Burrel
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
PIN: PIN?
Carrier: 02
Default Pround new owner - but problems getting e-mails from hotmail

Please Login to Remove!

Hi there,

I've just got myself a new Blackberry 8900. First time Blackberry owner.

I added my hotmail account details so that it can be set up to receive mails - I even have an e-mail from Activation Server saying 'Congratulations, you have successfully setup (e-mail address) with your Blackberry device. You should begin receiving new messages in approximately 20 minutes.

I waited 20 minutes and nothing. Then I thought perhaps it's not going to bring through all the messages currently in my inbox. So I sent myself an e-mail, and still nothing after a few hours.

Am I doing something wrong or maybe not set everything up yet? Do I need to create an Outlook account, somehow, so my hotmail e-mails can come via that? I do have 'EDGE' so I should be able to receive e-mails.

Many thanks in advance
Old 03-13-2009, 07:58 PM   #2
e1000
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

seems like the blackberry services are having some issues today.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:45 PM   #3
Burrel

So, I'm wondering whether I need to create an e-mail account through Blackberry, for some reason, which may then enable me to receive my hotmail e-mails. Correct me, please, if this is correct or not.

So I went into 'Email Setup' in Setup Wizard, then clicked the first option 'Create or add an e-mail address'. Then, a new message which I'm not only getting is "HTTP Error 400: Bad Request. The server could not understand the page request, or it was unable to process it for some reason. Please try loading a different page'.

So now it's just gone from bad to worse! I still have full signal, EDGE and the WiFi logo.

Please help!
Old 03-13-2009, 08:55 PM   #4
raneubb

Model: 9330
Carrier: Sprint

Wirelessly posted

I have found that forwarding your pop emails to the blackberry email address is the fastest way to receive emails.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:19 PM   #5
Burrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by raneubb View Post
Wirelessly posted

I have found that forwarding your pop emails to the blackberry email address is the fastest way to receive emails.
I don't have any idea how to do this I'm afraid, or even if I can with just Hotmail. Could you possibly let me know please?
Old 03-13-2009, 09:27 PM   #6
Burrel

Sorry, just to add something else to the mix which seems even worse! I've just added the Blackberry User Tools disc onto my laptop and connected it to my 8900 and have taken all the updates. NOW, my signal says 'off' I have no EDGE and no WiFi sign.

I think I'm going to turn it off and go to bed!

What is going wrong guys!?
Old 03-13-2009, 09:30 PM   #7
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

I suggest you do a search. I know at one time Microsoft was forcing hotmail account holders to upgrade to the premium version before allowing mail to go to a PDA. Not sure if that is still the case or not since I don't use it.

There have also been some scattered RIM/BB data outages reported today.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 03-13-2009, 10:16 PM   #8
e1000
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrel View Post
Sorry, just to add something else to the mix which seems even worse! I've just added the Blackberry User Tools disc onto my laptop and connected it to my 8900 and have taken all the updates. NOW, my signal says 'off' I have no EDGE and no WiFi sign.

I think I'm going to turn it off and go to bed!

What is going wrong guys!?
lol, turn your radio back on
Old 03-14-2009, 02:35 AM   #9
waiho
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: O2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrel View Post
Hi there,

I've just got myself a new Blackberry 8900. First time Blackberry owner.

I added my hotmail account details so that it can be set up to receive mails - I even have an e-mail from Activation Server saying 'Congratulations, you have successfully setup (e-mail address) with your Blackberry device. You should begin receiving new messages in approximately 20 minutes.

I waited 20 minutes and nothing. Then I thought perhaps it's not going to bring through all the messages currently in my inbox. So I sent myself an e-mail, and still nothing after a few hours.

Am I doing something wrong or maybe not set everything up yet? Do I need to create an Outlook account, somehow, so my hotmail e-mails can come via that? I do have 'EDGE' so I should be able to receive e-mails.

Many thanks in advance
Hi There,

I believe you need to upgrade you hotmail to account plus in order to do that.
I have the same issue with my account, apparently mine is live.co.uk is still belong to hotmail account. I do need to upgrade my account in order to receive email via blackberry.

I hope this helps.

Thanks
Old 03-14-2009, 05:16 AM   #10
Burrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1000 View Post
lol, turn your radio back on
Radio? I didn't know I turned it off it in the first place, therefore I definitely do know how to turn it back on!

After searching and reading other threads, there's also some jargon I don't understand, but feel like I should! For example;

'BES or BIS'
Resending the service books.
IMAP / POP3
Old 03-14-2009, 05:55 AM   #11
Burrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiho View Post
Hi There,

I believe you need to upgrade you hotmail to account plus in order to do that.
I have the same issue with my account, apparently mine is live.co.uk is still belong to hotmail account. I do need to upgrade my account in order to receive email via blackberry.

I hope this helps.

Thanks
It certainly does help, thank you.

I'm just not sure what the next steps are once I've upgraded my hotmail account. Should everything just start coming through, do I need to add any further settings on my BB anywhere, do I actually need to set up a BB account to accompany my hotmail address, will it be associated through Outlook!? Arrgghh!
Old 03-14-2009, 07:59 AM   #12
Burrel

Ok I've bitten the bullet and bought the hotmail upgrade. I've tested to see if I can receive, which, touch wood, I can. Am I able to get all my existing e-mails in my inbox into my BB inbox though?
Old 03-16-2009, 09:09 AM   #13
nlk10010
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon

Glad to see you've got it sorted but just FYI (and I don't know if things in the UK are different than in the US):

when I added my Hotmail account (through my handset) I had to acknowledge a "Windows Live" Terms of Service. Did that happen to you? I DON'T have Hotmail + (just the regular free version) but it seems that RIM has lately become very well integrated with Hotmail. You should be able to delete or read on the handheld and have it mirrored instantly on the web; as well my e-mails seem to be forwarded instantly.

BTW, the irony is that I'm trying the BB because my TouchPro (a WinMo handset) has all sorts of trouble integrating with Hotmail/Windows Live (e.g. missed e-mails). Go figure!
Old 03-24-2009, 09:16 AM   #14
Spovik

Carrier: T-Mobile

My understanding is that hotmail only has a POP protocol available for BB, and that is only on the premium version. As far as accessing other emails, then you need to use your browser to browse to m(dot)hotmail(dot)com which is the mobile site. It's far from pretty, but it will work at least.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:11 AM   #15
giorgosh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: WIND (Greece)

So does hotmail actually work for BBs or we must pay for it? I have tried twice to register my hotmail address but never received a mail :(
Old 06-12-2009, 08:50 AM   #16
nlk10010
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgosh View Post
So does hotmail actually work for BBs or we must pay for it? I have tried twice to register my hotmail address but never received a mail :(
Well, I have had Hotmail working on my 8800 but starting yesterday it stopped (also received an e-mail from BIS telling me it couldn't retrieve e-mail). I'm going to search the sites to see if this is a general Hotmail outage, a BIS problem, or just me.

Thus, I wouldn't infer that Hotmail doesn't work on your BB. It worked fine; may just be an anomaly.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:25 AM   #17
giorgosh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: WIND (Greece)

Mine is working but getting emails with a delay of some hours... :(
Old 06-16-2009, 08:01 PM   #18
silcar

Carrier: T-mobile

According to Hotmail you have to upgrade to plus, indeed, to get their mail from a mail client (be it Outlook, BB or whatever). Curiously you CAN retrieve ymail, yahoo mail, gmail, etc.
It seems only Hotmail is the one that requires that you upgrade the service to retrieve your mail with a mail client.
I practically abandoned my Hotmail account in account of that. But Gmail (from google) works beautifully and so does ymail (from yahoo) as does yahoo mail.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:14 PM   #19
bigdavep

Carrier: O2-UK

I just tested this by sending a test message to my hotmail account. It worked perfectly and I havent upgraded my hotmail account..
Old 07-06-2009, 06:51 AM   #20
gary965

Carrier: Vodafone UK

New to BB's and I have set up my standard hotmail account and it works fine, receiving emails almost immediately, I can also delete just my handheld or both.

Haven't tried to set up my pop3 account yet as I'm not sure how to forward emails to the BB.
Closed Thread