BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 08:17 PM   #21
veks
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: sprint

Please Login to Remove!

my bb is almost 18mb as right now. other times it has been as low as 14mb. no apps added.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:48 PM   #22
stevew
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Z10
Carrier: Koodo Mobile

All you need to do to in order to free up the lost (leaked) memory is just do a hard reboot -- (2 consecutive "Alt-Cap-Del"). All of your lost memory comes back after that. I get this even with the latest firmware. I reboot once every few days. This is so much easier than deleting files etc...

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...
Old 07-25-2007, 07:11 AM   #23
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

I just rebooted now for the heck of it. I noticed I had about 11mb free. I have not rebooted it in a while now. I have quite a bit of apps loaded and everything. Not sure what is causing the issue.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:34 AM   #24
awm62

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

I have the same "memory leak" issue. Sorry, but having to do a "hard reset" every day or so is totally unacceptable. I have owned mobile phone devices with SMS and call log functionality for at least 10 years and have NEVER lost any SMS messages and call logs. This is my first BB (Curve) and the first time I lost SMS messages, call logs and e-mails. RIM needs to fix this immediately or I switch back to a Windows Mobile device.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:40 AM   #25
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

man this sounds like a bigger problem than most thought. Glad I didnt trade in my 8800 for the Curve
Old 07-26-2007, 10:13 AM   #26
veks
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: sprint

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I just checked my phone and it has 13mb left. I don't lose my sms, or call logs but I only get the not so important emails! Maybe I should erase the 2000 sms I have and see what happens!?!
Old 08-31-2007, 11:18 PM   #27
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

anybody found a fix this? the vz or sprint, i still get memory leaks from just uptime
Old 09-01-2007, 11:20 AM   #28
ryldup
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8120
PIN: 24595406
Carrier: T-Mob

I used to have a problem with this on my old WinMo devices. It could be part of the problem or not, but here's what the issue was with those devices. Rather than exiting/closing a program, i would switch to another program which would keep the program running in the background. So I could theoretically still have all my programs loaded and sucking up a hge chunk of memory. If I closed/exited the program when I ws done with it, it would no longer drain the memory.
I agree it would be nice to use the storage card as a drive for some programs. This might help, maybe not, but for what it's worth.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:24 PM   #29
SDCromer
Thumbs Must Hurt

I upgraded the OS in my Verizon 8830 to version 148 and it no longer has the memory leak.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:04 PM   #30
mattk0
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hmmm, I just upgraded mine to the 148 and it still only shows 10mb free and going lower. I've wiped the device clean, including 3rd party and it's still only showing 10mb free.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:31 AM   #31
superkame

Model: 8700

I love my 8830 and the new firmware. Sweetness.

Now if they can get GPS on it...
Old 09-05-2007, 01:04 PM   #32
international

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
All you need to do to in order to free up the lost (leaked) memory is just do a hard reboot -- (2 consecutive "Alt-Cap-Del"). All of your lost memory comes back after that. I get this even with the latest firmware. I reboot once every few days. This is so much easier than deleting files etc...
Hi Stevew,
By chance, is there a way to keep your text messages and phone log from disappearing too? I think the phone is great but the Treos have a better organized sms system and don't loose messages. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:09 PM   #33
international

Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by awm62 View Post
I have the same "memory leak" issue. Sorry, but having to do a "hard reset" every day or so is totally unacceptable. I have owned mobile phone devices with SMS and call log functionality for at least 10 years and have NEVER lost any SMS messages and call logs. This is my first BB (Curve) and the first time I lost SMS messages, call logs and e-mails. RIM needs to fix this immediately or I switch back to a Windows Mobile device.
I agree with you 100% . By chance, is there any update on this issue (lost sms/call log) you may have heard from other users? I have a Treo and despite the fact that I occassionally recieve late text messages, I can reference a message going back a year.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:17 AM   #34
JGrauman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
having trouble doing a hard reset with the alt cap del option, i usually do a battery pull to free up memory, but have a snap on case and it's tough to pull off every couple days to free up the memory, what am i doing wrong? do you hold all three buttons down?
Old 09-07-2007, 05:54 AM   #35
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Carrier: VZW Bold

You hold down the three buttons and it has to be the right caps lock key not the left one.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:45 AM   #36
Lacornista

Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Angry

I have 4.2.2.148 for my Verizon 8830 and still have the leak. I didn't know anything about the issue until Sunday, when 500 emails (I get a ton of messages daily) and all of my call log disappeared. I thought I somehow had caused the loss, but, browsing the forum, I found it was a memory issue. At the point of loss, I had less than 2MB free. So I freed up memory using info found here and all seemed well for a day. I deleted AvantGo and a couple smaller apps yesterday, along with some older messages (I'm set to retain for 15 days). That gave me just below 7MB free. Everything was fine and present when I went to bed. When I got up this morning, all my email and call log--which were there when I went to sleep--had vanished again. This is really not acceptable. Do I have a dud? Seven MB isn't huge but I shouldn't have to worry about being able to take care of business when I'm away from my laptop.

I have some third party apps installed, but not an excessive amount. Is there a way to move some apps to my memory card? My apps in the Application Loader don't equal the 39 MB being used. I don't know where to find the size of the system files. I've only had my BB for a little over a month and I totally loved it UNTIL I was affected by this unreliability. I don't think I have extra languages installed because none appear in the Setup Wizard. I don't have any extra media stored on the device. I'd love to delete the sample photos/music that came with the phone but don't know how. The video is not present.

Would doing a hard reset that restores the BB to out-of-the-box status and reinstalling everything make sense as far as resolving this issue? I'm very upset at the prospect of not feeling like my emails will be there when I need to address them. I know I can Save them individually until I can get to them, but that seems like extra and unneccessary work.

Thanks for any suggestions. I'm very upset.
Linda

Last edited by Lacornista; 09-12-2007 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: Additional info
Closed Thread