Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 03:54 PM   #1
johnlatessa
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: iPh 5
Carrier: Verizon
Default Documents To Go: PREMIUM Edition

Please Login to Remove!

I am wondering about the registration and activation process for this software.

Do they issue you a registration number and serial key that is always good for a particular PIN number? Or do they generate a serial that is only good for a specific time period?

As a person who is CONSTANTLY screwing around with the Berry, with different OS's and so forth, I need to know this before I buy Docs To Go Premium.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:25 PM   #2
funkyp56

Model: iPhon
PIN: iPhones have no PIN
Carrier: AT&T
Default I have not tested this theory

just sent some blank documents to your blackberry and save them. Edit them and save them with new names. If that works, why would you ever need the premium version, other then supporting the vendors wallet.

Last edited by funkyp56; 09-12-2008 at 02:26 PM..
Old 09-11-2008, 07:29 PM   #3
pitbull62
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: 30297EB4

what is dome? did you mean some. if so how does this work. id like to have docs to go but dont see it.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:09 PM   #4
JaguarXJ7
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9810
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull62 View Post
what is dome? did you mean some. if so how does this work. id like to have docs to go but dont see it.
Have you installed OS 4.5 on your device? If yes then you probably didn't check them to be installed during the upgrade process. Connect your BB open the app loader you will see it there (likely not checked), check it off and click next.

"Torch 9810 + Playbook 64gb"
Old 09-11-2008, 08:28 PM   #5
JaguarXJ7
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlatessa View Post
I am wondering about the registration and activation process for this software.

Do they issue you a registration number and serial key that is always good for a particular PIN number? Or do they generate a serial that is only good for a specific time period?

As a person who is CONSTANTLY screwing around with the Berry, with different OS's and so forth, I need to know this before I buy Docs To Go Premium.
I had a look at their faq's, but I didn't see anything anywhere. From what I recall of DataViz (and most other developers) from my Palm days is that upgrades within a major version are free; major version upgrades are not.

Within a Major Version - V1.02 to V1.05 - Normally Free
New Major Version - v1.02 -v2.0 - Not Normally Free

This has held true so far with RexWireless (for example) on the BB platform; I have received 2 free upgrades from them for my ToDoMatrix.

If you need to be absolutely certain them ask them.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:45 PM   #6
johnlatessa

I may indeed have to contact them.

See, I'm trying to avoid the same situation that I had with Garmin Mobile.

They issue you an activation code that expires in a few days. So if you wipe your Berry and put a new OS on it, you have to contact them for another activation code.

It's a major pain in the ass, and I'd rather not deal with that. Of course that's now moot anyway since I got a newer phone and their license is not transferrable. Oh well, I got my $100 worth of playing around with it.

With my other products, such as Ascendo Money and Ascendo Data Vault, I can wipe and re-install to my heart's content. They issue a serial key that is based off of your PIN, and it never expires.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:56 PM   #7
camaro322hp

Model: 9100
PIN: N/A

I have the premium edition and I just recently wiped my BB and reinstalled everything from scratch. I was able to use the same activation license they originally sent me, so I don't think there is an expiration date.

However, I did read something about a download limit though. They try and sell you download insurance or something? Anyway, how I got around this was to not enter your license key at first. Just install the "free" version with the BB OS, then download the full version as if you were going to start a trial of it, then enter the license key after downloading the full version.

99 Z28 M6 black
04 GSX-R750 blue/white
Old 09-12-2008, 07:52 AM   #8
redsoxnation

Model: 9650
Carrier: SPRINT

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlatessa View Post
I may indeed have to contact them.

See, I'm trying to avoid the same situation that I had with Garmin Mobile.

They issue you an activation code that expires in a few days. So if you wipe your Berry and put a new OS on it, you have to contact them for another activation code.

It's a major pain in the ass, and I'd rather not deal with that. Of course that's now moot anyway since I got a newer phone and their license is not transferrable. Oh well, I got my $100 worth of playing around with it.

With my other products, such as Ascendo Money and Ascendo Data Vault, I can wipe and re-install to my heart's content. They issue a serial key that is based off of your PIN, and it never expires.
Contact them while its free! Fist thing docstogo doesnt support windows 2007, so no word, exel or powerpoint from any vista OS. Then after you buy their over priced prouct its not for life. You have to pay them $2 more for download insurance for an extra 10 downloads. So you get 11 downloads for life. After that sorry give them another $70 and everytime you call them after you bought their product its $19 for customer service. No thank you!
Old 09-12-2008, 08:56 AM   #9
johnlatessa

So you're telling me that it HAS to be downloaded OTA?

There's no version of it that I can download to my PC and install through the Desktop Software?

If that's the case.... screw it. I won't even bother.

Their website is a complete joke, also. It's ridiculous how many hoops you have to jump through, just to be able to contact them - if you can at all. And I still didn't see a way to do it.

I won't do business with any company I can't just send a mail to, and ask a simple question.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:04 AM   #10
johnlatessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro322hp View Post
I have the premium edition and I just recently wiped my BB and reinstalled everything from scratch. I was able to use the same activation license they originally sent me, so I don't think there is an expiration date.

However, I did read something about a download limit though. They try and sell you download insurance or something? Anyway, how I got around this was to not enter your license key at first. Just install the "free" version with the BB OS, then download the full version as if you were going to start a trial of it, then enter the license key after downloading the full version.
Interesting.... not a bad idea =)
Old 09-12-2008, 10:16 AM   #11
camaro322hp

Model: 9100

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxnation View Post
Contact them while its free! Fist thing docstogo doesnt support windows 2007, so no word, exel or powerpoint from any vista OS. Then after you buy their over priced prouct its not for life. You have to pay them $2 more for download insurance for an extra 10 downloads. So you get 11 downloads for life. After that sorry give them another $70 and everytime you call them after you bought their product its $19 for customer service. No thank you!
To clarify a couple things:

- DocsToGo does support .docx files (files created in Office 2007), but currently not .xlsx files.
- This has nothing to do with Vista, it has to do with the version of Office you are running.
- See my comment above for a workaround to the "download insurance" crap
- I could not find a download from their website. OTA is the only download method I could locate.

99 Z28 M6 black
04 GSX-R750 blue/white
Old 09-12-2008, 10:30 AM   #12
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

x2, all that is my experience as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro322hp View Post
To clarify a couple things:

- DocsToGo does support .docx files (files created in Office 2007), but currently not .xlsx files.
- This has nothing to do with Vista, it has to do with the version of Office you are running.
- See my comment above for a workaround to the "download insurance" crap
- I could not find a download from their website. OTA is the only download method I could locate.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:35 PM   #13
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

You can use the various OTA downloading methods from the forums to save a copy of the install to your PC, so that you can reinstall via the media card (not the DM). Basically, on your BB device, go to the webpage that allows a download and do a Menu -> Page Address, then send that to yourself in email; this is what you shove into the OTA downloading tools to save all the files.

There are a lot of files in the download, 56 files including the JAD. They take up about 2.2mb on your Media card to store. I installed the upgrade from my media card this way, not actually over the air -- all I did was go so far as to get the OTA URL, then used my script to download all the files.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:48 PM   #14
JaguarXJ7
CrackBerry Addict

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop
You can use the various OTA downloading methods from the forums to save a copy of the install to your PC, so that you can reinstall via the media card (not the DM). Basically, on your BB device, go to the webpage that allows a download and do a Menu -> Page Address, then send that to yourself in email; this is what you shove into the OTA downloading tools to save all the files.

There are a lot of files in the download, 56 files including the JAD. They take up about 2.2mb on your Media card to store. I installed the upgrade from my media card this way, not actually over the air -- all I did was go so far as to get the OTA URL, then used my script to download all the files.
That's what I would do too. Good advice.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:18 PM   #15
fkjr2
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
Carrier: ATT

does anyone know if docs to go plan on faxing support of documents?
Old 10-18-2008, 01:19 AM   #16
ddwithoutfear

Model: 8100
PIN: 2455243C
Carrier: TMobile

I'm actually having a DOCS2GO issue as well. Once I upgraded my OS, I also updated DOCS2G0 via the OTA update. This gave me sheets2go, which supports the .xlsx files. Problem is, when I connect through DM it always wants to downgrade DOC2GO. Is there a workaround to this, or a way to save the .cad file to the DM folder in my PC?
Old 10-18-2008, 05:12 AM   #17
PDM

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-Mobile

ddwithoutfear : BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community - View Single Post - Docs to go / OS 4.5 ;)
Old 10-18-2008, 05:55 AM   #18
ddwithoutfear

Model: 8100
PIN: 2455243C

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2008, 09:07 AM   #19
Bop N Joppa

Carrier: T-Mobile
Talking Way around OTA install for Docs To Go

There is a way around the OTA install -- great for backing this up. Go here: support.dataviz.com/support.srch?docid=14179
Old 10-22-2008, 02:51 PM   #20
CzechM8

That's funny.... I just upgraded to 4.5 and Docs2go loaded but I don't have sheets.... only docs and slides..... what's up with that? And after testing, it would not open a docx format file.
Closed Thread