Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 07:36 AM   #1
bsic
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Default SSH terminal app?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,

anyone know of a good SSH terminal application for the BB?
Old 01-28-2006, 08:24 AM   #2
BlackBerryLinks
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: Vodafone

Yes there are several:

http://blackberry-links.com/blackber...administration

Regards,
Bob
Old 01-28-2006, 11:21 AM   #3
packetknife

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsic
anyone know of a good SSH terminal application for the BB?
I've used three different SSH packages on BBs over the past four years and the best by far was http://www.idokorro.com/products/ssh-features.shtml .. it's not free though but works well. -Pk
Old 01-29-2006, 03:33 AM   #4
TheMatrix
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100t
Carrier: T-Mobile

Try MidpSSH - it's great, and it's free!

http://www.xk72.com/midpssh/
Old 01-29-2006, 08:34 AM   #5
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix
Try MidpSSH - it's great, and it's free!

http://www.xk72.com/midpssh/
I don't see the 7130e as a supported device. Has anyone tried it?
Old 02-27-2006, 02:17 AM   #6
manualmaxima
Knows Where the Search Button Is

what exactly is this?
Old 02-27-2006, 08:11 AM   #7
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualmaxima
what exactly is this?
SSH - Secure Shell - is used to access servers running the SSH daemon application. It gives access to the system shell (linux/unix).
Old 02-27-2006, 05:56 PM   #8
aknight

I use http://www.idokorro.com on the 7130e.

It works well.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:07 AM   #9
PingGuy

Model: 8300

I've tried MidPSSH and it locks ups after I type a few commands, it's very frustrating. I was only using it for testing purposes so it didn't bother me too much at the time. Today though I'm going to meet with a potential client who needs 24/7 Linux support for his webserver and if I get the job I'll be picking up Idokorro's app to handle the job.

Previous: Nextel BB7520 w/ Plantronics Discovery 640
Old 02-28-2006, 09:32 AM   #10
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 950
Carrier: robbers

Good choice. However if you have MIDPSSH problems i highly reccomend posting in the Forums or e-mailing the developer at http://xk72.com/midpssh

They are happy to recieve bug reports and usually fix bugs fairly quickly. You could also try a beta build, chances are it was a bug foudn by many and is now resolved.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:53 PM   #11
Getwild2

I got MIDPSSH working on the first shot with my Ubuntu Linux box, works great.

The only question I have is, is there a client out there that I can type into my terminal in "real time"? For instance, when typing in MIDPSSH I have to double-click my wheel to enter "Input Mode", type, then double-click again to send my typed text to my terminal.

Will the idkorro let me type in real time?
Old 07-03-2006, 01:57 PM   #12
Getwild2

Exclamation

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out.

Thanks!

Last edited by Getwild2; 07-03-2006 at 04:13 PM..
Old 07-05-2006, 05:03 AM   #13
dazh

Model: 8800
PIN: 250E532A
Carrier: O2

quick question I have MIDPSSH installed but have two questions:

1) can you type in the console window realtime

2) how do I change the settings so that the first letter is not capitalised all the time?

Thanks
Old 07-05-2006, 08:35 AM   #14
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

1) Yes -- go to the menu, it's called 'type' -- on GPRS though due to slow latency it's not a great way to type, unless you are simply a slow typer..

2) This is behaviour of the Blackberry not the MIDPSSH software.. and i think it's unavoidable..
until someone writes a Blackberry specific MIDPSSH. Unfortunately, the .COD version of MIDPSSH is still MIDP and is not blackberry specific.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:53 AM   #15
pauldumais
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazh
quick question I have MIDPSSH installed but have two questions:

1) can you type in the console window realtime

2) how do I change the settings so that the first letter is not capitalised all the time?

Thanks
I highly suggest that you try Idokorro Mobile SSH as it does not have those problems. You can download it over the air using your BlackBerry from http://mobile.idokorro.com .
Old 07-09-2006, 10:54 AM   #16
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

is Mobile SSH free yet? I won't pay for simple network services such as SSH. No way no how.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:26 AM   #17
pauldumais
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by headtailgrep
is Mobile SSH free yet? I won't pay for simple network services such as SSH. No way no how.
Unfortunately we cannot make it free, we have to pay our developers and support team who continue working on improving our products making them the best out there and providing our customers excellent support.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:03 PM   #18
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldumais
Unfortunately we cannot make it free, we have to pay our developers and support team who continue working on improving our products making them the best out there and providing our customers excellent support.
I second it. I used to work for Idokorro Mobile and the Mobile SSH software is a top notch program. It's much more fun to use than midpssh.

midpssh is good free software, but in the area of "realtime" capabilities, it is a bit lacking. Last I tested for realtime capabilities, MobileSSH is less laggy during fast typing on slow GPRS networks, due to better packettization algorithms, and also has a splitscreen editable "Local Input" (also compatible with SureType) that can be used for instant feedback of typing while you watch the remote window -- excellent for composing commands, or using chat clients on the remote end -- you can even transmit command after command (IRC or UNIX or whatever), and keep typing -- and being able to see your typing -- while the remote is slightly lagging due to network latency. Far less frustrating than midpssh for frequent and/or long term usage. It behaves intuitively -- you type command, hit enter, type command, hit enter, type command, hit enter -- just like using a local console, but you see realtime feedback of your typing without lag at all (not even GPRS lag), and without clicking thumbwheels, and with the terminal screen permanently in view.

And even if you want to turn off this Local Input splitscreen at the bottom (and forgo instant feedback), the packettizing algorithm built into MobileSSH, ensures that fast typing is transmitted realtime in bursts, so that typing typically never lags more than a couple of seconds, no matter how fast you type.

If maximizing realtime ability over telnet/ssh is your priority, there is nothing except the Idokorro product -- the trial is free anyway...
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 07-09-2006 at 05:08 PM..
Old 07-10-2006, 08:57 AM   #19
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

You can't argue that people who worked on it need to get paid, but you also can't argue the fact once MidpSSH came out, the price of MobileSSH was cut in half! Ikodorro was quite lucky to run without competition for so long, and now Open Source made free SSH a reality on Blackberries!

All in the name of free speech and competitive spirit, i appreciate what MobileSSH has done, but when I just want to occasionally admin my boxes at home and at work, i'd rather do it with something that works, and is free. I don't care about little details, just show me what works.

Nonetheless, you have MidpSSH and Ikodorro mobile SSH. The end user will choose accordingly.

Always look around for alternatives too.. who's to say we won't have more competitors in this market in the near future as the Blackberry continues to improve?
Old 08-24-2006, 12:32 PM   #20
jeevessnsv

Model: 7280
Default Fresh comparison of Mobile SSH and Midpssh

Ok, so I was strongly interested in getting telnet/ssh on my 7280, for remote administration and for MOOing, and also for the sake of completeness (is there anything Blackberry *can't* do?). I tried Midpssh first, and I was disappointed. At least on the 7280, it's hardly even useable. I could connect to a couple of MOOs, but it was exceedingly slow, and occasionally dropped bytes I was sending. As for connecting to remote hosts for control purposes, the SSH negotiation takes several minutes, and then sometimes fails anyway. This is a known issue, as I read on the Midpssh site, but no one has found a fix yet. The client also defaults to SSH1, which is irritating, because many admins (myself included) have disabled SSH1 on their servers.

I installed MobileSSH earlier today, and it's vastly better. It's written specifically for the Blackberry, so that may be part of the advantage. Connecting to the same MOOs, it's much faster and more useable. It also defaults to line-based input in a sub-window, which is definitely the way to go on handhelds.

Idokorro has done some fine work here, and I plan to buy it next time I have some spare cash. I'm still not sure remote administration via SSH on a handheld is all that worthwhile, but I could see using it for restarting the occasional daemon or killing some runaway process.

PS I understand the concern about proprietary software for such a basic form of connectivity as telnet. However, the economics of software development work differently in the handheld market, because there are so many niches. If telnet/ssh on blackberry became hugely popular, with millions of users, then we could expect to see high-quality free implementations, but until then, a focused group of developers who craft a useful product is going to expect to be rewarded for their efforts in a more direct manner (i.e. with cash).

Last edited by jeevessnsv; 08-24-2006 at 12:37 PM..
Closed Thread