BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 10:18 PM   #1
walshb6413
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Default GPS on the Pearl?

Please Login to Remove!

Anyone tried a bluetooth GPS system with the pearl yet? I am thinking of getting one, it looks as though after pairing, the built in mapping software can connect to it, but I also wonder how good that will be...

Like, does it have a 3D view for upcoming turns or is it a simple top-down view?

Anyone seen the direction screens?
Old 09-28-2006, 10:19 PM   #2
walshb6413

And when I say "thinking of getting one", I mean the GPS...I love my Pearl
Old 09-28-2006, 10:36 PM   #3
ImagineParadise
Thumbs Must Hurt

I always wondered what the point of pairing a gps system to the pearl was. Is there a fee or something you get around if you tether the 2 together? does the gps system even need to be paired with the phone? whats the point I guess is what Im asking because, as you probably guessed, I havent tryed it.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:53 PM   #4
xyrcncp
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineParadise
I always wondered what the point of pairing a gps system to the pearl was. Is there a fee or something you get around if you tether the 2 together? does the gps system even need to be paired with the phone? whats the point I guess is what Im asking because, as you probably guessed, I havent tryed it.
The point is to use the BB maps application, and no, there is no fee as the GPS unit you're pairing to is bluetooth.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:17 AM   #5
pollock

What we need is a 3rd party like tom tom garmin etc. To offer a solution. It could load on a Micro sd and if we could pair it up with a blue tooth gps.

That is what I have now for my Hp hw6515. I use it only for gps in the car with tom tom. Maybe even a nice car cradle for the pearl. I am dreaming now.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:04 PM   #6
toygixxer

Carrier: at&t

I bluetooth mine with a small GPS reciever from USGLOBALSAT. And it works great. But all i see is map "grids" in the background.
I need maps. Does anyone know where to get them or do i have to use the phone's internet service to go online to Google maps?
Old 09-30-2006, 07:02 PM   #7
walshb6413

Yeah, I would love to see a nice cradle with Tom-Tom software and a GPS module. Nothing beats having John Cleese tell you to turn around!
Old 10-01-2006, 12:08 PM   #8
Ruger

Default Google Maps

Is it possible to use Google Maps with a GPS device, or do you have to use the default map software? That would rule to have Google with GPS!
Old 10-01-2006, 12:44 PM   #9
walshb6413

From Google:
Quote:
Does Google Maps use GPS to figure out where I am?
Google Maps doesn't use any GPS technology, even if your phone has a built in GPS location device.
So not yet....
Old 10-01-2006, 06:35 PM   #10
walshb6413

Well, I took a leap and ordered a Holux 236, with the code on the other GPS thread it worked out to only $85.61 total, with Express shipping and a free vent mount for the phone!

I'll report back how this works when I get it
Old 10-01-2006, 09:23 PM   #11
secrecyguy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: T-mobile

Cool! Let us know how it works out. I am going to get a Bluetooth GPS soon. Let me know which website you got it from.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:02 AM   #12
rvinny
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

I have used BB Maps with my BT GPS. Works great for what it is (FREE) but not necessarily going to replace your TomTom with this. I do give RIM 5stars for adding this feature. You do need internet service because it downloads maps as you drive along. Pretty neat idea actually because nothing to load. Edge was fast enough for my test drive in Philly.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:08 AM   #13
DonutEatinSOB

I tried using this with my iBlue GPS receiver and it keeps throwing a java error and exiting tha application. Now, I also got a demo version of Spot and tried it and it was working with the Pearl. It may depend on the model of you BT GPS receiver as to whether it works or not with the supplied map software.

I like this feature, since I ride my motorcycle this is an easy way for me to not to have a dedicated device just for my bike. When I get lost I can just whip out the 8100, pair it with my GPS unit and find out where I am. I've been meaning to call T-Mobile on the error message but have not go around to it yet. Depends on whether or not its cheaper to buy another GPS unit or the Spot software since it seems to work with my GPS unit.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:22 PM   #14
mwilson

Carrier: TMO

Does it actually display moving maps, or would one have to refresh the screen?

Mike
Old 10-02-2006, 03:42 PM   #15
rvinny
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

The map moves as you drive. As the map moves, it downloads the next quadrant.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:52 PM   #16
billybish

Carrier: Tmo

The Holux 240 works great and looks really nice too. ~$75 on ebay.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:10 PM   #17
walshb6413

Secrecyguy:

I got it from buy GPS Now, Global Positioning System, Navigation Products for Pocket PC PDA, Dell Axim, HP, iPAQ, used promo code AX15 to get 15% off, took my total to 75.06 (paid 3 dollars more for a better vent mount)

Then $10 more for 3 day FedEx was the cheapest option...

Pretty good I thought.

They also have the 240 for about $10 more, but I actually liked the look and added sensitivity of the 236.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:11 PM   #18
walshb6413

I forgot to ask, but does anyone know of any third-party mapping software that might be better than just using BB maps?

I wish TomTom would release something for BB's
Old 10-05-2006, 08:03 PM   #19
walshb6413

Thumbs up I got it!

I received my Holux GPSlim 236 from buygpsnow.com today.

It is much smaller than I imagined it would be! Just slightly thicker than the Pearl and half it's height.

Pairing took about 5 seconds altogether (very easy) the GPS pair code is 0000.

Launched BBmaps and hit "start GPS", it asked what bluetooth source I wanted to use, selected the Holux, and a few seconds later it had my location centered on the map.

The map does rotate to show your direction of travel as "up" on the screen by default, and it does so in small increments, not 90 degree turns, which is nice. By pressing the zero key on the Pearl it brings up a bar that displays the current compass heading and MPH on the lower third of the display.

This section also shows which road you are currently on by name, and when approaching intersections will attempt to display what roads we are "coming up on".

I have to say attempt though because even with a full signal EDGE connection, when there are many streets "coming up", ie: city driving, it cant seem to keep up, often changing to "coming up on Knox St" after I just passed it (at 25 MPH).

Directions work well, allowing the "from" directions to be taken from "center of map" which is useful. As reported by others, there is no audible direction of any kind, no voice or beeps etc.

I didn't notice any lag in map drawing, that is, no blank space was ever shown, the map just scrolled in the direction of travel and seemed pre-fetched.

Thats about all there is to the BBmaps application, and dissapointing as it's features are, it is functional and works as well as expected. It's worth noting that there is no way to check the other data from the GPS, such as battery life, signal and satelite info etc...

Overall, pairing was super simple and it was a solid, reliable experience. The Holux is super small, (the 240 must be really small!) and very sensitive. After initally testing it out on the dash, it worked equally well in the compartment UNDER my stereo and even from my shirt pocket!
Old 10-05-2006, 09:02 PM   #20
Dnepr98

PIN: 204BD6A2
Carrier: T-Mobile US

Hey everyone!
Just got a GPS reciever from a friend of mine ( he didn't need it - so lucky me! YAY! ) Got it paired with no problems, BB Maps woking just fine. My question is - is there a good software that can be installed on 8100 with more options like traffic etc. What software do you guys use and where can I get it?
Closed Thread