Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 12:28 AM   #1
aseer

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Default Does the 8220 support EDR?

Please Login to Remove!

I note the 8900 is listed as explicitly supporting Bluetooth V2.0 +EDR whereas the 8220 (the Flip) says only Bluetooth V2.0. I thought EDR was part of the 2.0 standard but I just read the standard and it explicitly states that the +EDR is a separate compliance beyond the base 2.0 requirements (namely that you can be 2.0 but not satisfy the EDR requirements).

Does anyone know if the 8220 actually does support EDR (T-Mobile said yes but I would love to see it written down somewhere to be sure)?
Old 01-17-2009, 12:01 PM   #2
BUC
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Movistar

I just found this over Wikipedia:

"Bluetooth 2.0
This version of the Bluetooth specification was released on November 10, 2004. It is backward compatible with the previous version 1.1. The main difference is the introduction of an Enhanced Data Rate (EDR) for faster data transfer. The nominal rate of EDR is about 3 megabits per second, although the practical data transfer rate is 2.1 megabits per second.[8] The additional throughput is obtained by using a different radio technology for transmission of the data. Standard, or Basic Rate, transmission uses Gaussian Frequency Shift Keying (GFSK) modulation of the radio signal; EDR uses a combination of GFSK and Phase Shift Keying (PSK) modulation.[9]"

SO Bluetooth v2.0 already contains EDR

I kept on reading the article and it said that the EDR feature may not be included in all BTv2.0 so you could be right... anyway I havent used much of my BT in the flip so I couldnt compare....

Sorry for misinformation

Last edited by BUC; 01-17-2009 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: To Complete...
Old 01-17-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
aseer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUC View Post
I just found this over Wikipedia:

"Bluetooth 2.0
This version of the Bluetooth specification was released on November 10, 2004. It is backward compatible with the previous version 1.1. The main difference is the introduction of an Enhanced Data Rate (EDR) for faster data transfer. The nominal rate of EDR is about 3 megabits per second, although the practical data transfer rate is 2.1 megabits per second.[8] The additional throughput is obtained by using a different radio technology for transmission of the data. Standard, or Basic Rate, transmission uses Gaussian Frequency Shift Keying (GFSK) modulation of the radio signal; EDR uses a combination of GFSK and Phase Shift Keying (PSK) modulation.[9]"

SO Bluetooth v2.0 already contains EDR

I kept on reading the article and it said that the EDR feature may not be included in all BTv2.0 so you could be right... anyway I havent used much of my BT in the flip so I couldnt compare....

Sorry for misinformation
Thanks for trying to figure it out. The specification/standard is posted at the Bluetooth SIG site (and probably other places). It does say that you can be Bluetooth V2.0 compliant but not support the EDR requirements. The fact that the BB spec sheet for the 8900 says explicitly V2.0 + EDR and the 8220 only says V2.0 got me thinking about it.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
BUC

Yeah you're probably right... but I will only use it to pair it with a Motorola Headset when this one arrive and I think BT v2.0 without EDR is enough.... as long as it support the A2DP
Old 01-17-2009, 01:43 PM   #5
BUC

This reminds me... Has anyone paired a set of Motorola HT 820 headphones with the Flip... ????

If so... how well does it work? (signal loss, volume, quality of sound, battery life for both devices)???

I will mostly use it for music.

thanks
Old 01-17-2009, 01:47 PM   #6
aseer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUC View Post
Yeah you're probably right... but I will only use it to pair it with a Motorola Headset when this one arrive and I think BT v2.0 without EDR is enough.... as long as it support the A2DP
It definitely supports A2DP. Should work fine with the S9-HD for example (which is what I will be getting).

I am going to pick up an 8900 and send back my Flip (the battery life on my Flip is the worst I have ever seen on any phone, it may be a defect but I am not using up my grace period with T-Mobile to find out. I'll post if I note any discernible difference in bt audio quality (I use it to pair with my car audio and those systems are relatively tricked out).
Old 01-18-2009, 04:21 AM   #7
BUC

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseer View Post
It definitely supports A2DP. Should work fine with the S9-HD for example (which is what I will be getting).

I am going to pick up an 8900 and send back my Flip (the battery life on my Flip is the worst I have ever seen on any phone, it may be a defect but I am not using up my grace period with T-Mobile to find out. I'll post if I note any discernible difference in bt audio quality (I use it to pair with my car audio and those systems are relatively tricked out).
I would have bought the S9-HD model if they werent so pricey over Amazon right now... (100$ vs 45$) and only if I knew they fixed the sweat problem they had with the S9...
I know that the HT820 has a problem with the foam that falls off or something like that but I could glue them and solve... but if the sweat is going to damage the earbud speaker then thats a different problem...

Please post again when you try the S9-HD... i will feedback too.
Closed Thread