works and I am typing and posting this through my laptop with a connection to the internet with my BB. I am not in an EVDO enabled area but it seems responsive enough. It is not as fast as my DSL connection but when traveling this could be handy when a WIFI connection is not available for free.

Is there a way to know for sure that I am EVDO enabled without calling Verizon and without being in an EVDO area?
Old 11-30-2005, 11:02 PM   #209
CanuckMakem
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
PIN: 205DDA2C

Anyone know when Telus will be turning it on... I've already updated my 7250

Old 11-30-2005, 11:11 PM   #210
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckMakem

The instructions specifically said not to upgrade the Handheld until the service was first activated, keep that in mind.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 12-01-2005, 05:19 AM   #211
essay182
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: VZW

Is there going to be a fee to upgrade the 7250s to EVDO in the future? If I move back to California this winter I would like to have EVDO. Also, is there a way to use the 7250s EVDO with Mac OS X or Linux yet? Is it strictly Windows only with the VZ software right now?
Old 12-01-2005, 02:24 PM   #212
6footwingspan

Alltel was supposed to release EV-DO at the beginning of December, I have been informed that has been pushed back until mid January 2006. sigh I have spoken with a couple Data support people already with Alltel who have 7250's as well and they say it is not compatible with EV-DO. So I pointed them to VZW website with the instructions. Two of the support people then told me that VZW's BB7250 was different than Alltel's. Now keep in mind, VZW and Alltel are both CDMA, there 7250's both use CDMA and both companies share tower and bandwidth. I don't mind the release date has been pushed back, I do mind when someone who doesn't what they are speaking on tells me something just to SHUT ME UP. Enough of my rant...more on my blog later.

David
BB 7250
Old 12-01-2005, 03:08 PM   #213
RLLD
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290
PIN: 23F7DB5F
Carrier: Cingular
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
LOL!
Old 12-01-2005, 03:22 PM   #214
BlackBurner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckMakem

..would also like to know this....thnx..
Old 12-03-2005, 05:04 PM   #215
abstractrude
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7550

ok so is there any way of knowing when ev do is on other than that stupid icon. because that icon can be modified with profiles. like is there a difference in the routing tables or anything. thanks guy
Old 12-04-2005, 07:07 PM   #216
bbmike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: None
Carrier: Telus

I think Telus will wait 'a while' for EVDO on 7250 not to 'interfere' with the 7130 launch....but it should come...eventually!
Old 12-05-2005, 01:35 AM   #217
jj358mhz

Model: 8130
PIN: n/a
Talking 7250 Upgrade Successful

After following Mark Rejon's reccomendations and calling (twice) to Verizon's data group, I met with no success. I took a long-shot and walked into a Verizon store and asked them about the EV-DO upgrade; within five minutes of looking at my account, they had the BBC option amended to my account (the same $44.99/month).

A couple hours later I upgraded all the software/firmware (per Mark's awesome instructions) and now have "1XEV" displayed on my BB!

Muchas Gracias
Old 12-05-2005, 04:51 PM   #218
mklevemann

Well, I tried to get Verizon to add the code to my account and they told me it was not available for consumer users. Something about the network "not being ready for the possible load".

Sigh.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:16 PM   #219
RDFWW

Thom,

Now that you've had a few days to try it out, how is the performance when you tether your BB to the laptop?

Thanks
Old 12-05-2005, 06:45 PM   #220
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj358mhz
After following Mark Rejon's reccomendations and calling (twice) to Verizon's data group, I met with no success. I took a long-shot and walked into a Verizon store and asked them about the EV-DO upgrade; within five minutes of looking at my account, they had the BBC option amended to my account (the same $44.99/month).

A couple hours later I upgraded all the software/firmware (per Mark's awesome instructions) and now have "1XEV" displayed on my BB!

Muchas Gracias
But can you tether your laptop? I have the BB unlimited plan on my 7130e and want to connect using 1x-RTT (#777 via the modem). When I do I get an invalid username/password response from the network.
Closed Thread