BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
MikeLip
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon
Default Headset that does NOT enter the ear?

Please Login to Remove!

OK, I wear hearing aids. I can use head phones, but not ear buds or anything that goes into the ear canal. Is there a headset that works that way, perhaps hooking over the ear?

I want it for car use. I have a couple handsfree sets, but they are not all that great. I can hear them fine (they are both Blue Ant sets - the ST Light and ST3). But they pick up road noise and the person on the other end sometimes has a problem hearing me.

If there IS a good handsfree with good sound quality on both ends, I will buy it. BB sells one that got a good review, but reading between the lines I doubt it's really better in terms of call quality than the Blue Ant units. It just has more cool features that I don't care about - if your caller can't hear you, the unit is without value. Maybe I am wrong about the BB and it is the magic bullet.

Suggestions?
Old 08-13-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Try the BlueParrot B250 -- you will look like a real geek, but it works quite nicely for both parties to the call. Far and away the best sound quality that I have experienced.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:51 PM   #3
MikeLip
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2 View Post
Try the BlueParrot B250 -- you will look like a real geek, but it works quite nicely for both parties to the call. Far and away the best sound quality that I have experienced.
Well, I AM a geek. I came to terms with that long ago Thanks. I will look at it!
Old 08-13-2009, 07:01 PM   #4
raydb

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

I wear hearing aids and use a hearing aid compatible bluetooth. It's the Starkey ELI DirX Ear level instrument ED-100. Kind of pricey but I can connect it to my hearing aid and wear it all day. Info at www dot elihearing dot com. or just google eli hearing.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:25 AM   #5
MikeLip
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydb View Post
I wear hearing aids and use a hearing aid compatible bluetooth. It's the Starkey ELI DirX Ear level instrument ED-100. Kind of pricey but I can connect it to my hearing aid and wear it all day. Info at www dot elihearing dot com. or just google eli hearing.
It looks like you have to have compatible, behind the ear aids. It sure looks like a nice gadget though.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:54 AM   #6
michaelalanjones
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: T of Ale, Please!
Carrier: AT&T
Thumbs up I have a Motorola HT820 Stereo Headset

I have a Motorola HT820 stereo headset. It locks into Bluetooth perfectly, every time. That might not seem like anything, but sometimes, I have to reconnect with my Jabra BT500 (in-ear headset) a few times, to clear out the scratchy, crackly background (I think the Jabra's antenna is too small, to lock into a good connection). So I prefer the Motorola.

It has great sound, and goes outside of my ears. Not over and cupped around them, but outside. The band goes behind your head, not on top of your head - you should try that style on, before you buy, because it feels strange - you feel something on the back of your head, instead of on top. Not for everybody.

The batteries last for a nice long time, and you can listen to music in stereo, very clearly. I do that a lot. I have an 8GB card in my BlackBerry Bold, with tons of music. I walk around, listening to music, and the phone rings, I tap the large (big as a quarter) button, to answer, and once again to hang up, then the music comes right back on.

It has a microphone, of course, and to call someone, you just tap the large button, say, "Call ...", to call, and it 'hears' you good too - it doesn't call the wrong person, due to mis-hearing who you wanted to call.

Oh, and it charges with the same charger as my BlackBerry Bold; the mini USB charger, which is convenient. It does not have noise reduction, but if you know anything about noise reduction, it is not all it is cracked up to be; sure, NR is better than nothing, but don't think it will block out all noise.

Also, it has a carbon fiber look that is very high-tech.

The only problem is that it is bulky, and yes, it scores high on the nerd factor. You need to see if you can try them on before you buy them, because they are big. About the size of a small doorknob, on each ear.

It was about $100. I bought it several years ago, though, and it might be cheaper now, or they might have a newer model.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motorola HT820.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	17030  
Old 08-14-2009, 09:32 AM   #7
MikeLip
Thumbs Must Hurt

This looks similar...