BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 07:09 PM   #21
pmuscat

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon
Default double sided tape

Please Login to Remove!

i just received mine today and the side panels had the tape on there allready. only took me 15 min to swap out to the black shell. of and if your swaping it ya dont need to go allt he way threw. stop after 5. the inside tray is black anyway and you dont see it
Old 02-01-2008, 01:06 PM   #22
kjjb0204
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

If I'm just changing from the silver housing to black, can I just skip all the steps after step 4 in the disassembly faq and just put the new front, back and sides back on and leave all of the inside guts alone?

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2008, 12:47 AM   #23
steakman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
PIN: 2826774b
Carrier: Telus-Personal/Rogers Work

Another excellent DIY...with a most awesome set of photos.

thank you Guess...you have helped how many IT depts..??
ours for sure.!!

stk
Old 02-02-2008, 02:31 AM   #24
steakman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
PIN: 2826774b
Carrier: Telus-Personal/Rogers Work

Just as an aside, I was at Pinstack this aft and got some good help on cleaning a track ball. Great. Upon seeing this info here from you Guess, I thought that I would post the link at Pinstack and put the Credits to your name. Well didn't they get all pissy and with their rules and regs (just a tad paranoid), I ended up having the thread deleted because I spelled out the link to this thread..?

Pretty amazing. It has been along time since I was on a (high School), forum that had "points" and a rating system and oh goodness...can't do a PM till ya got so many posts. Can't do a URL till ya got so many posts. Just what is up with that huh.?

My intention was simply to pass on some very good and usefull information and give credit to where it belonged....suffice to say that with their 300k + members....this information came out Here first..!!

What a bunch of egowrapped teenaged B$hit. High school was 35 yrs ago and I simply do not have the time for trivialities such as that found at Pinstack dot freaking com..!! That was my last time there and I'm here to stay unless othwerwise notified.

thank you,

stk

Last edited by steakman; 02-02-2008 at 02:38 AM..
Old 02-28-2008, 08:31 AM   #25
a.petrov
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9105
PIN: N/A
Carrier: orange moldova

great thread! thank you author!

i am definitely going to change my keyboard (it is french an has AZERTY layout - PITA when typing).

can anyone please help - what about the soft settings - the buttons will say QWERTY in new layout, but when pressed will give the same AZERTY on the screen.

how to change input language? now i have English (US) in language settings and when i press the top row of buttons i get AZERTY. so it is not like in Windows where if i change the language, the keyboard layout virtually changes.

please help who knows how to overcome this
Old 03-16-2008, 08:30 AM   #26
anandgu

Model: 8800
Carrier: Starhub
Default Photos of the Disassembly - Link not available

HI

I am trying to access the photos of the disassembly. My phone charger connectoris broken and i need to change the same.

Appreciate if you could point me to the right link where it is available.

Regards.
[email address]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess View Post
The first BlackBerry 8800 Disassembly photos are now

available at BlackBerryFAQ.com

8800 Disassembly - BlackBerryFAQ

It took me a while, but they're now up! 8300 is next :D
Old 03-16-2008, 04:56 PM   #27
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

BBFAQ is down right now. It should be up next week some time. For now, the best bet would be to Google for another tutorial somewhere.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:29 PM   #28
ds8830nl
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Telus

Any word on when you'll be getting the FAQ back up??
Old 05-02-2008, 11:11 PM   #29
Stinkfoot

Carrier: Verizon

Regarding replacement of the lens without changing the entire case... There is a huge difference in price, even at cnn.cn ($30 vs. $4) so I just had to get one. After much pondering and inspection I finally figured out how to remove it:

First, the faceplate is attached with the double-sided "tape" and two small clips at the top. Don't bother trying to undo the clips as the adhesive is holding the lens down. What you need to do is insert something between the lens and faceplate and run it all the way around to release the lens. Because of the way the adhesive behaves, the smallness and sharpness of the tool you will be using, and the extremely thin and flexible edges of the faceplate, you have to go about it in a certain way.

1. Complete the disassembly instructions to the point where you have the front faceplate detached.

2. With the front faceplate in hand, examine the thin seam that runs around the lens: it borders the rails, the tops of the keys, around the ball, and at the top of the faceplace just as it rolls over the top. You can see it on the BB even while it is assembled (and can probably remove it without disassembly however you will be risking scratching your LCD--its not worth it).

3. Using the smallest/thinnest flathead screwdriver you can find, start on the bottom (next to where the ball would be) and push the screw driver in so that it is inserted between the lens and the faceplate.

4. Pinch the faceplate between your fingers and push screwdriver away from you. You want the screwdriver moving in a perfectly straight line AWAY from where you are holding it. The import thing to note here is that you want to be careful that you don't run the screwdriver through your hand or tear/break/deform the faceplate in the process. Also, since the screwdriver you will be using is so small, be careful not to break it by prying. There is NO prying involved in any of these steps. If you are using it like a crowbar, you are doing it wrong.

5. Work your way around and up the side. Note that once you let go of the lens it will grab that adhesive again and you will have to repeat the process. I pushed little strips of paper in between to keep it from sticking.

6. Once you have the bottom and the side apart, work the other direction to get the other side loose. Leave the top for last.

7. For the top edge, the adhesive is situated between the earpiece hole and the clear area of the lens. DO NOT run the screwdriver along the top lip. Work the screwdriver across this area by inserting from bottom direction, inserting it only partially (up to the point where the ear hole is) taking care not to run it along that top edge.

8. Once the adhesive is loose all the way around, lift the lens off by using the top edge as a hinge. There are some tiny little hooks there that anchor it to the top lip, however I had to luck in loosening these from the back. You can probably try, but I ended up just bending it upward until it broke loose. The thing is, the adhesive is so strong that those clips are redundant and you likely won't miss them just as long as you are using a good adhesive to reattach the new lens. One of mine broke off, the other was intact.

9. Now that the lens is off, you will need to clean all that adhesive off the faceplate. Luckily, most of mine stayed attached to the lens which I was discarding anyways, but the few pieces that remained were somewhat easy to remove. I just kept rubbing it and picking at it until it was all gone. Make sure you get it all off tho of the lens will not sit flat or will be bumpy.

10. Get yourself some of those nifty lens protectors from the same place you got the lens. Changing a screen protector is much easier than changing the lens. I think I paid $1.99 each for mine and they work great.

I also tried this with an 8700 once and it worked about the same way, it was just harder to get the screwdriver inserted to start.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:20 AM   #30
XtremeDave

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks for the great information from everyone!! Has anyone had problems with lint or dirt getting in their BB after replacing the case?

Also, with the sticky tape on the side rails, has anyone had problems with them snapping back on or has everyone re-taped them with double-sided tape?

Thanks!
Old 05-25-2008, 04:59 AM   #31
KoH

Carrier: t-mobile

Hi All,
Was trying to view the pictures, but seems they're not there anymore.
Both, Firefox and IE show me onla the names of the pictures.
Cheers
Old 06-01-2008, 08:50 PM   #32
01strimbullitt

Carrier: verizon

i cant view the pics either...
Old 06-04-2008, 11:58 AM   #33
muck
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: optus

cnn.cn have a video tutorial on how to dissassemble blackberries.

first time is pretty tough. once u know it tho. its pretty simple.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:50 AM   #34
realm249

Carrier: Sprint
Question which tools?

I have a 8830, and I have no idea which torx I'll need. is there a specific size?

thanks for the help, and thanks for the link to cnn.cn it's an awesome site.

-Andy Suarez-
Old 06-28-2008, 06:23 AM   #35
cakvalasc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330m
PIN: 307B4E7D
Carrier: Sprint

all the pictures are broken on this faq ;/
T-mobile 8800 > Sprint 8330m > Sprint 9630
Old 07-02-2008, 12:58 AM   #36
El Blackberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

You will need a T5 Torx, go to Lowes and they sell a 8 in one Torx set. Today I replaced the full housing on my AT&T 8800. I purchased a full silver 8830 housing (without the Verizon logo) from eBay and it fits like a glove. The whole operation took 10 minutes and it was a piece of cake, almost as easy as changing the housing to the 7290. Here is the final product.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4810.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	12047   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4815.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	12048  
Old 07-03-2008, 01:46 PM   #37
NobelNobel

Carrier: Vodafone Egypt

Thanks for your effort..
But I cann't see the pic. just ( x ) on the place of the pic..
any solution ????
Old 07-12-2008, 05:23 PM   #38
smackma

Carrier: don't know

Can't see the pics, either.
Why would one need a disassembly guide, anyway. If it's broken, you can return it.
And if you want to repair or mod it, you will open it yourself, anyway.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:30 PM   #39
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

You're right nobody needs instructions before disassembling a $400 phone.

Any wise person would find some instructions or a guide before disassembling something like that.

Many pictures get removed from websites and then are no longer viewable. We had some as attachments here on bbf but they were lost in a server crash earlier in the year.

My suggestion to anyone needing disassembly guides is to google it and look for disassembly videos. That's what I've always done before disassembling a model I haven't disassembled.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:18 PM   #40
user242
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Are the photos ever going to be repaired/replaced? If not, just remove the whole post, without the pictures we can't do too much.

thanks!
Closed Thread