Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
imposter_bb

Model: 8110
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Req: GPS on 8110 without AT&T data plan

Please Login to Remove!

Is it possible to get GPS working on 8110 from without at&t's data plan? 8110 does have the hardware for GPS right? If someone has gotten this working, can you please point me to the resources/ tutorials?

I did search in the forum but couldn't find much useful. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:08 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Yes, GPS will work to find your location. However, the maps are all downloaded via the network, requiring a data plan. You'll have a nice location but no map to put it on.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:13 PM   #3
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000

You can check mobileGmaps it is an application that allows you to load maps onto the microSD card and it plots the coordinates accordingly. check the gps section here
Old 05-10-2008, 12:14 PM   #4
imposter_bb

Is there an application (with maps) I can purchase/download, so i can use it without the data plan.

My thinking is that 8110 has the hardware, so it should be able to work like a standalone GPS unit (like garmin or tom tom)????
Old 05-10-2008, 12:15 PM   #5
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
You can check mobileGmaps it is an application that allows you to load maps onto the microSD card and it plots the coordinates accordingly. check the gps section here
who knows this might work for you..
Old 05-10-2008, 12:15 PM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

They say MobileGMaps works but it was going to take me a month of Sundays to figure out how to get a map. You have to go the web first on your PC and cut out the map you want, load software to your computer to convert the map to something MGMaps can read, then load it to the BB's SD card. Now you have just that one area. I can ask for directions in less time than that! IMO, Mobile GMaps needs a little more work to make it user friendly.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:49 PM   #7
imposter_bb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
maybe this will work. i will check it out.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:16 PM   #8
logicbomb.de

PIN: 24680918

I apologize, if this is slightly off topic, but I also have the 8110 with the data plan but I just cancelled my free trial of TeleNav since I find Google Maps much better plus I already have a standalone Garmin unit.

Will AT&T disable the GPS on my BB if I don't pay for the Telenav service in the way that Verizon was crippling the GPS on the 8130s?

I have the BB UNLIMITED plan (BIS), if that matters.

TIA!
Old 05-12-2008, 04:49 PM   #9
mbranscum
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: 2161A8BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb.de View Post
Will AT&T disable the GPS on my BB if I don't pay for the Telenav service in the way that Verizon was crippling the GPS on the 8130s?
No. There is nothing for AT&T to cancel since the GPS is built into the phone and runs independently of the data service.

You can use the GPS all day long without ANY data plan. As stated above, the only thing TelNav or a data plan does is download maps.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:05 PM   #10
logicbomb.de

PIN: 24680918

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbranscum View Post
No. There is nothing for AT&T to cancel since the GPS is built into the phone and runs independently of the data service.

You can use the GPS all day long without ANY data plan. As stated above, the only thing TelNav or a data plan does is download maps.
Thanks man for the clarifciation.

I was pretty sure that AT&T had no way of blocking the GPS, but I got a lil freaked when I read about Verizon crippling the GPS so that it ONLY works with the VZW navigator service. 3rd party apps that make use of the GPS seem to be blocked, but I guess that's more of a Provider software issue than anything else. plus I read somewhere that VZW is going to "unlock" the GPS on the 8130s for use with 3rd party apps like Google maps and Garmin and such.

Thanks again!!
Old 05-16-2008, 08:51 PM   #11
hazdaz

Model: ?
Carrier: ?

Hey guys - first post on this site.

I am quite interested in the 8110 with it's GPS feature, but I too have no interest in the data plan.

I understand that the GPS hardware is in the phone itself, but is missing the maps, but can't you just download (or transfer using a memory card) the maps of your region from Google Maps (or similar site) into the phone and store that info there so you can use it like any other non-networked phone?

I cna understand that you can probably only store a limited area, but heck if I could install my whole state, I would be happy.

Does any of this make sense??

If that isn't doable, then getting the 8110 might be totally pointless for me.

Possibly looking to buy an 8110 from AT&T tomorrow, so any help would be great!
Closed Thread