Old 01-18-2008, 10:25 AM   #1
egatehouse
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8303
PIN: 4ju..
Carrier: sprint
Default Tethering versus unsecured wireless network

Please Login to Remove!

I am traveling and had a question. Is tethering using my 8703e on sprint more secure than utilizing an unsecured wireless network. I need to conduct some financial transactions.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Interesting question. I would *assume* that it would be more secure than connecting to an unsecure wireless network since you're only getting the connection via the USB cable (unless you're using Bluetooth connection).

If you're using the USB cable, you're not 'broadcasting' your signal for others to latch onto.

I'm going to check with my company's Sprint rep to find out since I'm sure I'll get this question from my users.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:18 AM   #3
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

I'm curious about this too. I don't use my Blackberry for tethering, but I have a Verizon wireless data card for my laptop. I was talking with a guy about the security of using the data card vs. an unsecured wireless network, and his comment was "CDMA has never been cracked". He didn't elaborate but I took that to mean using the data card is a lot more secure than an unsecured wireless connection. I would assume the same could be said for tethering with the Blackberry on Sprint since it's also CDMA. Not that I understand the technology... it's all Greek to me.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:33 PM   #4
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Security on a cell network for data is very high. The sending device may change channels many times and the "snooper" would have to have the equipment to follow the signal change. As for unsecured WIFI, you open up to a large range of possible issues. Just about all companys use VPN connections to exchange data with a laptop.
I dont know of a VPN application on a BB but one may exist. I know my company would not connect to a BB via WIFI. They only talk via the standard methods. All data is encrypted as a standard .
Closed Thread