Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 12:27 PM   #1
Dude
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Unhappy GPS crippled on AT&T 8820?

Please Login to Remove!

EXCLUSIVE: AT&T neuters the BlackBerry 8820 in favor of the iPhone | BlackBerry Cool

According to the linked article, AT&T will cripple GPS on the 8820, just like Verizon did on the 8830.

Can anybody confirm?
If true, will unlocking and using on T-Mobile re-enable fully functional GPS?
Any other thoughts?

P.S. I'm posting this in rumours because I don't know how solid this info is, but if confirmed, feel free to move this thread to the 8800 forum.

Last edited by Dude; 08-16-2007 at 12:29 PM..
Old 08-16-2007, 12:53 PM   #2
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Damn, that would suck if it turns out to be true. I was thinking about getting one of these babies. I am preparing a burnt offering to the BlackBerry gods in an effort to allow GPS to fully work in the 8820. Hopefully (doubtful) T-Mobile will come out with it at some point so I won't have to worry about it, and I can keep my lambs alive.

Last edited by jeremyckitching; 08-16-2007 at 12:57 PM..
Old 08-16-2007, 02:04 PM   #3
juice901
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900

the article doesn't say that they crippled it in the same way Verizon did. What it says is that the GPS will only work with TeleNav, which BBCool refers to as "neutered" GPS functionality. Nonetheless, it's ridiculous.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:32 PM   #4
jungleland
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: BOLD
Carrier: At&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by juice901 View Post
the article doesn't say that they crippled it in the same way Verizon did. What it says is that the GPS will only work with TeleNav, which BBCool refers to as "neutered" GPS functionality. Nonetheless, it's ridiculous.

OH WOW!! That would be awful. While I am a telenav subscriber, I also use google maps GPS and beyond411 GPS...
Old 08-16-2007, 02:36 PM   #5
Spamdumpster
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8820
Carrier: at&t

If this turns out to be true, here's what I'm going to do, and I recommend that everyone else do this too: Go into an AT&T store everyday and purchase a 8820 for full retail, take it home, use it a little bit, and then return it, because of the GPS. The trick will be to make sure that the packaging, etc., is messed up enough so that they can't simply resell it, but not so messed up that they won't take it back.

That'll learn 'em.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:36 PM   #6
WonkotheSane
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
EXCLUSIVE: AT&T neuters the BlackBerry 8820 in favor of the iPhone | BlackBerry Cool

According to the linked article, AT&T will cripple GPS on the 8820, just like Verizon did on the 8830.

Can anybody confirm?
If true, will unlocking and using on T-Mobile re-enable fully functional GPS?
Any other thoughts?

P.S. I'm posting this in rumours because I don't know how solid this info is, but if confirmed, feel free to move this thread to the 8800 forum.
All this to protect Apple?!?!?! Dear AT&T execs: If Apple is putting out an inferior product at a higher price, screw 'em. They deserve to get killed in the marketplace. Try caring more about giving your customers the best product available than how many yachts Steve Jobs owns.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:57 PM   #7
jax80
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonkotheSane View Post
All this to protect Apple?!?!?! Dear AT&T execs: If Apple is putting out an inferior product at a higher price, screw 'em. They deserve to get killed in the marketplace. Try caring more about giving your customers the best product available than how many yachts Steve Jobs owns.
It's just so impressive what steps companies will take to avoid free market competition.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:06 PM   #8
BlackBerryCoolSimon
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
All this to protect Apple?!?!?!
That's another question altogether - did Apple prod AT&T into this, or was AT&T doing it of their own volition to protect the idol status of the iPhone?
Old 08-16-2007, 03:12 PM   #9
WonkotheSane
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBerryCoolSimon View Post
That's another question altogether - did Apple prod AT&T into this, or was AT&T doing it of their own volition to protect the idol status of the iPhone?
According to the BBCool article, it was to protect the iPhone. They could be wrong, but I don't see how crippling the GPS helps AT&T in any other way.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:24 PM   #10
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

wow three threads on this in a matter of 3 hours lol
Old 08-16-2007, 03:32 PM   #11
cdd543
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT

Sounds more like an agreement with telenav than anything to do with apple. I don't believe it.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:54 PM   #12
Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
wow three threads on this in a matter of 3 hours lol
But wasn't mine first? ;)
Old 08-16-2007, 03:58 PM   #13
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
But wasn't mine first? ;)
its all good
Old 08-16-2007, 05:08 PM   #14
Blackberryer

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

I strongly, strongly doubt this was done to "protect" Apple. The iPhone and BlackBerry really aren't competing with each other. The 8820 can't compete with an iPhone - it's a different device offering different strengths.

This sounds like someone covering RIM's or ATT's ass in order to hoist the blame on the iPhone.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:44 PM   #15
Dude

Default there were 3 questions

So we got a lot of responsens to "any other thoughs"

Now how about the first question, can anyone otuside of Blackberry Cool confirm this rumour? (no disresepect implied)
Old 08-16-2007, 07:40 PM   #16
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
No, to make money collecting monthly telnav subscriptions.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:19 PM   #17
Berry O Black
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: T-Mobile

Very Lame, Let a 1st Timer Apple Actually change another manufactures phone! I guess the ATT stands for Apple Takes over Telecom. You really have to laugh i know others like T-Mobile are. Like Samsung is going to stop Nokia from putting in a 3 megapixal camera or HTC stops BlackBerry from using WIFI, come on. Who really controls LA Cellular, I Mean AT&T I mean Cingular I mean AT&T err i mean "Apple Tells us To". The IPhone Really has made history..lol
Old 08-16-2007, 09:42 PM   #18
Dark Knight
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers Wireless

I don't believe this has anything to do with the iPhone. There is a lot of speculation since there's been no quote from either RIM or AT&T. More likely the move was to improve profits with a joint business deal with TelNav. This would be similar to Rogers where TelNav is the number one product Rogers recommends for use with the Blackberry 8800. A portion of the monthly service fee for using the service goes to the carrier and the rest to TelNav. It's a win win situation for both. Anyway, TelNav doesn't supply a crappy service and offers both services for consumers and businesses.

TeleNav Products
Old 08-16-2007, 10:04 PM   #19
Blackberryer

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
I don't believe this has anything to do with the iPhone. There is a lot of speculation since there's been no quote from either RIM or AT&T. More likely the move was to improve profits with a joint business deal with TelNav. This would be similar to Rogers where TelNav is the number one product Rogers recommends for use with the Blackberry 8800. A portion of the monthly service fee for using the service goes to the carrier and the rest to TelNav. It's a win win situation for both. Anyway, TelNav doesn't supply a crappy service and offers both services for consumers and businesses.

TeleNav Products
Thank you for some sanity. It's incredibly silly to believe this has anything to do with the iPhone. First, the 8820 would not in any way compete with the iPhone. Enterprise users don't buy iPhones, and consumers aren't going to choose the 8820 over Apple's product, it just doesn't have enough bells and whistles. The paranoia exhibited from some corners of the BB crowd over iPhone is pretty funny. As someone who has used BB's and now an iPhone, I find it all pretty ridiculous.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:18 PM   #20
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

yeah, isee this as a rumor and nothing more. when we have some confirmation then i will have an issue with it. and if it did happen it would have nothing to do with Apple, it would be ATT wanting to make money from this service, who knows maybe Telenav might be giving a portion of the fees to ATT for this.