Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 04:42 PM   #1
hkozlovsky
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Using My Unlocked 8100 in Israel to Get my Email

Please Login to Remove!

I want to get access to my emails while in Israel on my US Pearl 8100. I want to know what is possible here. This is what I was told by a relative.

1. Get my 8100 unlocked - should not be a problem from what I read in the threads

2. My relative will give me his SIM which will allow his local cell number to work and give me access to GRPS access to the internet

Questions:

1. Can I then get access to emails to my phone through possibly a pop3 connection.

2. Will my Pearl look and feel be totally different? If so in what ways?

3. Is my goal a workable solution?

Thanks
Old 11-05-2007, 04:49 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

1. Yes. How do I unlock my BlackBerry? - BlackBerryFAQ
2. In that case, his carrier MUST have the BlackBerry Data Plan on that account, and you must register your BB to their network, in order to get push email to your BB.

You might be better off getting a TMo International Data Plan, and using your own SIM and Data.

1. yes, that is how it works. BIS - BlackBerry Internet Service.
2. same as always. Do you get your email on it now?
3. Yep. Just there are variables you must decide on. It will cost more (international anything costs). But it is a workable goal, people do it everyday, all over the world.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:03 PM   #3
za_bb

Model: 8900

I've used my T-Mobile (USA) 8100 in Israel several times. I roam on Cellcom's network and I am able to retrieve my e-mail from all 6 of my BIS e-mail accounts without making any changes to my phone.

International data roaming from T-Mo is pretty cheap (check their web site). I only turn on my phone when I want to check e-mail (so that I don't receive incoming calls -- voice roaming is very pricey) and after about a week in Israel, my data roaming charges are usually around $10. I get about 100 e-mails a day.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:04 PM   #4
hkozlovsky
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
1. Yes. How do I unlock my BlackBerry? - BlackBerryFAQ
2. In that case, his carrier MUST have the BlackBerry Data Plan on that account, and you must register your BB to their network, in order to get push email to your BB.

You might be better off getting a TMo International Data Plan, and using your own SIM and Data.

1. yes, that is how it works. BIS - BlackBerry Internet Service.
2. same as always. Do you get your email on it now?
3. Yep. Just there are variables you must decide on. It will cost more (international anything costs). But it is a workable goal, people do it everyday, all over the world.
I am trying to avoid the blackberry international plan. It has outrageous costs. I do not mind using another service provider phone over there also with a different phone number.

I am looking for the cheapest way to get pushed or pull email somewhat reasonably in cost and not have to rely entirely on my laptop when at a hotspot.

Thanks
Old 11-05-2007, 05:20 PM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

There is no such thing as pull email with a BlackBerry.

You haven't said which carrier your friend is with, you need to investigate that carrier the SIM is on and see what Data possibilities they have.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:26 PM   #6
hkozlovsky
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by za_bb View Post
I've used my T-Mobile (USA) 8100 in Israel several times. I roam on Cellcom's network and I am able to retrieve my e-mail from all 6 of my BIS e-mail accounts without making any changes to my phone.

International data roaming from T-Mo is pretty cheap (check their web site). I only turn on my phone when I want to check e-mail (so that I don't receive incoming calls -- voice roaming is very pricey) and after about a week in Israel, my data roaming charges are usually around $10. I get about 100 e-mails a day.
I just checked it is 1.5 cents/KB through cellcom.

So you are saying if I turn on intrenational coverage and never use it as a phone, it should be overall inexpensive. I guess the idea is to not open attachments? Is coverage good throughout?

Do you rent a local cell phone while there for calls?

Thanks
Old 11-05-2007, 05:28 PM   #7
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

BBs only download the first 2kb of an email. When you open it, and scroll, if there is more than 2kb, you will see a message "receiving more", and the next 2kb downloads and so on and so forth. If you never touch an attachment to view, you will never be charged for it.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:31 PM   #8
hkozlovsky
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
BBs only download the first 2kb of an email. When you open it, and scroll, if there is more than 2kb, you will see a message "receiving more", and the next 2kb downloads and so on and so forth. If you never touch an attachment to view, you will never be charged for it.
This is sounding very good from what you and za_bb write. Looks like I can keep my phone as is, add international service, only use it for email (rent a cheaper local access phone there) and it will work as it does now when I get there for a relatively low cost.

If this is all true, this is great news.

Thanks
Old 11-05-2007, 05:42 PM   #9
mike_187
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/-1)

Edit: Sorry for post besically just repeted what some said

Last edited by mike_187; 11-05-2007 at 05:46 PM..
Old 11-14-2007, 11:08 AM   #10
hkozlovsky
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by za_bb View Post

I just called T-Mobile. They said all I need to do is pay $19.95 (a monthly charge that I can cancel with no penalty when I get back to US) to turn on International Service and I can do unlimited emails sending and receiving even with long attachments for no additional charge. He said just be sure to not have an email open the browser which is when the 15/kb will kick in.

Also he said to make sure that no one calls the phone (leave it off as much as possible) as if even a ring to the phone will be charged $2.99/minute.

Seems like if I am careful and only use email alone, I can gte by for around a flat fee of $19.95.

Not bad.

Thanks
Closed Thread