Old 05-29-2008, 01:57 PM   #1
CFD323
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted

Just got my Otterbox today and really like it, except for the rubbery membrane that covers the screen. The bubbles are annoying. I'm putting a BSE skin on my screen so I'll already have screen protection, but I want to keep the keys protected with the otterbox "skin". Has anyone cut out the screen part out and left the rest of the otterbox skin intact? That way I get the best screen protection(BSE) and the keys are protected by the otterbox skin.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:34 PM   #2
michaelbron
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMO

Wirelessly posted (@ 72 mph)

I have the otter box for my 8100! Your right about the bubbles on the screen, that's the only drawback. I've tried many methods to get all the bubbles out, but I've found a way to get them all out. Take a blow dryer and slowly heat the shield. Not too hot or it will melt and get disfigured. Clean with cold water while still warm. Try not to get the fiber wet that covers the speaker and mic. Dry with cloth that came with the otter box. Now the tricky part, starting at the bottom of the screen, apply the membrane slowly. With the application card slowly work out the bubbles to the direction your applying. Take your time and you won't have any bubbles.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
Ketzer

Model: 8310
Carrier: A to the double T

I'm eyeballing the Otter for my Curve. Are there any other drawbacks or querks you guys dont like?
Old 05-29-2008, 04:11 PM   #4
michaelbron
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMO

That's the only problem with it. Taking the otterbox off when you have to do a battery pull may be a problem for some. But after you've taken it off a few times it will be a lot quicker to take off and put back on. You won't be disappointed with it if you decide to purchase.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:14 PM   #5
CFD323
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelbron View Post

I have the otter box for my 8100! Your right about the bubbles on the screen, that's the only drawback. I've tried many methods to get all the bubbles out, but I've found a way to get them all out. Take a blow dryer and slowly heat the shield. Not too hot or it will melt and get disfigured. Clean with cold water while still warm. Try not to get the fiber wet that covers the speaker and mic. Dry with cloth that came with the otter box. Now the tricky part, starting at the bottom of the screen, apply the membrane slowly. With the application card slowly work out the bubbles to the direction your applying. Take your time and you won't have any bubbles.

I don't want the otterbox on my curve all the time, just when I'm at work.
That's why I thought about just cutting out the screen portion of the otterbox membrane; I won't ever have any bubbles then, and my BSE will provide the screen protection. Plus it's a quick change to take the Curve in and out, especially if there are no bubbles to worry about...
Closed Thread