BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 09:19 AM   #1
PurdueSteve

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmo
Default deleted E-mail setup application?

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,

My fiance and I both recently acquired Tmobile 8320s.

Mine was brand new because I just added a line. We picked hers up from an Ebay purchase as she had signed a new contract and wasn't qualified for an upgrade.

Anyway, I added the BIS addon to each of our lines. I set my phone up just fine.

In trying to set her phone up, the previous user has deleted the "setup email" application. If I'm remembering correctly this is where you tell the blackberry that you're on a BIS plan. My fiance isn't too concerned with having emails directed straight to her blackberry and would rather using an application to retrieve her yahoo emails. However, because the device doesn't "know" its on a BIS plan it isn't letter her use the facebook application. I'm getting a message that reads in the facebook application that reads "You are currently on a service plan that does not support this application. Please contact your service provider yada yada yada".

Any clues on what I need to do?
Old 06-09-2008, 09:26 AM   #2
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

options > advanced > host routing table > menu > register now. see if that works. if not go into your myTmobile account under her name and then set up the email that way. when you do that, you will be able to send service books
Old 06-09-2008, 09:47 AM   #3
PurdueSteve

thanks

I just went through those steps and so far no luck, perhaps I need to give the networks time to update and get things verified. I will try again in a few hours.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:48 AM   #4
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

when you resent service books did you get any notification on the device? also, what does it say in the top right signal indicator? does it say EDGE or UMA or GPRS in all caps?
Old 06-09-2008, 09:57 AM   #5
PurdueSteve

I didn't get any notification when I sent the service books.

I've tried it both on EDGE and UMA. Her BB is working fine when connecting to the net and doing other things, it just seems like it isn't BIS activated.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:58 AM   #6
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I didnt think you could delete the email application. Are you sure its just not hidden?
Old 06-09-2008, 10:01 AM   #7
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

so you are getting all caps on EDGE/UMA?
means you have the data plan. pull the battery with the device on, wait 30 seconds, put the battery back in.

Also before you do that, check what Dawg suggested. go to the main icon screen > menu > show all
Old 06-09-2008, 10:20 AM   #8
PurdueSteve

uma right now is lowercase. I will pull the battery.

As for Dawgs suggestion this was the first thing I did. It's not hidden it's gone. I had a 8830 through work so I'm not new to BBs in general, just new to the curve and new to this particular problem.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:22 AM   #9
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

you dont have a data connection to RIM yet, which is why you have no email setup. it can take up to several hours to get the data plan provisioned properly. Call Tmo support have them delete/re-add if its been more than 6 hours or so
Old 06-09-2008, 10:30 AM   #10
PurdueSteve

- I've double checked that I have the BIS plan for this line
- I've double checked the email setup isn't hidden
- When going through "device setup" under email setup there is no option to add an email. The only options are setup BES email and skip email setup. On my curve there was a 3rd option
- uma/edge are indeed showing up in lowercase
-I've gone to "host routing table" and sent the register command
- I've gone to Tmobiles internet email setup. Ive added an existing yahoo account and I created a blackberry email account. I've requested the service books with no response at the device

Thanks sith, I deleted and readded the BIS plan through Tmo, I'll give it six hours and then check again. When a connection is established with RIM, will the phone automatically update to reflect that [signal type change to CAPS, ect] or will I need to do something?

Last edited by PurdueSteve; 06-09-2008 at 10:34 AM..
Old 06-09-2008, 10:31 AM   #11
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueSteve View Post
uma right now is lowercase. I will pull the battery.

As for Dawgs suggestion this was the first thing I did. It's not hidden it's gone. I had a 8830 through work so I'm not new to BBs in general, just new to the curve and new to this particular problem.
I wasnt suggesting you were new was just reminding you to check. We never know what someone has tried or not.

Youd be surprised how many people on here that are considered top dogs have forgotten about hidden apps. I have learned new things and remembered old things by simple reminders here. I myself have tripped over my own thumbs on BBs.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:32 AM   #12
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
- When going through "device setup" under email setup there is no option to add an email. The only options are setup BES email and skip email setup. On my curve there was a 3rd option
- I've gone to Tmobiles internet email setup. Ive added an existing yahoo account and I created a blackberry email account. I've requested the service books with no response at the device
what sith is saying is the device hasnt resgistered on the BIS network yet. and may need to be reprovisioned from tmo. it happens and you wont have the email set up till that happens
Old 06-09-2008, 10:32 AM   #13
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:

How long has it been since you added the data plan to the account? If it has been more than a few hours, call them, have them remove the plan, and re-add it. also verify SIM/IMEI/PIN with them.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:36 AM   #14
PurdueSteve

Dawg,

Sorry if I sounded rude in saying that I wasn't a newbie.

As for the rest of your post, Sith made a post while I was creating mine making it appear that I didn't understand what he was saying.

Thanks to both of you guys.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:37 AM   #15
Dawg
No longer Registered.

ok cool no worrys then hope you get it sorted out
Old 06-09-2008, 07:25 PM   #16
PurdueSteve

OK, so far no luck at all.

I waited 6 hours and still no luck after having walked through all the suggestions in this thread again.

I called Tmobile, the girl told me that everything looked good. After her slowly taking me through each of the above mentioned steps in this thread we got nowhere. No BIS notifications, edge still lower case, ect.

I asked the girl to delete the internet plan and re-add it, hoping it would reinitialize everything. this was 2 hours ago and so far still nothing.

Then I remembered something, this phone is "unlocked". Does that matter, do I need to change a setting somewhere that will allow this phone to be properly identified on the Tmo network?
Old 06-09-2008, 08:11 PM   #17
PurdueSteve

OK, I solved the problem. I don't know why I needed to do this or what exactly I did, but this steps resolved the issue for me

Quote:
Go to options/advanced options/tcp.
Enter "wap.voicestream.com" after APN:
Leave Username and password blank. Save and exit
Perhaps a guru could explain why exactly this needed to be done. I'm guessing it relates to being an unlocked phone, or perhaps because the phone wasn't brand new.

Either way, I hope this thread helps someone else out in the future.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:02 AM   #18
oakie
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: CERS!
Carrier: T-Mobile, Verizon

Quote:
OK, I solved the problem. I don't know why I needed to do this or what exactly I did, but this steps resolved the issue for me

Perhaps a guru could explain why exactly this needed to be done. I'm guessing it relates to being an unlocked phone, or perhaps because the phone wasn't brand new.

Either way, I hope this thread helps someone else out in the future.
it's the access point for t-mobile to be able to send data directly to the phone. since it was a "new to you" phone, and applications were missing, it needed a 2-way street to get T-Mobile's settings back onto the phone.

this setting is also important in receiving and sending MMS messages.