BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 10:04 AM   #1
koolio
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Interference noise when transmitting data?

Please Login to Remove!

Just got my 7100t and noticed (after using it for half a day) the speakerphone emits a interference noise whenever the unit is transmitting data. It's only loud enough to be heard if in a quiet setting or while on a phone call. I didn't notice this during the first 3-4 hours of use. Has anyone else had this issue? And, can someone help me resolve it?

I'm guessing there was some default setting I changed that started this interference noise as I seemed to notice it after I began customizing profiles, etc.

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2004, 10:10 AM   #2
canesfins
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
Carrier: BTC

It has to do with the speaker phone, look at the thread below on the speaker phone issue.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:19 PM   #3
koolio
Thumbs Must Hurt

Canesfins,

Thanks for your reply. I viewed the other speakerphone thread but I'm having a different issue. I've never used the speakerphone and I'm getting the data trx noise from the speakerphone.

For reference: here's the quote from the other thread, "For those of you who complained that you hear the signal in the speakerphone even after you hang up from a conversation, if you forgot to shut-off the speakerphone, then after you hang up, speakerphone remains active and you will hear the sending and receiving of incoming voice or data coming from the speaker."

Does anyone else have any thoughts or resolutions for this?

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2004, 03:24 PM   #4
Gothalyptic
CrackBerry Addict

Sounds like the speaker isn't correctly shielded. I'm guessing it would be the same sound as if you placed it next to your stereo or TV while it was transfering data?

If so it sounds like the speaker isn't correctly shielded. I'd almost look at a warranty repair to fix it, unless you're adventerous enough to open your phone and shield it yourself.

Please use the Search feature to find a quick answer.

[url]htt
Old 10-12-2004, 03:27 PM   #5
koolio
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yes, that's exactly the noise that comes from the speakerphone - hmm, I'll try contacting Tmobile, first, and see if they'll warranty the phone. I'm assuming it's easier and quicker to go through Tmobile than contacting RIM.

Is anyone else having this problem? Hopefully, not b/c then it leads to just my phone being defective and not all 7100t's being defective - thus, this noise isn't a "feature."
Old 10-12-2004, 03:31 PM   #6
Gothalyptic
CrackBerry Addict

Yep, no doubt would contact tmobile and let them know, it should be covered under warranty unless it was caused by no fault of the phone, like a drop or something. Hopefully people will step to the plate, if noone else is having this problem it is no doubt a defective phone and should be exchanged. If you bought it in the past 14 days, you could even just take it to the store you bought it and get an even swap out under the 14 day buyer remorse.

[url]htt
Old 10-12-2004, 03:46 PM   #7
koolio
Thumbs Must Hurt

I just got the phone yesterday but it was the store's last one. I'll call Tmobile Customer Care and see if they can refer me to another store to (hopefully) just swap the phone with another one.

I'll post to this thread what Tmobile does for me and if it resolves the issue.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:52 PM   #8
Gothalyptic
CrackBerry Addict

Cool, yea let me know, I'm not sure where you live, but I'm an indirect dealer for T-mo (we do have a direct guy on the forums as well) I might be able to help out to my best ability, just let me know.

[url]htt
Old 10-12-2004, 08:15 PM   #9
koolio
Thumbs Must Hurt

So, here's what I went through today (kinda frustrated):
1.) Called Tmobile Customer Care. CSR tells me I should go back to the store to swap it with a brand new 7100t. But, I bought the last one at the store but she still recommends going back to the store I purchased at b/c the sales rep will lose his commission if I swap it at another store.
2.) So, I call the store where I purchased it (Harvard Sq., Cambridge, MA). They tell me they're sold out and I can call back in 1 week (when they should be getting more in stock) or to call other Tmobile-owned stores.
3.) I call 2 other stores. The second one "has a couple" in-stock. I ask if he can reserve one for me to pick up within an hour. He tells me they can't reserve phones for people. Then, he proceeds to ask, "What's the situation? New customer/upgrade?" I tell him I want to exchange my defective unit with a new one. He tells me, "Oh, you have to go back to the store you bought it from - I can't do exchanges." I proceed to tell him that that's not true. He then says, "Ok, but I still can't reserve one for you."
4.) I get off the phone with the rep and drive to the store within 1 hour. As I walk in, a guy is buying a 7100t. After he wraps up that sale, he tells me they just sold the last one...GRRRR!

Sorry for the long post, but my guess is he didn't want to "waste" a 7100t on an exchange so he could sell it to someone else and get the commission (assuming, he wouldn't get a commission for doing an exchange). So, I now have to wait a week to see IF a Tmobile store has a 7100t for me to exchange with.

Where are you located and how could you help me out? I'm in Cambridge/Boston, MA. Thanks.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:33 AM   #10
masonfoley
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default Design flaw?

My impression is this is a general problem and not merely a defective unit. PDAStreet has a couple of threads where this is discussed. My guess is if everyone paid close enough attention, they would hear this noise (I do) and the speakerphone does not need to be activated to hear it.

It doesn't bother me terribly (although I've only had the 7100t for just over a week) but I can see how that could be quite annoying during a meeting or in other quiet settings where it might not be appropriate.

"If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. No Nation could preserve it's freedom in the midst of continual warfare." -- James Madison.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:30 AM   #11
koolio
Thumbs Must Hurt

Update:
While I was on the phone with Tmobile Customer Care to get a new 7100t mailed to me, I decided to take the battery out of the unit (FYI, even when my phone was not trx'ing data, the speakerphone would be "hissing"; which could easily be heard if you held the speakerphone by my ear). The hissing stopped (obviously, since there's no power). After re-inserting the battery, the hissing and interference noise disappeared.

Masonfoley, the intereference noise I was getting drowned out about 40 - 50% of the volume while on voice calls (non-speakerphone mode, to boot). Now, when the unit's transmitting data, and if I hold the speakerphone by my ear, I can just barely hear some noise (which sounds similar to morse code) but I think this is normal. Voice calls are pretty much perfectly clear, now.

I hope this was just some whacky issue that re-inserting the battery resolved and isn't a sign that the unit is somewhat defective...
Old 10-13-2004, 09:39 AM   #12
masonfoley
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default Woah

Well, you know what? I'm not terribly surprised to hear your speaker problem is a bit worse than my initial impression. One of the quirky things I have experienced with the phone is the earspeaker (not the loud speaker that can be activated) failing altogether. Meaning, I was unable to hear the call even though the phone was placed up to my ear and it didn't matter if I was receiving a call or placing a call. I had to reset the device to "fix" that issue.

Another issue was when my loudspeaker began emitting a tone when I jogged back and forth between the selection of previewing two ring tones. The sound persisted even after I exited the ringtone menu (like it was "hung" on one note). I had to power the device off (or remove the battery, not sure which one now) before the phone returned to normal.

I'm guessing that there is a lot more marriage between the OS Software and the hardware components in the phone and this 1st Gen version of the 7100t is showing considerable flukes as a result.

"If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. No Nation could preserve it's freedom in the midst of continual warfare." -- James Madison.
Closed Thread