Old 06-17-2007, 12:09 PM   #1
Bionicwoman

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Talking How do I get my Contacts into my blackberry

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I'm new to blackberry/PDA etc. Before I had a motorola. As of now, Verizon hasn't received the software that would allow them to transfer my contacts from my old phone to the new one.

I've been searching on the blackberry web site to figure out what I need in order to get my contacts into the blackberry but no help. I have outlook express on my computer --the plan was to type all the contacts in there and then just upload..apparently there must be more I need to do. I got the phone Thursday and have been searching every since. I'm a little ticked off because on the motorola I was paying for the Backup assistant so that when I switch phones all I have to do is download the program onto the new phone and then contacts. HOwever, I found out that the blackberry's dont have the "get it now" button. All I want is to get my contacts in my phone and not have to type them all in on the phone. It would be easier to type them into outlook express or some such program ont he computer and then upload it to the blackberry.

I have the 8830. Can anyone help me with this or point me to a FAQ that explains it in simple terms from beginning to end?

thanks
E. Locke
Old 06-17-2007, 12:19 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Locke, if you can get you Moto contacts out to a text or CSV file, you can import that to OutlookExpress. If not, enter them as you plan and sync to the BlackBerry via Desktop Manager. You can always move with the SIM card and import from SIM to addressbook also, but that won't get more than one number per contact. Good luck.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:06 PM   #3
holden
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: TOFJAGER
Carrier: Cingular-AT&T-Verizon-Nextel
Post Locke...

Hi...

There are two options...
The one just mentioned using CSV or import into Outlook and sync or GOTO your store and have them import your address book off the sim to the new BB. Cingular will do this when we goto the store and have razors we need to migrate to Cingular BB's.

Good luck...

Hmeister
Old 06-18-2007, 12:56 PM   #4
Bionicwoman

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Unhappy Continuing saga

Hi,

Thanks...when I got BB on Thursday, the guy told me that they didn't have the software for the 8830 so he couldn't transfer the contacts from my phone to the 8830. Went to the mall yesterday--decided to stop at a VW there and the could tranfer the contacts.

However, I would still like to be able to link to outlook--because right now I just have the phone numbers in there...need to get the email addresses. so how do I do that? What do I need on BB?

Can you use outlook express or do you need the full outlook program?
Do I need outlook on the BB?
In some of the material I found, it said to go to address book, choose options and change "wireless synchronization" to yes. I don't have that option listed when I go into the options for the addess book.
Did I need to setup the email accounts in a different way?

Thanks
E. Locke
Old 06-18-2007, 01:04 PM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Bionic... You can't wirelessly reconcile contacts without having BES, and it seems you are BIS.

So...
Install Desktop Manager on your PC.

Use Outlook Express or Outlook on you PC to enter the information you want to sync and have your BB.

In Desktop Manager, open and click on Sync, configure it to Outlook or Express.

Do you have Desktop Manager?
Where do I download the latest version of Desktop Manager? - BlackBerryFAQ

Last edited by JSanders; 06-18-2007 at 01:06 PM..
Old 06-18-2007, 01:22 PM   #6
Klotar
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700R
PIN: On Request
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

As JSanders mentioned, you can use Outlook Express instead of Outlook to do your sync's. I wasn't aware that Express was supported at the time I was converting until I saw it as an option after installing Desktop Manager. I didn't have Outlook at the time.

One thing to watch for however, the fields in Outlook map closer to the Blackberry than the Outlook Express ones do. What I mean by that is, I used Outlook Express to do my initial sync's and found that I kept losing my HomeAddress fields in Outlook Express even though it appeared fine in the BB. I would also lose some email addresses (I would have three for a contact in the BB but only two would end up in Outlook Express), that sort of thing.

I decided later on (a few weeks later) to install MS Office 2003 (which included Outlook 2003). I changed my sync pointers from Express to Outlook in Desktop Manager, and sync'd and all of the contacts came over perfectly. So, if you have a choice, I'd suggest getting an eval copy of Outlook, sync'ing and editing your contacts to your liking during the evaluation period, making backups to .CSV and so on, and then possibly registering or not registering Outlook after that as you prefer.

Using Outlook Express (along with a .CSV I had made ahead of time) for my conversion was better than nothing (typing all contacts from scratch) but I did find the 'disappearing fields' that didn't map perfectly between the BB and Outlook Express to be an annoyance.
Closed Thread