xoclipse
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mo

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercx View Post
So the program is very nice. Maybe the changes could be.

Set the Time for Data to be sent - Reason being is, if I were to go for a long trip and there is only GPRS connection, no EDGE, then maybe it would timeout too much? Slower rate the better and maybe it won't drain too much battery.

Could you have the program to remember my username and password on the blackberry itself so when I click on exit, I don't waste the battery or don't want to be track, I could go back to it by just running the software?

Other than that, it's great.
Next version will let the user pick how often it updates GPS/sends updates to server. It will also remember your username/password on the blackberry too. I'll hopefully have this version out by the end of today.

As for VZW blackberries, the internal GPS is disabled. It may work with a puck, although I haven't tested it(I don't have one).
Old 08-13-2007, 07:10 PM   #22
am_bb8800
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Telstra

A couple of suggestion on this great app,

1. How does one tell what version your running on the BB? maybe add a "About" menu in the BB app.

2. Also can you make an OTA installation for the BB client, or is the BB client only available after registration via an email ?

3. If No. 2 applies how do you install the latest update? Would it be possibly to "push" the app to your BB from your website or request from the web to send an email to the BB with a link to the latest version.

4. Can you make a Guest login on the BBTracker website? Then you can point your friends to the website and they can log in to see your tracking, great for the wife or kids to see where you are in the world. Obviously the "friends" login would need to be restricted to only see what the registered user wants them to see,

But so far it works great, now my boss can tell if I'm on the road or in the pub....

http://www.geocities.com/amux50
Old 08-13-2007, 08:02 PM   #23
xoclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by am_bb8800 View Post
1. How does one tell what version your running on the BB? maybe add a "About" menu in the BB app.
I'll add an About menu. The only way to tell the version is by going into Advanced and then Applications.

Quote:
2. Also can you make an OTA installation for the BB client, or is the BB client only available after registration via an email ?
You can download the application at any time, but you need have login prior to using the program. Registration seems easier to do on the web site than on the device.

Quote:
3. If No. 2 applies how do you install the latest update? Would it be possibly to "push" the app to your BB from your website or request from the web to send an email to the BB with a link to the latest version.
I'll add an auto-update feature where it will notify you of a new version.

Quote:
4. Can you make a Guest login on the BBTracker website? Then you can point your friends to the website and they can log in to see your tracking, great for the wife or kids to see where you are in the world. Obviously the "friends" login would need to be restricted to only see what the registered user wants them to see,
I'll come up with some way to let you add guest logins to your account. The other option is that you have your friends register an account, and then send you a location request on the web site.

Thanks for the comments!

Also, if you go to Blackberry Tracker - Trac you can add Tickets with feature requests or bugs that you have found. This makes it easier for me to track what is going on.

Chris

Last edited by xoclipse; 08-13-2007 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: Added link to support site.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:11 PM   #24
am_bb8800
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks Chris for the speedy reply.

Just on downloading the app after login, I can't see an option on the wed client to download. Do you use the link in the original email that was sent after registration?

Guest Login, yes I had thought of registering a new account to give them access so in the interim I'll do that.

Thanks again for your replies and I'll add comments to the TRAC website and keep an eye out for other tickets with interest.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:23 AM   #25
Dispatcher35
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8350i
PIN: 4026f12b
Carrier: Nextel

I've been using the program for about 5 days now with just 1 or 2 small problems.

A couple of things I was things I was thinking of....
  1. A start page on the website that would show all users locations. (Users could opt in or out of it)
  2. A list of users who have nothing better to do and want to share their location / watch the location of other users. (Massachusetts here with no life).

Marlborough, MA
BB PIN=4026F12b~~AIM=Mikeyp158
[email address]
Old 08-18-2007, 12:15 AM   #26
xoclipse

Default New Version

Hi,

I've got a new version of Blackberry Tracker ready to go. This implements the main stuff that people wanted. You can download it at http://bb.tech9computers.com/download/. I'll start working on some updates to the site now that I've released this version. If you have any bugs with this or feature request please be sure to post them at Trac. Here is the change log:

BBTracker 0.2
08/17/2007
Change Log
--------------------------------------------------

Added an about menu.
Application checks for updates upon launch.
Added an option to remember login information.
Added a settings menu.
Added ability to change GPS update interval in settings.
Added an application icon.
Changed a few UI related components.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:25 AM   #27
am_bb8800
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for the update, I use this app daily and will continue to give you feedback via Trac

PS I like the new icon

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoclipse View Post
Hi,

I've got a new version of Blackberry Tracker ready to go. This implements the main stuff that people wanted. You can download it at BBTracker. I'll start working on some updates to the site now that I've released this version. If you have any bugs with this or feature request please be sure to post them at Trac. Here is the change log:

BBTracker 0.2
08/17/2007
Change Log
--------------------------------------------------

Added an about menu.
Application checks for updates upon launch.
Added an option to remember login information.
Added a settings menu.
Added ability to change GPS update interval in settings.
Added an application icon.
Changed a few UI related components.

Last edited by am_bb8800; 08-18-2007 at 02:40 AM..
Old 08-18-2007, 04:33 AM   #28
powercx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks for the update.

I'm noticing something on the website, is the time offset incorrect? It seems like it's off by a few hours off my time. Is there a way to set the time on the website.

I have to try the new program and will let you know my progress.

It's great that you are working on the program.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:40 AM   #29
Dispatcher35

I also noticed that the time is 4 hours ahead of my local time. I put a ticket in the Trac system.

Marlborough, MA
[email address]
Old 08-18-2007, 04:40 AM   #30
xoclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercx View Post
Thanks for the update.

I'm noticing something on the website, is the time offset incorrect? It seems like it's off by a few hours off my time. Is there a way to set the time on the website.

I have to try the new program and will let you know my progress.

It's great that you are working on the program.
It should detect your time automatically but may be off because of Daylight Savings. Could you tell me the time zone you are in and the time it is displaying for you and what it should be?
Old 08-18-2007, 04:44 AM   #31
Dispatcher35

I'm in eastern time and the time on the website is 4 hours ahead of what it should be. i.e. 00:18 was showing as 04:18

Marlborough, MA
[email address]
Old 08-18-2007, 05:07 AM   #32
am_bb8800
Thumbs Must Hurt

Just to let you know my Timing is almost correct, the BB web client is minus 7 min ??.

Im in +10 AEST and the PC is in sync with the time on the BB as shown in the BB Client screen.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:38 AM   #33
powercx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
It should detect your time automatically but may be off because of Daylight Savings. Could you tell me the time zone you are in and the time it is displaying for you and what it should be?
I'm on the Pacific Standard Time, in California. It's stating 12:40am rather than 5:40am.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:15 AM   #34
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

One suggestion, and possibly one that you could use as a commercial offering (if you're interested, although free would be good too). Make an intranet-hosted version that will pull the tracking data from a BES SQL database (BES 4.1.x and above). No need for an installed application, a clean web-based interface, and adds the internal, non-third-party-hosting requirement that most companies looks for. Looks good.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:58 AM   #35
powercx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
What I meant to say was, on the website, it states 12:40am rather than my time which was 5:40pm. When I posted the time, this board had my time at 7:38pm rather than 5:38pm.

But this board is another story.

Looks like it's 7 hours ahead of my time according to your tracking web site.

Also, what I would like to suggest in the future is to auto-run when login is saved so that way, when I take out the battery, it would auto-run after it reboots. That way, my kids won't know it runs or how to tamper with it. Mologogo has a backgrounder application that auto-run automatically.

Is there something wrong with the server, since 8:30pm today, I can't login with my blackberry to use as a tracker? Not even until now, 11pm PST.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:43 PM   #36
Torben

Model: 8700
Carrier: T-Mobile

You mentioned you don't have a puck to test with. I installed and used it with a Freedom GPS Keychain puck, once I set the puck as my BB's default gps device it worked like a charm.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:18 PM   #37
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

very nice app, just got it set up and works very well. Only done the live tracking so far but will be playing with it to show my travel over the next few days.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:06 PM   #38
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gps-...cking-gps.html

another thread on this app.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:36 PM   #39
dcarkner

Carrier: Rogers
Default traffic...

Very, very nice. I've been looking for this for years. Thanks for putting it out there.

I was thinking that, with enough users, this can become a very useful traffic tool. If users nearby could appear as (anonymous) dots on the map, colour coded for speed, one glance could give an idea about the traffic flow.

Thanks again, D.

ps. my time data is also 4 hours ahead...
Old 08-24-2007, 12:36 AM   #40
xoclipse

Hi all,

I'm glad the application is working well for everyone. I am aware of the problems with the time being off, I will be fixing that soon. I just started this week back at school, so I haven't had much time to work. I'll try to go through all the tickets on the trac site and take care of them by Sunday.

Also, I'd like to rework the interface for showing history. If anyone has any ideas for how it should look please let me know.

Chris
Closed Thread